Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

2 minutes ago, Delightful said:

If they're logged on and lurking you can see them but also I'm having trouble typing because of Elsa and Olaf tsum-tsums thanks @Queen Elsa Steelheart

edit: my apologies, that was sven.

Hey! You said my tsums tsums were cute! You're more cold hearted than Elsa! 

Just now, Delightful said:

They're adorable but they're also on my keyboard! :P 

(We're having a sleepover and its nearly 1am and much silliness is happening)

But they needed a nappppp! We should pull an all nighter and cuddle tsum tsums. :P

1 minute ago, Queen Elsa Steelfart said:

But they needed a nappppp! We should pull an all nighter and cuddle tsum tsums. :P

Am I about to be ninjad or am I double posting? Where's schrodinger when you need him?

I still say Olaf Tsum-tsum looks like a rice ball and we can eat him if we get hungry.

Just now, Delightful said:

Am I about to be ninjad or am I double posting? Where's schrodinger when you need him?

I still say Olaf Tsum-tsum looks like a rice ball and we can eat him if we get hungry.

Your face is a rice ball. :P also, is schrodinger a new tsum tsum? :P

6 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Don't eat me!

I might disappear and stop posting nonsense soon because my computer is making like baymax and

tumblr_inline_nlufu7BcQg1rd2o9a.gif

Your computer is petting a cat and saying "Hairy BABY! Hairy BAbyyyy….." :huh::P 

1 minute ago, Zathoth said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles

IÄ IÄ PUG-TWIGURATH THE GODDESS OF THE LIBRARY WITH A THOUSAND PUGS

Have you read any Lovecraft, by the way? Just curious.

I have not. 

10 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I have not. (read any Lovecraft)

Lovecraft is one of those authors whose ideas are better improved upon. He writes in aa flamboyant style which leaves itself open to effortless parody. 

And if you don't like Rowling's casual racism...oooh, boy, are you in for a ride!

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I have not. 

Well then :ph34r: (Link spam incoming)

The Colour Out of Space (One of my favorite things ever)

The Dunwhich Horror

The Call of Cthulhu (Which I personally think is somewhat overrated, but just for the sake of pop culture, you know)

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Lets start with that.

3 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

Lovecraft is one of those authors whose ideas are better improved upon. He writes in aa flamboyant style which leaves itself open to effortless parody. 

And if you don't like Rowling's casual racism...oooh, boy, are you in for a ride!

I still think the works themselves have some power however, even if they are easy to make parodies of. He is fantastic for inspiration though.

Thats one of those things I have to pretend isnt there, or is the narrator talking or whatever XD

4 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

The Dunwhich Horror

The Call of Cthulhu (Which I personally think is somewhat overrated, but just for the sake of pop culture, you know)

Lets start with that.

I still think the works themselves have some power however, even if they are easy to make parodies of. He is fantastic for inspiration though.

Thats one of those things I have to pretend isnt there, or is the narrator talking or whatever XD

What?! No At the Mountains of Madness? The Case of Charles Dexter Ward? :P

Sometimes I think the obsession with Lovecraft sets cosmic horror back... but it's also the most "accessible" form of it...sigh...

Just now, Orlion Determined said:

What?! No At the Mountains of Madness? The Case of Charles Dexter Ward? :P

Sometimes I think the obsession with Lovecraft sets cosmic horror back... but it's also the most "accessible" form of it...sigh...

I knew I was forgetting something!

The Mountains of Madness is insanely long though, I cant force her to read all of that XD

I agree, honestly. Lovecraft is the Tolkien of horror, I guess, in more ways than one. At least he can actually be scary, not like that hack who seems to have undeservedly gotten the title of "The master of horror" and couldn't scare his way out of a daycare made out of wet cardboard.

....Anyway.

Have you read Ligotti yet?

4 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I knew I was forgetting something!

The Mountains of Madness is insanely long though, I cant force her to read all of that XD

I agree, honestly. Lovecraft is the Tolkien of horror, I guess, in more ways than one. At least he can actually be scary, not like that hack who seems to have undeservedly gotten the title of "The master of horror" and couldn't scare his way out of a daycare made out of wet cardboard.

....Anyway.

Talking about long Lovecraft stories, maybe it's because I read the translations but am I the only one that thinks that while his short stories are not bad at all, his actual novel lenght stories are kind of boring?

9 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

Talking about long Lovecraft stories, maybe it's because I read the translations but am I the only one that thinks that while his short stories are not bad at all, his actual novel lenght stories are kind of boring?

I honestly havent read all of At The Mountains of Madness, or Dream Quest, so I cant say XD

42 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

When it comes to casual racism in historical sources, I tend to view it more as a peek into the popular mindset of the time, the assumptions that were taken for granted, "facts" so commonly held as true that no one ever bothered to check them. Every era has its so-called acceptable targets—which does not, in any way, make the fact that they're considered such right or even acceptable—but I find that when I'm trying to write within a historical era, seeing what the acceptable targets were and how they were treated both in fiction and in reality gives insight into what everyday life in that era may have been like. 

34 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

The Dunwhich Horror

Lets start with that.

I'll add them to my list. :ph34r: 

38 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I agree, honestly. Lovecraft is the Tolkien of horror, I guess, in more ways than one. 

An apt description. For any genre to progress, they have to move beyond their predecessors.

I got a couple Ligotti books, have not read them yet.

12 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

An apt description. For any genre to progress, they have to move beyond their predecessors.

I got a couple Ligotti books, have not read them yet.

Like China, even if he still uses old Howards prose XD

Songs of a Dead Dreamer/Grimscribe, Teatro Grotesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done? Those are the ones that are not out of print.

Well and his non-fiction book The Conspiracy Against The Human Race.

3 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

Let's see... I got Grimscribe and Noctuary.

Ah, nice... isnt Noctuary out of print? was pretty sure it was.

I guess I should have told you that Penguin has Songs of a dead dreamer and Grimscribe in one book earlier huh.