Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Okay, I have a random question for any Sharders who live in Australia or have attended school in Australia: what does the calendar of a school year look like for you?

What I mean to ask is, in the US the school year usually starts at the beginning of September or in late August, lasts about nine-ish months, and ends in late May or early June, leaving students with the hottest months of the year--June, July, and August--for summer vacation. Does Australia do a similar thing--nine months of school and three months of vacation? If so, do you also get the hottest months of the year off of school? (December, January, and February, I imagine, because Southern Hemisphere.) Or does school in Australia go pretty much year-round, with shorter but more frequent breaks, as some countries do? (I believe Japan is one.)

I just realized (cause I'm learning for exams and stuff) that I can list Surges in order without even learning it way easier than to remember stuff I'm learning right now :mellow:

If suddenly waken up and asked, I'd probably also could recite the metal categorization without even recalling what does that metal do.

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

Okay, I have a random question for any Sharders who live in Australia or have attended school in Australia: what does the calendar of a school year look like for you?

What I mean to ask is, in the US the school year usually starts at the beginning of September or in late August, lasts about nine-ish months, and ends in late May or early June, leaving students with the hottest months of the year--June, July, and August--for summer vacation. Does Australia do a similar thing--nine months of school and three months of vacation? If so, do you also get the hottest months of the year off of school? (December, January, and February, I imagine, because Southern Hemisphere.) Or does school in Australia go pretty much year-round, with shorter but more frequent breaks, as some countries do? (I believe Japan is one.)

Summer holidays are roughly nob/dec-mid January, the rest of the year is split into four school terms with about a two week holiday between each term. 

36 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I just realized (cause I'm learning for exams and stuff) that I can list Surges in order without even learning it way easier than to remember stuff I'm learning right now :mellow:

If suddenly waken up and asked, I'd probably also could recite the metal categorization without even recalling what does that metal do.

Heheh. I'm still attempting to memorize which metal has which Allomantic property from the poster on my wall. I tend to get copper, brass, bronze, and zinc mixed up--how they're paired, mostly. Still almost entirely clueless on which Feruchemical metal does what; I have to look it up usually. Except for copper, because of the Coppermind Wiki.

15 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Summer holidays are roughly nob/dec-mid January, the rest of the year is split into four school terms with about a two week holiday between each term. 

Ah, okay. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. :)

MY NAME IS ETHAN BRADBURY

*cough* *cough* *sneezy voice* sorry guys, can't help it. I have I'M ETHAN BRADBURYitis. Can't help it at all.

My friend caught the disease after watching ETHAN BRADBURY, and spread it around the whole school, you can't go two metres now without someone yelling out I'M ETHAN BRADBURY whilst pointing at their next target.

*cough* *cough*

Why does kindle world's have such a small selection of stuff?

Let's campaign to get more put up there So I don't feel bad doing fanfiction when I "should" be doing "real" writing

:ph34r:

Edited by Quiver

25 minutes ago, WayneSpren said:

I was wondering if there was a Lost thread somewhere on the forums? If someone could point me there it would be greatly appreciated.

If there is I can't find it. Might be... misplaced or something.

33 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

For any and all who might be interested, I have found a ponified version of Dalinar's army just before marching out to meet the Parshendi.

Hide contents

celestia_s_army_by_viwrastupr-d8gxysf.jp

There...there are no words for this level of amazingness.

I just found this awesome resource for sci-fi authors. It has so much info. on what things in sci-fi would be like, meant as a tool for sci-fi authors. Just to give you an understanding of how in depth it is, here's just one page dedicated to mining. Now imagine several dozen pages like that (and counting). Subheadings include: ice mining, asteroid mining, lunar mining, martian mining, harvesting gas giants, and element bottlenecks (basically all about how people living on another planet could make up excess minerals not found on planet.)

I think I've found the second most addictive site on the internet. It might even become the first, though TV Tropes is strong competition.

EDIT: If you go to the bottom, and click the arrow to the next page, then you'll come to a page talking about NASA's attempt to build an inflatable space station. I find this absolutely hilarious.

Edited by The Young Bard

12 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

For any and all who might be interested, I have found a ponified version of Dalinar's army just before marching out to meet the Parshendi.

Hide contents

celestia_s_army_by_viwrastupr-d8gxysf.jp

I. I didn't know this was a thing.

I am so happy that this is a thing.

All the bridgerunners are dragons, right? I mena, no one seems to bat an eye at Spike as Twilights slave. Preumsbaly this is where all those other dragon hatchlings and Celestia are up to while Twilight and company are singing friendship songs.

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I. I didn't know this was a thing.

I am so happy that this is a thing.

All the bridgerunners are dragons, right? I mena, no one seems to bat an eye at Spike as Twilights slave. Preumsbaly this is where all those other dragon hatchlings and Celestia are up to while Twilight and company are singing friendship songs.

Does this mean cutie marks are this world's equivalent of bonded spren? Making it a world where no spren can disguise itself, or all spren choose not to, or else one where Cryptics are ridiculously common, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because if Rainbow Dash has bonded a spren, you know it's going to be an honorspren. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Does this mean cutie marks are this world's equivalent of bonded spren? Making it a world where no spren can disguise itself, or all spren choose not to, or else one where Cryptics are ridiculously common, which doesn't make a lot of sense, because if Rainbow Dash has bonded a spren, you know it's going to be an honorspren. 

Actually, what if we're looking at this dynamic all wrong, and ponies are Equestria's version of the Parhsendi? They appear to be native to their native, and getting your cutie mark could be the equivalent of the Parshendi adopting new forms via spren; it's just that in the case of ponies, cutieform is the only thing they can hack into, and once you do, you can't back out of it.

Unless you're Starlight Glimmer, but that's besides the point