Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

...but this is literally insane? And sleep deprived.

...so, herewith (embarrassing) thing:

I like pop culture. I like nerd culture. But my hometown doesn't really have anything catering to that stuff. I grew up reading reprinted comic books. If I want "new" stuff, it's an hour-plus of drive time.

I love the collectibles produced by funko and hot toys. I like those t-shirt that have MLP characters on them, or comic book quotes, or whatever. I like anime and manga and posters that parody them.

And, honestly, I feel kind of cheated by the fact that I was 17 before I SA my first ever DnD box set. That by the time I found stores that sold model ships, and Games Workshop mini's, and collectible toys and statues, the stores were too far away and I was "too old" to buy a build a transformer.

...so, I guess, it occurred to me that it would be kind of cool to have a hobby shop? Somewhere local that does sell that kind of stuff, and encourages dorky nerdiness.

Again: sleep deprived insanity and a pathway to fiscal ruin.

4 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Hide contents

I like pop culture. I like nerd culture. But my hometown doesn't really have anything catering to that stuff. I grew up reading reprinted comic books. If I want "new" stuff, it's an hour-plus of drive time.

I love the collectibles produced by funko and hot toys. I like those t-shirt that have MLP characters on them, or comic book quotes, or whatever. I like anime and manga and posters that parody them.

And, honestly, I feel kind of cheated by the fact that I was 17 before I SA my first ever DnD box set. That by the time I found stores that sold model ships, and Games Workshop mini's, and collectible toys and statues, the stores were too far away and I was "too old" to buy a build a transformer.

...so, I guess, it occurred to me that it would be kind of cool to have a hobby shop? Somewhere local that does sell that kind of stuff, and encourages dorky nerdiness.

That's not half as insane as some of my dreams. And really, if you wish you'd had a hobby shop when you were younger, there are probably some young upstarts wanting the same thing. So I'd say it's worth a shot after you have the tools you need. Prepare for it, but don't abandon the dream. 

40 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Hide contents

Not to feed the flames of your sleep deprived insanity, but it is not as unrealistic as you think. I've seen stores that basically only sell Warhammer and somehow still manage to go around.

The place where I buy my books sell comics, manga, anime, genre fiction books (in english), boardgames, role playing stuff and other miscellaneous nerd stuff. It doesnt make enough money to support one shop, but 3.

So it is not unrealistic at all, just very, very hard.

3 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

Not to feed the flames of your sleep deprived insanity, but it is not as unrealistic as you think. I've seen stores that basically only sell Warhammer and somehow still manage to go around.

The place where I buy my books sell comics, manga, anime, genre fiction books (in english), boardgames, role playing stuff and other miscellaneous nerd stuff. It doesnt make enough money to support one shop, but 3.

Right. Starting a business is pretty difficult, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Learn what you need to know, get some experience in retail (and retail management, if you can) take classes, and learn from both success stories and failures. With hard work and luck, your crazy dream is actually pretty reachable. 

8 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Right. Starting a business is pretty difficult, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Learn what you need to know, get some experience in retail (and retail management, if you can) take classes, and learn from both success stories and failures. With hard work and luck, your crazy dream is actually pretty reachable. 

Even ignoring the difficulty of those bits -which, I will be frank, is still really tough- I just don't know if there would be enough demand for a shop like that in my local area. 

I suppose, I fear I'm projecting and the market simply isn't there.

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Even ignoring the difficulty of those bits -which, I will be frank, is still really tough- I just don't know if there would be enough demand for a shop like that in my local area. 

I guess a lot depends on how large a city you live in.  A small town actually might not be able to support it, but even a medium-sized city may have some demand.

5 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

I guess a lot depends on how large a city you live in.  A small town actually might not be able to support it, but even a medium-sized city may have some demand.

...which, would be my problem. I live in a pretty small town.:unsure:

9 minutes ago, Quiver said:

...which, would be my problem. I live in a pretty small town.:unsure:

Which would then also be the problem with your available job opportunities.  You need to get the heck out of there, man.  Small towns are not inducive to the fulfilling living of nerd life.

3 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Which would then also be the problem with your available job opportunities.  You need to get the heck out of there, man.  Small towns are not inducive to the fulfilling living of nerd life.

Yeah...in which case, the lack of a car and driving licence doesn't help things in that regard. :P

57 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Yeah...in which case, the lack of a car and driving licence doesn't help things in that regard. :P

Indeed not.  Though if you were to move to a larger city, I imagine you could get by on public transit.  My understanding is that it's a lot better over in Europe than it is most places in the States.

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

You can support yourself with an Internet shop run together with a physical one. No idea where you live and if it would be possible to get merchandise that wouldn't be easier and cheaper to get in Amazon, but still, starting with online shop would be much easier and would require less funds I guess.

I just got my new laptop delivered. Sadly, the shop forgot to include the Windows license key... it generates a few problems. First of all, I thought I'd have it delivered yesterday and that I could've set up everything I need. But the thing is, I have to get ready for class on Friday and I absolutely need a computer to do it. I thought I could prepare Thursday morning (my Thursday is free) before I leave for gym but I'm afraid that won't happen. And I can't NOT go to the gym cause it was my idea and I stand my friend up few times already.

I'm afraid it means the night studying and that's something I'd rather avoid. Where is that rusting key?!

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I just got my new laptop delivered. Sadly, the shop forgot to include the Windows license key... it generates a few problems. First of all, I thought I'd have it delivered yesterday and that I could've set up everything I need. But the thing is, I have to get ready for class on Friday and I absolutely need a computer to do it. I thought I could prepare Thursday morning (my Thursday is free) before I leave for gym but I'm afraid that won't happen. And I can't NOT go to the gym cause it was my idea and I stand my friend up few times already.

I'm afraid it means the night studying and that's something I'd rather avoid. Where is that rusting key?!

This is why you should always have a bootable linux usb stick at hand!

I mean, assuming whatever you need to do could be done in linux, but...

20 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

So we're at 200 pages now. :mellow:

Did... did the admins just drop the 100-page limit for some reason? Or am I missing something?

Either they forgot about it, or they have some other reason. Maybe they want to see what happens at five thousand or more posts?

Just now, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Either they forgot about it, or they have some other reason. Maybe they want to see what happens at five thousand or more posts?

Well, I hope they say something soon. I was looking forward to the 10-thread milestone. :P

In other news... If and when I get a new iPod, I'm thinking of getting it engraved with "Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene I".

Also, I'm thinking of naming it Orsino. 

Yes, I'm that kind of person. :P 

35 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Well, I hope they say something soon. I was looking forward to the 10-thread milestone. :P

In other news... If and when I get a new iPod, I'm thinking of getting it engraved with "Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene I".

Also, I'm thinking of naming it Orsino. 

Yes, I'm that kind of person. :P 

Hahaha. I approve! I think you would like this post that I found on Facebook recently:

Shakespeare Thrift Shop.jpg

Also, I found the real-life Kaz.

Being Short.jpg

Edited by Sunbird

7 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

Hahaha. I approve! I think you would like this post that I found on Facebook recently:

Shakespeare Thrift Shop.jpg

While I'm not familiar with the song in question, I do find the fact that there are people who spend their time converting pop songs into iambic pentameter rather amusing. :D

I believe there is actually a book called Pop Sonnets or similar, and it's full of songs from the past half century, all in sonnet form. It's glorious. :lol: 

Edited by Slowswift

6 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

While I'm not familiar with the song in question, I do find the fact that there are people who convert pop songs into iambic pentameter hilarious. :D

I believe there is actually a book called Pop Sonnets or similar, and it's full of songs from the past half century, all in sonnet form. It's glorious. :lol: 

It's "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. Just realized that info was in the original meme. The original song has some strong language, so if you want to hear the song but not the cussing, I suggest the cover by Postmodern Jukebox.

And if you enjoyed that, check out William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher if you haven't already. (I've praised it often enough here on the Shard, that's for sure! XD)

Edited by Sunbird

4 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

It's "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. Just realized that info was in the original meme. The original song has some strong language, so if you want to hear the song but not the cussing, I suggest the cover by Postmodern Jukebox.

And if you enjoyed that, check out William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher if you haven't already. (I've praised it often enough here on the Shard, that's for sure! XD)

Hm, maybe I'll check it out. :)

Oh, that. :P I listened to a brief part of it on the way down to Cedar City for the Shakespeare Festival, and I loved it. 

3 hours ago, Sunbird said:

A little insight into my evening... (Spoilered because large memes.)

Reveal hidden contents

Pulp Fiction Hamilton Musical.jpgSuicidal Senior Midterm Meming.jpg

Oh jesus that reminds me. Good ol' Jacks Flims.

Alexander Hamilton
Alexander Hamilton
Got yourself a problem
He can Alexander handle it

Lost 150 pounds
Alexander damnation he thin
Never lost a single fight
Alexander champion
Has a love for weird guitars
Alexander mandolin
Wishin' he could go to sleep
Alexander Ambien
Lives in a department store
Alexander mannequin
Breath is smellin' kinda' whack
Alexander hand ya mints
Sees something he doesn't like?
He Alexander banning it
Loves The Office way too much
Alexander Pam and Jim

Alexander Hamilton
Alexander Hamilton
Recently became a saint
Alexander hasn't sinned

Favorite Sith Lord in the world
Alexander Anakin
Has a very lovely smile
Alexander handsome grin
Transitioned to a woman, now he
Alexander man again
Knows two songs by Eminem
Alexander Stan and Kim
Totally skipped lunch, I want an
Alexander sandwich
What you want on your footlong?
Alexander ham and swiss
Yo, he'd make a good president
Alexander candidate
Really need some liquor now
Alexander hand me gin
Doesn't get enough sunlight
Alexander tanning bed
This costume cost a jillion dollars
Alexander damnation he rich
Used to watch the old school Jack
Alexander Handypen
Elton John's his favorite artist
Alexander Candle Wind

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

So we're at 200 pages now. :mellow:

Did... did the admins just drop the 100-page limit for some reason? Or am I missing something?

Let's just keep going as far as possible until they make us stop!

4 hours ago, Sunbird said:

A little insight into my evening... (Spoilered because large memes.)

Hide contents

Pulp Fiction Hamilton Musical.jpgSuicidal Senior Midterm Meming.jpg

And yes. I have "Hamilton" sessions all the time. I can probably quote the whole musical for you without looking.

EDIT: But I'm not gonna :P

Edited by bleeder