Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

29 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Well, I am (actually, I exaggerated slightly. Most likely, the Liberal party - the equivalent of the Republicans in America - are probably going to get it, it's just a question of whether they do it in majority or minority government). Sadly, there's one of the highest levels of political disengagement... ever in Australia, which is sad. I honestly don't know why, but it seems to be part of a global trend.

Because they're all a bunch of stuffy idiots who talk garbage? Literally the most exciting thing about the politicians is that one of them threatened to kill Johnny Depp's dogs. 

@Kaymyth if this answers your confusion, our party names are weird. Liberal is right wing, Labor is left. Those are the two main parties. 

Also...I'm not waiting in suspense because it's pretty obvious we're stuck with a hung parliament again (neither side has a clear majority) so......it's a mess. As usual. 

Edited by Delightful

1 minute ago, Delightful said:

Because they're all a bunch of stuffy idiots who talk garbage? Literally the most exciting thing about the politicians is that one of them threatened to kill Johnny Depp's dogs. 

@Kaymyth if this answers your confusion, our party names are weird. Liberal is right wing, Labor is left. Those are the two main parties. 

But...but that's...that's the opposite of what "Liberal" means...

It's Australian politics. It doesn't have to make sense. <_<

IT DOES HAVE TO MAKE SENSE.  SO DECREES KAYMYTH.

I console myself with the thought that Australia's right wing is still probably further left than the US's left wing these days...

16 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

If you're interested, Republicanism is considered a left wing principle in Australia (and most of the rest of the world) too. *shrug* Names are weird.

Case in point, I've heard that 'gift' in German means poison.

1 minute ago, The Young Bard said:

If you're interested, Republicanism is considered a left wing principle in Australia (and most of the rest of the world) too. *shrug* Names are weird.

That's...true.  And about 100 years ago, our two main parties actually traded sides of the aisle in a strange little political pirouette.  Things change and evolve all the time.

But some things drive my pedantic little brain crazy.

57 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Can confirm: 100% true. False cognates are fun.

Other misleading German words for English speakers:

das Boot - looks like a clothing item for your foot, right? Nope. It's pronounced approximately like the English word "boat," and that's what it means.

schenken - a verb which looks suspiciously like "shank". It really means "to give (someone) a present."

das Ei - pronounced like the English word "eye," but it means "egg."

On the other hand, there are far more German words that are pretty similar to their English counterparts. Das Bier (beer), die Banane (banana), der Ozean (ocean), der Hut (hat), die Katze (cat), das Wasser (water), waschen (to wash)... The list goes on.

2 hours ago, Delightful said:

I somehow missed this before. But the thing is, it wasn't somehow less boring before. In fact it was a lot more so. If you go back less than 50 years, this is what a TV Advertisement for the Liberal Party looked like.

Compare that to an anti-hung parliament advertisement from this election.

And yet, the election is attracting less interest then it was.

Edited by The Young Bard
Spoiler tags... >:(

6 hours ago, Edgedancer said:

That's a rather extreme change of reaction. Do I even want to know what caused it?:mellow:

Double spoilers, y'all. 

It could be caused by the fact that the plot involves Scorpius and Albus Severus traveling back in time to try and fix what they see wrong in the present, which leads to....

-Harry's death causing Voldemort to win the war 

-Cedric Diggory surviving Voldemort's rebirthing party and becoming an actual Death Eater

-Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child (okay, I've seen this referenced on every spoiler summary I've read, so the chances it's true are high, but I still don't want to believe it) 

2 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Double spoilers, y'all. 

Hide contents

Hide contents

It could be caused by the fact that the plot involves Scorpius and Albus Severus traveling back in time to try and fix what they see wrong in the present, which leads to....

-Harry's death causing Voldemort to win the war 

-Cedric Diggory surviving Voldemort's rebirthing party and becoming an actual Death Eater

-Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child (okay, I've seen this referenced on every spoiler summary I've read, so the chances it's true are high, but I still don't want to believe it) 

Spoiler

My reaction to the time travel and Harry's death was more meh than anything but the other two?
Wait what?:blink:

9 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

My reaction to the time travel and Harry's death was more meh than anything but the other two?

Exactly. Fanfiction.net has at least a thousand stories where Harry dies, someone goes back in time to fix things, or both, so I didn't bat an eye at those. But Cedric? And I thought poor Draco had his character assassinated in this play. 

The last one is apparently where the play's title comes from, which is just....why. Why, Rowling? Of all the fanfic writers you could vindicate, why would you choose the Rule 34ers? <_< 

15 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hide contents

Exactly. Fanfiction.net has at least a thousand stories where Harry dies, someone goes back in time to fix things, or both, so I didn't bat an eye at those. But Cedric? And I thought poor Draco had his character assassinated in this play. 

The last one is apparently where the play's title comes from, which is just....why. Why, Rowling? Of all the fanfic writers you could vindicate, why would you choose the Rule 34ers? <_< 

Spoiler

Cedric being portrayed as a bad guy also comes from fanfiction, also known as badfiction. It actually crosses over into either trolling or utterly oblivious creator to take something associated with bad fancition of your work and to pull it straight.

Edited by Edgedancer

2 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

Cedric being portrayed as a bad guy also comes from fanfiction, also known as badfiction. It actually crosses over into either trolling or utterly oblivious creator to take something associated with bad fancition of your work and to pull it straight.

Yeah, there's a trope for it--Ron the Death Eater. Though given how just all around nice Cedric was in canon, I think Cedric the Death Eater is even worse, in terms of sheer implausibility. 

I....really don't understand why those elements made it into the final published version of the play. I like to think Rowling is trying to torch the franchise and run, but from what I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere, she really cares about this play being good and wants fans to enjoy it. So maybe she's just oblivious. -_- 

7 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Pretty sure liberalism is considered right wing almost everywhere outside of the US :P

12 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hide contents

Yeah, there's a trope for it--Ron the Death Eater. Though given how just all around nice Cedric was in canon, I think Cedric the Death Eater is even worse, in terms of sheer implausibility. 

I....really don't understand why those elements made it into the final published version of the play. I like to think Rowling is trying to torch the franchise and run, but from what I've seen on Twitter and elsewhere, she really cares about this play being good and wants fans to enjoy it. So maybe she's just oblivious. -_- 

She has read too much fanfiction, of her own stuff, never read fanfiction of your own stuff. Especially not when you are JK Rowling.

1 minute ago, Morzathoth said:

She has read too much fanfiction, of her own stuff, never read fanfiction of your own stuff. Especially not when you are JK Rowling.

Heck, I'm a lowly fanfic writer and I don't read very much fanfic--and when I do, it's different from what I'm trying to write. Working on a sensitive postwar story? I'll read crackfics. Too much fanfic of the type you're trying to write will create a positive feedback loop and a really weird story. 

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles @Edgedancer 

WHAT.

Okay, let's back track to the Goblet of Fire movie. I have mixed reactions to the Harry Potter films in general -HATE Half Blood Prince- but the climax of Goblet really bothered me, since it turned Harry and Cedrics mutual "Let's work together," into "SCREW YOU, IT'S MINE."

I wrote that off as filmmakers making things more dramatic, but now...?

I mean... I can think of how to justify it? Cedrics is a Sincere and Good kid...so him becoming a Death Eater might be him expressing those qualities in a world which has gone wrong, but...

But, no. This change bothers me. Even if it is just an AU, it sort of ruins the ending of Goblet.

"Remember Cedric Diggory, who apparently was a Death Eater one reality over."

57 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:
  Hide contents

I always thought Bellatrix had a kind of thing for Voldemort, ignoring that she's married.

Shallan and Hermione, they would totally be BFF's. 

(Excuse the weird shadows)

image.jpeg

Edited by Delightful

7 minutes ago, Quiver said:

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles @Edgedancer 

Hide contents

WHAT.

Okay, let's back track to the Goblet of Fire movie. I have mixed reactions to the Harry Potter films in general -HATE Half Blood Prince- but the climax of Goblet really bothered me, since it turned Harry and Cedrics mutual "Let's work together," into "SCREW YOU, IT'S MINE."

I wrote that off as filmmakers making things more dramatic, but now...?

I mean... I can think of how to justify it? Cedrics is a Sincere and Good kid...so him becoming a Death Eater might be him expressing those qualities in a world which has gone wrong, but...

But, no. This change bothers me. Even if it is just an AU, it sort of ruins the ending of Goblet.

"Remember Cedric Diggory, who apparently was a Death Eater one reality over."

My thoughts exactly. If you're going to make a radical change to someone's character, for the love of the Holy Noodles, make it plausible. Make us reread the books and think "I never saw it before, but that makes sense. Horrible, horrible sense." This twist feels like something from a bad fanfic. And dare I say it, stories where Hermione or Ginny travel back in time to seduce/kill Tom Riddle are better than this (though a few of those were very good).

6 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Hide contents

I always thought Bellatrix had a kind of thing for Voldemort, ignoring that she's married.

Shallan and Hermione, they would totally be BFF's. 

image.jpeg

She did, but a child? That seems more out of character than her taking Neville Longbottom out for ice cream and sincerely apologizing for what she did to his parents.

Definitely. Though I think Shallan would've been a Slytherin. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles
Seriously, autocorrect? Read some books

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Reveal hidden contents

My thoughts exactly. If you're going to make a radical change to someone's character, for the love of the Holy Noodles, make it plausible. Make us reread the books and think "I never saw it before, but that makes sense. Horrible, horrible sense." This twist feels like something from a bad fanfic. And dare I say it, stories where Hermione or Ginny travel back in time to seduce/kill Tom Riddle are better than this (though a few of those were very good).

Hide contents

She did, but a child? That seems more out of character than her taking Neville along ottos out for ice cream and sincerely apologizing for what she did to his parents.

Definitely. Though I think Shallan would've been a Slytherin. 

I assumed she'd be Ravenclaw, going by how desperately she seeks knowledge. But you're saying Slytherin because of family loyalties?

i did another drawing of them defending a pile of books, didn't turn out so well but anyone interesting in seeing it? (Looking to show off a bit + validation because it's finally basically good enough to show people. But wouldn't want to impose :P )

Edited by Delightful

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

She did, but a child? That seems more out of character than her taking Neville along ottos out for ice cream and sincerely apologizing for what she did to his parents.

I mean...like I said, I can maybe explain it as "Hufflepuffs reflect social values", or something, but...

But that choice bothers me. Maybe changing, like, Ernie would have been more controversial, since he had a larger role in the books, but still.

I can see the tragedy, that The Best Student (Cedric) becomes a Death Eater...but emotionally, it muddies the impact of his death for me.

I assumed she'd be Ravenclaw, going by how desperately she seeks knowledge. But you're saying Slytherin because of family loyalties?

Yes, plus beneath all of her innocence and anxiety, she's very ambitious. She channels that ambition in a distinctly Ravenclaw direction, but it's quite strong. She has a strong Ravenclaw bent, but I think her primary is Slytherin. 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Yes, plus beneath all of her innocence and anxiety, she's very ambitious. She channels that ambition in a distinctly Ravenclaw direction, but it's quite strong. She has a strong Ravenclaw bent, but I think her primary is Slytherin. 

Which makes her a Slytherclaw like you, right?

i need to get around to reading the  tumblr at some point. 

3 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Hide contents

I mean...like I said, I can maybe explain it as "Hufflepuffs reflect social values", or something, but...

But that choice bothers me. Maybe changing, like, Ernie would have been more controversial, since he had a larger role in the books, but still.

I can see the tragedy, that The Best Student (Cedric) becomes a Death Eater...but emotionally, it muddies the impact of his death for me.

That just doesn't make any sense. It feels like *lets make something super unexpected happen just to trick you all*.