Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

1 minute ago, Edgedancer said:

It is pretty hard to write a sentence without knowing what it is, ture. :P  There's just a difference between making up the next couple paragraphs or even scenes/chapters up on the fly and having all the important book details down before actually writting it.

No but you see I really don't make up stuff on the fly. If I have an idea then I'll outline and explore it to its conclusion in an outline form, then write it. 

I also tend to not write sequentially. I've often written chapters by writing dialogue first, with big brackets of [insert this stuff here] and I go back to write it later. No one could ever read stuff I write until I actually piece it together logically.

Ultimately any writer should just work in such a way that they keep writing. I outline a lot so I know where I'm going, so it doesn't really matter if I want to work on a part of the scene that is after a conversation with these two characters. I skip around a lot. But if you don't that's totally okay. I'm a crazy person in my writing. (And in general, I guess.)

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

No but you see I really don't make up stuff on the fly. If I have an idea then I'll outline and explore it to its conclusion in an outline form, then write it. 

I also tend to not write sequentially. I've often written chapters by writing dialogue first, with big brackets of [insert this stuff here] and I go back to write it later. No one could ever read stuff I write until I actually piece it together logically.

Ultimately any writer should just work in such a way that they keep writing. I outline a lot so I know where I'm going, so it doesn't really matter if I want to work on a part of the scene that is after a conversation with these two characters. I skip around a lot. But if you don't that's totally okay. I'm a crazy person in my writing. (And in general, I guess.)

See, when I try to outline, there's a part of my brain that sort of rolls its eyes and says, "Well, this is a waste of time. Couldn't we be writing?" I'm not very patient when it comes to storytelling; once I get going, I want to keep going. Usually I'll have a basic idea of how it'll all turn out, but I won't know all the steps from A to B. So when I write, it's as much to find out what happens as it is to show what happens. My ideas build on each other, so more than once I've written a pivotal scene and gone, "Oh. So that's how it happens." 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

See, when I try to outline, there's a part of my brain that sort of rolls its eyes and says, "Well, this is a waste of time. Couldn't we be writing?" I'm not very patient when it comes to storytelling; once I get going, I want to keep going. Usually I'll have a basic idea of how it'll all turn out, but I won't know all the steps from A to B. So when I write, it's as much to find out what happens as it is to show what happens. My ideas build on each other, so more than once I've written a pivotal scene and gone, "Oh. So that's how it happens." 

Makes sense. I think what I do is I just think about the scene a lot prior, then my outline is me just barfing the thoughts in my brain into the order that events occur. So I do a lot of that just up front.

4 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Be thankful that you guys only have to write words. Lyrics to go with music are even harder.

I'm the weirdo who has a hard time even listening to lyrics, so yeah I can't imagine actually writing lyrics.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Makes sense. I think what I do is I just think about the scene a lot prior, then my outline is me just barfing the thoughts in my brain into the order that events occur. So I do a lot of that just up front.

I can do it either way, though the story flows better if I have at least a vague outline of what's going to happen in my head.  I completely pantsed the first draft of Swift as Steel, which is probably why it's taking me so rusting long to clean it up and fix all of its problems.

And then there are the times when I'm writing and fully intend to go one direction, and suddenly the character(s) are saying, "Haha, nope!" and run off in a different direction entirely.

3 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Be thankful that you guys only have to write words. Lyrics to go with music are even harder.

Bah, it's just poetry.  Poetry and song lyrics are exactly the same thing.

I'm terrible at poetry specifically because I have a very hard time listening to lyrics or remembering lyrics. In high school they'd just say, "But poetry is just lyrics of a song!" And I was the person who thought, "But... the lyrics are my least favorite part of a song." Just because my brain mishears them and/or can't focus on them. I know people who can hear a song for the first time and they get all the lyrics right first time. I'm the opposite xD.

Needless to say this is a reason why foreign music is easy for me to listen to. I'd garble the English lyrics anyway so it's basically the same :P 

3 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Bah, it's just poetry.  Poetry and song lyrics are exactly the same thing.

Poetry's not as easy as it seems, either. 

If music weren't so storming difficult, everyone'd be doing it.

I listen to the lyrics as a part of the song equally as important as the music or anything else. But writing my own is difficult for some reason... 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I'm terrible at poetry specifically because I have a very hard time listening to lyrics or remembering lyrics. In high school they'd just say, "But poetry is just lyrics of a song!" And I was the person who thought, "But... the lyrics are my least favorite part of a song." Just because my brain mishears them and/or can't focus on them. I know people who can hear a song for the first time and they get all the lyrics right first time. I'm the opposite xD.

Needless to say this is a reason why foreign music is easy for me to listen to. I'd garble the English lyrics anyway so it's basically the same :P 

Heh.  I'm now imagining you doing karaoke without the lyric box, just making up what sounds good.

It's nine o'clock on a Tuesday
The elephants all shuffle in
There's an old man sitting on the floor
Dodging footfalls as panic sets in

Just now, bleeder said:

Poetry's not as easy as it seems, either. 

If music weren't so storming difficult, everyone'd be doing it.

I listen to the lyrics as a part of the song equally as important as the music or anything else. But writing my own is difficult for some reason... 

Well, I don't know what the curriculum is like at your school, but you could try picking up an English class that focuses on poetry.  That might help you start working on the skills you need.

1 minute ago, Kaymyth said:

Heh.  I'm now imagining you doing karaoke without the lyric box, just making up what sounds good.

It's nine o'clock on a Tuesday
The elephants all shuffle in
There's an old man sitting on the floor
Dodging footfalls as panic sets in

That... is better than most things I've written.

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

That... is better than most things I've written.

I have terrifying skills when it comes to taking an existing song and making up new lyrics.  So strong is this power that I fear to use it often, lest I unwittingly wreak havoc upon the land.

11 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

I have terrifying skills when it comes to taking an existing song and making up new lyrics.  So strong is this power that I fear to use it often, lest I unwittingly wreak havoc upon the land.

Kay is secretly an Epic with parodying powers. 

This is beautiful, by the way:

screen-shot-2014-08-29-at-10-43-12-am.pn

Edited by bleeder

I consider myself pretty ok at lyrics.

Most recent thing I finished...

Spoiler

She lies on a grave with her ear to the ground
She tells you that through the weaving worms she can hear a sound
And she hums softly a strange melody
And you know she's singing the songs of the dead

She holds a skull pressed against your ear
And the vibrations inside resonates with your fear
Inside the hollow thing you hear a wicked little tune
And now too you know the songs of the dead

One day you'll catch her sneaking out at night
To the dance underneath the warm graveyard lights
And all the corpses will sing a profane symphony
And you cant help but to join the festival of the dead

As you listen to my song you may feel you heart going still
And skittering across your skin a strange little chill
The knowledge caresses you gently as I play the final chords
One day you'll all be singing the songs of the dead

Outlining vs Discovery writing: I have a very vague outline that may or may not change, and then I write from that outline. In most of my weird short stories (which I really need to edit...) I came up with the ending about halfway.

Yes, in a genre where the ending is basically half the story that is stupid.

2 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

I consider myself pretty ok at lyrics.

Most recent thing I finished...

Hide contents

She lies on a grave with her ear to the ground
She tells you that through the weaving worms she can hear a sound
And she hums softly a strange melody
And you know she's singing the songs of the dead

She holds a skull pressed against your ear
And the vibrations inside resonates with your fear
Inside the hollow thing you hear a wicked little tune
And now too you know the songs of the dead

One day you'll catch her sneaking out at night
To the dance underneath the warm graveyard lights
And all the corpses will sing a profane symphony
And you cant help but to join the festival of the dead

As you listen to my song you may feel you heart going still
And skittering across your skin a strange little chill
The knowledge caresses you gently as I play the final chords
One day you'll all be singing the songs of the dead

See, that's good. And I can write music to that. 

I just am not great with my own lyrics. Maybe I just need inspiration.

4 hours ago, bleeder said:

I love Sky High. That movie was my childhood. They're making another one.

*adds to ever growing list of things to watch*

39 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Eh. Lyrics aren't that hard for me. It's coming up with a melody that's hard. 
But then, I've only written full 1 song. I've also done an incomplete verse+chorus combo and the beginnings of another, which is really just 2 lines.
I came to a realization the other day that there aren't many tunes that haven't already been sung. There aren't many stories that haven't already been told. It was kinda depressing, actually.

Just now, The Honor Spren said:

*adds to ever growing list of things to watch*

Eh. Lyrics aren't that hard for me. It's coming up with a melody that's hard. 
But then, I've only written full 1 song. I've also done an incomplete verse+chorus combo and the beginnings of another, which is really just 2 lines.
I came to a realization the other day that there aren't many tunes that haven't already been sung. There aren't many stories that haven't already been told. It was kinda depressing, actually.

I had the same realization, but with chord progressions.

26 minutes ago, bleeder said:

See, that's good. And I can write music to that. 

It has music already XD

19 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Spoiler

Im sure that will make you feel better.

19 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I was interested in microtonality for a while, I think that could be cool.

29 minutes ago, bleeder said:

See, what you need to add for some originality is low brass parts! Just put in a few lines for baritone or tuba and voila! The perfect song.

Can you tell what brass section I play in? :P

6 minutes ago, Mistrunner said:

See, what you need to add for some originality is low brass parts! Just put in a few lines for baritone or tuba and voila! The perfect song.

Can you tell what brass section I play in? :P

Needs...more....tuba. Great! Thanks! I'll send this off to AC/DC in the morning. :P

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

That is EXACTLY how I write. Down to the last detail.

...so who else here believes in the existence of clones?

44 minutes ago, WayneSpren said:

That is EXACTLY how I write. Down to the last detail.

...so who else here believes in the existence of clones?

Oh, you're one of those people advocating for the erasure of the Sandstorm from Night Valean History Books. 

Not that anyone reads those. Who reads books? Not me. Too dangerous for my tastes.

Oh, I finally wrote a song. And it's kinda decent. 

Edited by bleeder

1 hour ago, Cognizantastic said:

3 girls were pointing at me and talking in homeroom. I took out my headphones and raised an eyebrow. They said, "We're trying to see the color of your aura. I think it's yellow."

The eyebrow lowered and I returned to my work. Girls aren't interested in me... until they want to read auras. :P 

What the hell.