Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

If Hillary and Trump are so bad why won't USA citizens vote for someone else? There are some other candidates I think...

As I understand it, there such a 2-party preferred system that a vote to anyone else would essentially be a wasted vote. If masses of people did it though i think it could work. Its a fair point

4 hours ago, Mestiv said:

If Hillary and Trump are so bad why won't USA citizens vote for someone else? There are some other candidates I think...

2 hours ago, Delightful said:

As I understand it, there such a 2-party preferred system that a vote to anyone else would essentially be a wasted vote. If masses of people did it though i think it could work. Its a fair point

Pretty  much what Delightful said. Back in ththe 2000 election, George W. Bush vs Al Gore, Ralph Nader was a third party candidate. He gained a sizable following, but Twimom would cheerfully proclaim that "A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush!" Bush won that election. 

12 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Pretty  much what Delightful said. Back in ththe 2000 election, George W. Bush vs Al Gore, Ralph Nader was a third party candidate. He gained a sizable following, but Twimom would cheerfully proclaim that "A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush!" Bush won that election. 

In a country where voting isn't compulsory and turnout tends to be shamefully low by the standards of most democracies, campaigns are mostly a battle for the large section of the population that doesn't hold strong political opinions.  A third party that gets a significant chunk of the votes is likely getting idealists of some shade.  So, if you get 0-1 percent, it's "Oh, you and your protest vote."  1-10 percent, "You helped the other party win!"  Between 10 and 51 is borderline impossible - Perot pulled off that area in '92, definitely splitting the right-wing vote, but with the way the electoral college is structured, he still got zero of the real votes required to make a blip on the map.  It's a system that requires you to have more of a regional base.  The last third-party candidate to get any electoral votes was George Wallace running on a pro-segregation platform in '68.  He took some states in the deepest of the deep south.

Edited by ThirdGen

Tales from the Cursed Child Headscratchers page....

Spoiler

User 1: If Time Turners are so powerful, why would the Ministry give one to a student just so she can complete her classes? That's quite the risk. 

User 2: Hermione is a model student, so there's no risk that she'd misuse it. 

Me: No, but accidents happen. What if someone found it and fiddled with it, then changed the past by accident, or Crabbe and Goyle found out what she had and overpowered her? Violent acts tend to happen quickly, and Hermione wouldn't have time to defend herself with magic.

User 2: Your argument is just silly. You're assuming that whoever found the Time Turner would know what it was, have a desire to go back in time, AND have the knowledge to change the past.

No....that's actually not at all what I argued....and I'm actually very tempted to link to the War on Straw page in my upcoming rebuttal. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Tales from the Cursed Child Headscratchers page....

Reveal hidden contents

User 1: If Time Turners are so powerful, why would the Ministry give one to a student just so she can complete her classes? That's quite the risk. 

User 2: Hermione is a model student, so there's no risk that she'd misuse it. 

Me: No, but accidents happen. What if someone found it and fiddled with it, then changed the past by accident, or Crabbe and Goyle found out what she had and overpowered her? Violent acts tend to happen quickly, and Hermione wouldn't have time to defend herself with magic.

User 2: Your argument is just silly. You're assuming that whoever found the Time Turner would know what it was, have a desire to go back in time, AND have the knowledge to change the past.

No....that's actually not at all what I argued....and I'm actually very tempted to link to the War on Straw page in my upcoming rebuttal. 

Well, if you give them straw(or make them aware that they have some), things will almost definetly start burning.

On a positive note, a friend of mine got a pug and I visited the cute little energy bundle  (and my friend, I guess. :ph34r: ). He was just adorable and running across my legs all excited.

5 hours ago, Mestiv said:

Americans like to grouse...A lot. Each election is always "erhmehgawd, the candidates are awful! This is the worst election ever! Sick of voting for the lesser of two evils, etc." Mainly because a candidate that does not line up 100% with one's belief must be dishonest or corrupt or evil<_<

34 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Well, if you give them straw(or make them aware that they have some), things will almost definetly start burning.

On a positive note, a friend of mine got a pug and I visited the cute little energy bundle  (and my friend, I guess. :ph34r: ). He was just adorable and running across my legs all excited.

Fawn pug, black pug, brindle pug? Name? These are important details. :ph34r:

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I will watch and listen, even to those who derail 

I will remain stealthy even when called out

I will randomly respond to topics I have no reason being in

The order of the Forumlurkers must rise again

Does this mean Kobold left the Princedom of Reputationa to lead the Order of the Forumlurkers? :mellow: 

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Separately, on their own computers, saying nothing to the others. There has always been an unknown number of Forumlurkers, as their numbers are great but oft unnoticed.

If they're logged on and lurking you can see them but also I'm having trouble typing because of Elsa and Olaf tsum-tsums thanks @Queen Elsa Steelheart

edit: my apologies, that was sven.

Edited by Delightful