Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

On 7 November 2016 at 9:52 PM, bleeder said:

Ouch. Wow, man. Those are terrible things to say to someone who's unhappy in their current situation. 

I tried explaining that to him, but he then asked me if anyone was really happy. And that not everyone who looks happy is happy. Which was so off topic I just stopped talking.

On 06/11/2016 at 4:17 PM, bleeder said:

Your school sounds... interesting, man. 

Tel Aviv does sound like the best fantasy city name ever.

Tel Aviv actually has a very interesting history with its name. And a really cool name in general.

Tel Aviv was one of the first cities to be founded after Jews started to emigrate back to Israel. However most cities then were either built upon the sites of ancient Jewish cities and named after them or at least had a name from the Bible. Tel Aviv was not.

"Tel" means "ruin". As in the noun. Usually a hill that contains the ruins of an ancient city. We've got a lot of those here. However, "Aviv" means "spring", the symbol of growth and rebirth. This city's name is literally saying "Out of a ruin, we have reborn", and I find that extremely inspiring.

On 06/11/2016 at 4:28 PM, Delightful said:

Hmm now lets see what other Israeli place names sound fantasy-ish...

Ashkelon
Ramat Hagolan
Petach Tikvah
Tel Hashomer ( I think that's a hospital?)
Kiryat Arba

.....yes? no? pumpkins? penguins?

I'm not sure where the word "Ashkelon" comes from.

"The Mountain of the Golan"

"The Opening of Hope"

"The Warding Ruin"

"The City of the Four"

Yeah, these totally sound like fantasy names.

Btw, Tel Hashomer is actually the name of a small city near Tel Aviv. The hospital's name is "Sheba" or something, but people call it by the name of the city for some reason.

Edited by Pinnacle-Ferring
Spelling is important

15 hours ago, bleeder said:

I propose a motion making "Kobold" an official verb. 

To Kobold - to veer off egregiously in conversation to the point at which the original conversation topic is no longer salvageable; often in a metaphoric sense; esp. unintentionally

May I add Ann addendum? *when one veers off topic into dramatic and flowery descriptions  

10 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

Remember when I posted a picture of me as Mabel Pines? Remember how my hair was about shoulder length? 

It isn't anymore. Picture for reference:

Hide contents

image.jpeg

I can't decide if I look more like a pageboy from the Middle Ages or a woman in her middle ages . . .

You know Keladry of Mindelan from Protector of the Small? You look like her. 

Im pretty sure Ashkelon is a biblical name? Ashdod definitely is, as is Yafo (Yafo would be.....City of Beauty?)

Edited by Delightful

34 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Im pretty sure Ashkelon is a biblical name? Ashdod definitely is, as is Yafo (Yafo would be.....City of Beauty?)

It is a Biblical name. I'm just not sure what it means.

Knowing how ridiculously off-topic it can get, the talmud probably has several explanations for the name. Once in the middle of a tractate about Purim, I found myself reading about the physical dimensions of the city Rome.

35 minutes ago, Pinnacle-Ferring said:

It is a Biblical name. I'm just not sure what it means.

Knowing how ridiculously off-topic it can get, the talmud probably has several explanations for the name. Once in the middle of a tractate about Purim, I found myself reading about the physical dimensions of the city Rome.

This does not surprise me. I have been assured by those that know far more than me that the Talmud has a supremely logical structure, just......not one logical to me. :P

34 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Addendum added.

Yay!

3 hours ago, bleeder said:

I have held pug puppies before. Petted them. Been forced to the ground as they swarmed over me, tails wagging, paws batting at my hair. 

They really are magical little creatures. :wub: 

I know you all miss Gravity Falls, but this looks like it could at least somewhat fill that weird hole in our hearts.

Spoiler

A mystery, an interesting, bizarre, surreal setting and just a little bit of horror for flavor. I'm sold.

And the characters are a somewhat selfish teenage girl, a bipolar robot and the king of all corgis. Whats not to love?

47 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I know you all miss Gravity Falls, but this looks like it could at least somewhat fill that weird hole in our hearts.

Hide contents

A mystery, an interesting, bizarre, surreal setting and just a little bit of horror for flavor. I'm sold.

And the characters are a somewhat selfish teenage girl, a bipolar robot and the king of all corgis. Whats not to love?

I saw that! It looks great!

Oh, what's this, Wattpad? A Gravity Falls fanfic? Called….BillDip? I don't know about this, but I may as well check out the description….

Spoiler

My version of what should happen at the end of the newest episode of Gravity Falls! CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!! Bill makes a deal with Dipper to become his bride to save Mabel and the town! But will romance blossom between them? Will their love conquer all?

Spoiler

giphy.gif

I mean, I'm all for m/m pairings, but oh sweet Kal-El, not that one. Bill must not be shipped. Bill is like Fenrir Greyback. Bill Cipher is un-shippable.

And it has 48,000 reads. 

what is wrong with this website 

Well guys, it's finally here. That magical day on which the adults of our great nation get together and decide who they want to run the country for the next few years. 

"We're All Gonna Die" T-Shirt: check

nerves of steel: check

Firefight: check

I think I'm ready.

Ok people! I need some new music. What do you have for me?

stuff I have that I like includes echo smith, one republic, the script, some Lindsey Stirling, Taylor swift, Coldplay, ed Sheehan, fallout boy, imagine dragons, little mix, RWBY soundtrack. Willing to try new stuff too but not heavy dubstep or "I left you why can't I come back to you" style pathetic love songs. 

Thanks awesome people :D 

Edited by Delightful

3 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Ok people! I need some new music. What do you have for me?

stuff I have that I like includes echo smith, one republic, the script, some Lindsey Stirling, Taylor swift, Coldplay, ed Sheehan, fallout boy, imagine dragons, little mix, RWBY soundtrack. Willing to try new stuff too but not heavy dubstep or "I left you why can't I come back to you" style pathetic love songs. 

Thanks awesome people :D 

I recommend checking out the "Cosmere character themes" thread. It has a lot of cool music.

One game soundtrack -i recommend the whole game, too- would be 'the World Ends With You'. Very cool music. Can't quite describe the style; might be more electric than you're looking for.

If you don't mind MLP fan songs, I'd highly recommend Aviators and Slyphstorm on YouTube. Both have non-pony work (Aviators did an Avengers fan song recently), but their lyrics are fantastic. Snowblind is a favorite song.

Finally... Miracle of Sound. Another great YouTube channel, lots of fandom music for movies and games. My personal favorite right now is 'Take it Back'