Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Uh...Sorry. What's NPR?

...irrelevant side note!

The UK is airing season 6 of MLP. I actually haven't talked Pony here (or in general) for a while. Work means I kept missing episodes when they first aired, so I decided to just leave it until I could get the time.

...well, the UK is airing the season 6 finale early so. Watching that. Halfway through, and my main takeaway?

Hide contents

Trixie, stop flirting with Starlight Glimmer, and stop being so delightful. Starlight, stop being wonderful.

I'm lying. Neither of you should stop doing those things.

National Public Radio. They're one of the few news outlets here in the US that aren't funded primarily by advertisers or beholden to the ratings war, so they're wonderfully devoid of the screaming and overblown moralizing that characterizes outlets like Fox and MSNBC. 

I should get caught up on that show. :mellow: 

50 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

National Public Radio. They're one of the few news outlets here in the US that aren't funded primarily by advertisers or beholden to the ratings war, so they're wonderfully devoid of the screaming and overblown moralizing that characterizes outlets like Fox and MSNBC. 

I should get caught up on that show. :mellow: 

Actually...what is the political spectrum of media? I know of liberal leaning shows, like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight, but not sure on media outlets...

I'm kinda worried I talked too much and bugged people about it. But. Season 6 finale. It was alright.

1 minute ago, Quiver said:

Actually...what is the political spectrum of media? I know of liberal leaning shows, like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight, but not sure on media outlets...

I'm kinda worried I talked too much and bugged people about it. But. Season 6 finale. It was alright.

So when you say "flirting" how serious flirting are you talking about on a scale from nun to Shiny Sparkle.

Just now, Quiver said:

I'm mostly familiar with Fox, which is firmly on the right side of the spectrum (and wants everyone to know it). There's MSNBC, which is firmly on the left (and, again, wants everyone to know it). CNN is closer to the center than either of those, while still leaning left; NPR leans left a bit too, but it's closer to the center than any of the other major networks. Then there are online outlets like Huffington Post (strong left) and Breitbart (strong right), and we don't talk about BuzzFeed. :ph34r: I know there are other outlets, but after having most of my teenage years occupied by Fox News' talking screaming heads, I stick to NPR now. 

27 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Far right: Fox News
Centrist: CNN
Center-left: MSNBC

Those are the main ones.  PBS, our public TV network, tends to have hosts that are kind of scattershot, but a little more humanist and thoughtful than the cable networks.  There's some outlier stuff as well, like RT, which is far-left on everything not related to Russia, and Russian nationalist outside of that. 

21 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

It's also worth noting that personal political views color how people tend to see news outlets; people on the right would call Fox centrist and MSNBC far left. 

This is very true. I've heard people criticize NPR for being leftist propaganda.

1 hour ago, Zathoth said:

Should we not kill everything before it kills us?

Kinda unrelated, but this brings up an old memory.

When I was in debate class in high school, one of the "joke" arguments we had suggested that everything (and I mean everything) either led to nuclear war or genocide. In one tournament, my friend one-upped that, with thermonuclear genocide. The weird part was that he won that round.

7 hours ago, PantsForSquares said:

Kinda unrelated, but this brings up an old memory.

When I was in debate class in high school, one of the "joke" arguments we had suggested that everything (and I mean everything) either led to nuclear war or genocide. In one tournament, my friend one-upped that, with thermonuclear genocide. The weird part was that he won that round.

Thermonuclear Genocide is my new Thrash Metal band.

That is beautiful...

17 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

So when you say "flirting" how serious flirting are you talking about on a scale from nun to Shiny Sparkle.

I choose to interpret Trixie saying they are "Best Friends" to same way Lyra and Bon Bon were "Best friends", so. :ph34r:

...Though the episode actually is kind of terrible in that regard because part two? Trixie and Discord, same room. The results are hilarious, and I kind of want to do a fanfic where Trixie, Discord and Starlight Glimmer put on a magic show together.

This is especially unwieldy since I already have a preferred Trixie shipping and show,s top making me choose a Great and Powerful Ship.

8 hours ago, Quiver said:

I choose to interpret Trixie saying they are "Best Friends" to same way Lyra and Bon Bon were "Best friends", so. :ph34r:

Hide contents

...Though the episode actually is kind of terrible in that regard because part two? Trixie and Discord, same room. The results are hilarious, and I kind of want to do a fanfic where Trixie, Discord and Starlight Glimmer put on a magic show together.

This is especially unwieldy since I already have a preferred Trixie shipping and show,s top making me choose a Great and Powerful Ship.

Have you seen the new Equestria Girls movie yet? I think it's the best one so far.