Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles Personally, I don't think you should go the 'legacy hero' route... but that's for my own personal hangups. A lot of superhero fiction "starts" in the 1940's, and having a legacy hero step in already seem's like really rapid turnover in my opinion.

...But yeah, that's my only objection, from a comic booker standpoint. 
:ph34r: Addressing the fact that there was a different minister, whether that's in a foreword, appendix, or some kind of in-character reference might be the best way to go? Point out to people reading that "This is a work o fiction, but there is a lot of really real, and important, history in this area, which you can find by checking out X, Y and Z" or something...

@Quiver, since you already mentioned it... What would be the motivation for characters to even adopt a identity of a former hero, thus becoming a "legacy hero"? I'm struggling with that bit in my own worldbuilding.

I understand that sometimes there is a very good reason (like passing down the artifact/gadget/equipment/whatever to another person upon retiring), but if that's not the case... I mean, for example: why would Grayson adopt the identity of Batman if Bruce died instead of continuing to go under the identity of Nightwing?

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

@Oversleep better brand recognition, more facebook fans, more prefits from merchandise :D those arguments would totally make sense for Marvel's Iron Man at least :P

Well, that and the fact that you get a nice armor to fly around :D

The design of the armor would be instantly recognized, so it shouldn't be a problem to repaint it in different colors. But I don't recall such changes (well, I'm not terribly sure about Iron Man legacy characters - did Tony ever pass the mantle to somebody else? I mean for more than a short time).

1 minute ago, Oversleep said:

@Quiver, since you already mentioned it... What would be the motivation for characters to even adopt a identity of a former hero, thus becoming a "legacy hero"? I'm struggling with that bit in my own worldbuilding.

I understand that sometimes there is a very good reason (like passing down the artifact/gadget/equipment/whatever to another person upon retiring), but if that's not the case... I mean, for example: why would Grayson adopt the identity of Batman if Bruce died instead of continuing to go under the identity of Nightwing?

I'd say it requires the character to actually respect the legacy they are following. With Batman for example, not only have the Robbins been trained for the role but the costume of Batman also has value in and of itself through the very image cultivated by Bruce and someone like Dick sees the value in preserving it.

@Oversleep During the 70's or 80's, Tony handed the Iron Man mantle to a then-new character by the names of Rhodey. When Tony took it back, Rhodes became War Machine instead.

Funnily enough, Marvel's relaunch is going to feature two new Iron Characters taking up Tony's legacy. A new character, named Riri, is headlining one book...which Victor Von Doom has the other.

As for other characters, Mestiv made the branding argument. :lol: Besides that, it tends to be a case of characters wanting to honour their predecessor and their legacy, and the character has (implicitly) been groomed to one day take the mantle. For instance, Wally West was Kid Flash, so it made sense for him to graduate up to the Flash.

Dick is actually a really interesting case, in that (in-universe) no one really wanted him to be Batman, least of all Bruce. Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin run -which is excellent, and highly recommended- touches upon that. Bruce himself doesn't want anyone to be Batman; his video will even flat out told Dick that Nightwing was better than he was.

In fact, it's notable that every Robin has gone on to forge their own hero identity. True, it's partly because DC isn't going to step on Bruce's toes...but in universe, Robin is best viewed as an apprenticeship. Dick, Jason, Tim and Stephenie have all gone on to their own codenames after their stints.

So why be Batman? Because someone has to. Batman is a legend in Gotham. When Dick thought Bruce was dead, he hesitated about taking the name, but ultimately decided that the city needed a Batman. There's an...image, a mystique, a legend based around the Batman which Nightwing, simply, doesn't have.

And when Bruce came back, he acknowledged that, which is what led to the whole Batman International thing.

I do find Dick a really interesting character, and there is a line in the recent Nightwing Rebirth which addresses it, where he says that he's had a lot of roles -Robin, Nightwing, Batman, Agent 37- but he has always been Grayson.

So...Yeah. Dick see's a value in the concept of Batman, which is part of why he adopted the mantle.

(And he was the best Batman.)

Day 3 of my MCR binge:

I have a small radio that I leave playing more or less constantly so Bruce won't be left in silence while I'm gone, and it seems to calm him. Lately, I've been lazy and have just left a country station on. So as I was shelving earlier, I had both "The Sharpest Lives" and "Noise" by Kenney Chesney stuck in my head at the same time. 

They....go together about as well as you'd expect. :mellow:

3 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Day 3 of my MCR binge:

I have a small radio that I leave playing more or less constantly so Bruce won't be left in silence while I'm gone, and it seems to calm him. Lately, I've been lazy and have just left a country station on. So as I was shelving earlier, I had both "The Sharpest Lives" and "Noise" by Kenney Chesney stuck in my head at the same time. 

They....go together about as well as you'd expect. :mellow:

I sort of read this in the same voice as a 19th century anthropologist.:ph34r:

Day 6

We have encountered a strange musical phenomenon. The locals refer to it as "Rock and Roll", and can regularly be witnessed throwing back their hair, "rocking out" to it's "sick beat" and engaging in licentious and scandalous behaviour.

Further investigation is required.

7 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I sort of read this in the same voice as a 19th century anthropologist.:ph34r:

Now I'm reading my own thoughts in that voice. :mellow: Though I have a feeling that Day 6 will be less "19th century anthropologist" and more "Twi is unable to speak in anything but puns on MCR song titles." 

7 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Now I'm reading my own thoughts in that voice. :mellow: Though I have a feeling that Day 6 will be less "19th century anthropologist" and more "Twi is unable to speak in anything but puns on MCR song titles." 

I believe that this would be the point when everyone starts tutting, shaking their heads and whispering about how Twi has "gone native".

You know what? Nothing made me question so much stuff as trying to sum up the things we know about cosmere (I'm currently writing an article about Realmatics and Investiture). It's like that:

I write one sentence. Then I start to wonder whether it's true or it's a factoid or generally approved theory. I check the internet. I find little. I start to question. I dig more. I ask on the forum. I watch the discussion and if I'm lucky I have an answer.

If it gets worse I'm gonna start questioning whether there are really only three Realms or whether Hoid actually exists (cause maybe we haven't seen him and what we have seen is actually programmed Lightweaving projection, sent by the real Hoid?). Anyway, a great way to find so much questions to ask Brandon which I have zero options to do :D

Hm... programmed Lightweaving projection... that could be a thing.

EDIT: Hm, my post comes off as complaining. Not my intention. It's just that I find so many things I thought of as "surely true" and now my convictions are not so sure.

Edited by Oversleep

So...there was a novel I remember hearing the concept for that I thought sounded interesting...but I can't remember the title. Can anyone help me out?

As I understand it, the idea was that the protagonist wakes up one day, and discovers that he's an alien (I think). The premise was that he was...

Undergoing, like, a quirk of his species, where he became a different person. In every way; his personality would change, his gender would change, everything. Who he used to be was gone, and he was going to spend the next four years swapping between being a different person each year...and at the end of it, he'd have to choose which person he wanted to spend the rest of his life as.

Itsounded like an interesting idea...but I cannot remember the title, or the author. Anyone heard of this series?

32 minutes ago, Quiver said:

So...there was a novel I remember hearing the concept for that I thought sounded interesting...but I can't remember the title. Can anyone help me out?

As I understand it, the idea was that the protagonist wakes up one day, and discovers that he's an alien (I think). The premise was that he was...

Undergoing, like, a quirk of his species, where he became a different person. In every way; his personality would change, his gender would change, everything. Who he used to be was gone, and he was going to spend the next four years swapping between being a different person each year...and at the end of it, he'd have to choose which person he wanted to spend the rest of his life as.

Itsounded like an interesting idea...but I cannot remember the title, or the author. Anyone heard of this series?

That premise sounds somewhat familiar... I think I might have heard it mentioned at Salt Lake Comic Con possibly.

So I Googled "being a different person every day" and got a lot of results from mental health forums, but I also found a TV miniseries called The Beauty Inside.

With a little more digging, I found Every Day by David Levithan, which seems to match the description you gave, Quiver.