The 17S 4 Discussion Thread

Chaos

So...maybe I just don't understand the site well enough, but I've got an issue with mobile. 

I use the unread topic/post list function a Lot. I almost never browse the forums without it. 

When im on the list and click on a topic, it always sends me to the first post, not the most recent that I haven't read. Which is pretty annoying. 

Now I found an option to change the stream so that when I select a topic it takes me to the first unread post, and that makes it better. But I can't make the site do that Every time, I have to change the setting every time I come onto the Shard. 

36 minutes ago, ScottLeft said:

So...maybe I just don't understand the site well enough, but I've got an issue with mobile. 

I use the unread topic/post list function a Lot. I almost never browse the forums without it. 

When im on the list and click on a topic, it always sends me to the first post, not the most recent that I haven't read. Which is pretty annoying. 

Now I found an option to change the stream so that when I select a topic it takes me to the first unread post, and that makes it better. But I can't make the site do that Every time, I have to change the setting every time I come onto the Shard. 

You have to click on the circle/start icon to the left of the topic title. That takes you to the first unread.

45 minutes ago, ScottLeft said:

If you want this setting to be remembered for the stream you use, then after applying the change you have to "Save As New Stream". Give this stream appropriate name and save. Now, you should be redirected to this new stream's page. Right next to it's name there are three small icons: a pen, a trashcan and a check sign. Click this check sign to make this stream your default stream. Now, when you click the newspaper icon on the top of the page you should be taken to this new stream that behaves as you'd expect :) Hope that helps :) 

3 hours ago, Argent said:

You have to click on the circle/start icon to the left of the topic title. That takes you to the first unread.

That works so long as you haven't read the thread yet.  But if you've caught up and want to go back for some reason, say to post or quote someone, that icon disappears and you have to click into the first page of the thread before you can navigate to the end.  Not having the page numbers on the screen makes it a bit less efficient than it used to be.

On desktop, there is a timestamp (e.g. "June 14", or "7 hr") all the way to the right, which I can click and go to the last post. I see it is also available on mobile, right under the last commenter's avatar. 

Hovering over it, for me it says "Storing 324 messages (max. -1)". I'm hypothesizing that Oudeis has 135 PMs in his inbox, and Kaymeth has 50 PM in hers, and that everyone has a inbox capacity of -1.

13 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

Hovering over it, for me it says "Storing 324 messages (max. -1)". I'm hypothesizing that Oudeis has 135 PMs in his inbox, and Kaymeth has 50 PM in hers, and that everyone has a inbox capacity of -1.

I think you nailed it.

19 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

Upvoted for "Kaymeth." :P

In other news, I have been having issues with the Quote function on my mobile. For some reason, whenever I quote someone and then try to add my input to the post, I can't type anything in the Reply box. Like, my keyboard will come up, but when I hit the letters, nothing appears in the Reply box.

Also, whenever I try to reply to this thread from my mobile, it automatically quotes this post by Slowswift without my telling it to. And because of the first problem I mentioned, that keeps me from replying to that thread via mobile at all.

In case it matters, my smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy S3, and whenever I attempt to post here with it, I am using a Wi-Fi connection.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but you no longer seem to be able to see the breakdown of how many posts everyone made in a given thread by hovering over the "(x) replies" section in the subforum. Is there a reason for this, or is it accidental? Thanks.

On June 17, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Chaos said:

The activity stream menu is a thing I am actively building, ccstat. Stand by. I will have a post explaining these once that is done.

Stand by. Stop hacking plz <3 

I'm working on this but those icons appear in more places than topic lists so I'm figuring out how to do this properly. Nontrivial changes. 

By the way, I stopped messing with it, but then much later it finally kicked in (I think because I finally restarted, don't have to do that often): it looks bad because I'm not doing it the right way, but it does help, so whenever you can figure out the right way for it to work, it'll be much appreciated.  Don't stress yourself about it too much, though, it's a relatively minor concern. :-)

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 11.20.02 AM.PNG

jW

Just BTW, the newest news article thingy (Social stuff for June) didn't show up well on my mobile device just now. Using chrome on an iPhone. The content of the article spilled out into normal desktop ratio. The header was a little funky, too, but most of everything else was normal. image.png

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

By the way, I stopped messing with it, but then much later it finally kicked in (I think because I finally restarted, don't have to do that often): it looks bad because I'm not doing it the right way, but it does help, so whenever you can figure out the right way for it to work, it'll be much appreciated.  Don't stress yourself about it too much, though, it's a relatively minor concern. :-)

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 11.20.02 AM.PNG

jW

These icons appear in other places. It's nontrivial. Maybe will happen, maybe won't. 

2 hours ago, Brightness Enna said:

Just BTW, the newest news article thingy (Social stuff for June) didn't show up well on my mobile device just now. Using chrome on an iPhone. The content of the article spilled out into normal desktop ratio. The header was a little funky, too, but most of everything else was normal. image.png

Yeah I see what happened. Am investigating, and making rules to people posting on the main page to not do whatever they did to screw things up so dramatically.

46 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

OK, I see top contributors, which is really cool. However, I can't seem to find where the top 50 list went… Does anyone know?

Doesn't exist anymore, sorry.

Reposting to the proper topic this time!

The following issue occurs when I use the forum on my phone: if I have a quote box object in my reply and decide I don't need it, I can not get rid of the quote box. I can change the text/delete the text within the quote, but the box remains. 

If I go to another thread without submitting and come back to it later, the quote box willl still be there. Essentially, to clear the "add reply" area of the quote box, I need to submit it.

I use Google Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S5

Edited by Orlion Determined

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Eki said:

Not sure if intended or not, and fairly irrelevant really, but posts in the Q&A section don't seem to increase your total post count.

I have fixed this mistake.

So, i figured out how to remove quote boxes and spoilers from posts. you have to double click the box above the text, until there's a thin blue border around the entire box, then you hit backspace. It works for me when quoting people, or when I manually put in the quote box.

I've been having a problem with quoting on mobile. Whenever I quote a post, i lose the ability to fix mistakes. It won't let me backspace or otherwise remove words that I have written outside of the quote box, and instead it often tries to force me to type in the URL box. This only happens on Mobile.

Going to be honest, there isn't a great deal I can actually do to fix issues with the editor. It's pretty complex, and I don't like spending the effort reverse engineering the software as that will make software updates difficult. Sorry.

Understandable. One final question on the editor, at least from me: is there an option (without demanding much effort from you, or possibly already enabled), to use a simple text input instead of the rich text editor. I can use another app to write long posts, but that's not practical all the time, and it'd be nice to have an option to avoid some of the quirks.

jW

That doesn't really exist. But if you're typing in the box and don't use any formatting then it should work fine. I would say for extremely long posts, as always, you should type in another editor anyway.