The 17S 4 Discussion Thread

Chaos

1 minute ago, Ecthelion III said:

SLEEP MY FRIEND! YOUR BRONZE DOESN'T LAST FOREVER

I WILL NEVER SLEEP, FOR I AM THE GOD OF CHROME TABS. I NEED NO SILLY THINGS LIKE SLEEP.

No really, see? They each have a ton of tabs.

the god of tabs.png

@Chaos Is there a way to change the info in the "Contact Information" section of profiles? Because I'm game for filling more of those out, but I seriously doubt that anyone uses AIM, MSN, ICQ, or Jabber anymore. And there are more email services than just Yahoo.

Edited by Slowswift

3 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

@Chaos Is there a way to change the info in the "Contact Information" section of profiles? Because I'm game for filling more of those out, but I seriously doubt that anyone uses AIM, MSN, ICQ, or Jabber anymore. And there are more email services than just Yahoo.

Yeah, I can update those. (Though the email field is actually a separate field from those, for some reason.)

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, I can update those. (Though the email field is actually a separate field from those, for some reason.)

Thanks!

Also, the member titles are now called "ranks" (at least when I've visited other user's profiles)? That seems really confusing, like I though of "rank" as a reputation thing.

Edited by Slowswift

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I WILL NEVER SLEEP, FOR I AM THE GOD OF CHROME TABS. I NEED NO SILLY THINGS LIKE SLEEP.

No really, see? They each have a ton of tabs.

the god of tabs.png

I have seven tabs open in one window right now, and it's already stressing me out. Your screenshot is going to give me a nervous breakdown. xD

Just now, Slowswift said:

Thanks!

Also, the member titles are now called "ranks"? That seems really confusing, like I though of "rank" as a reputation thing.

When you edit your profile they are called Member Titles, where are they displayed as Ranks? 

Ranks actually are a thing I removed--the little pips that depended on how many posts you had. I decided they were superfluous.

1 minute ago, Windrunner said:

I have seven tabs open in one window right now, and it's already stressing me out. Your screenshot is going to give me a nervous breakdown. xD

You lack divine strength. WORSHIP THE MASTER OF CHROME.

Just now, Chaos said:

When you edit your profile they are called Member Titles, where are they displayed as Ranks? 

Ranks actually are a thing I removed--the little pips that depended on how many posts you had. I decided they were superfluous.

You lack divine strength. WORSHIP THE MASTER OF CHROME.

I edited my last post; basically, only when I'm viewing another member's profile.

1 minute ago, Slowswift said:

I edited my last post; basically, only when I'm viewing another member's profile.

OH, I see now. I feel stupid. (And tired.) I'll change that string so it is consistently saying Title.

1 minute ago, Ecthelion III said:

Chaos, I see you still here on this forum. GO TO SLEEP! THIS IS AN ORDER!

Or I will report your posts!

to --uh--

you

But I need food, and the mobile site is just so pretty I can't stoppppp.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

But I need food, and the mobile site is just so pretty I can't stoppppp.

I'm pretty addicted to the mobile site too. So pretty. 

Also don't sleep. Stay up. Be crazy. 

12 minutes ago, Moru said:

I'm pretty addicted to the mobile site too. So pretty. 

Also don't sleep. Stay up. Be crazy. 

No! We need Chaos alive! If he stays awake for any longer he's gonna drop dead and the site will degrade into cha...

Okay, maybe I need a different word.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

That's because you can't, for now, because when I held the power of the Well of Ascension, I gimped the menu for Activity Streams. For now! 

I'll...just shove that link onto my Shortcut bar, then.  For now.  :ph34r:

Also, dude...you are mortal.  You need SLEEP.  If you continue to fight it, you're going to pass out in a horrible uncomfortable position and wind up with a sore neck.  And then you'll be all grouchy, and because it's summer you won't have any hapless undergrad students to inflict with your ire.  Is that really the sort of immediate future that you want?

First and foremost: Nice work Chaos (and everyone else who helped) :)

A couple of quick things I've noticed:

• I keep seeing the quote and multiquote buttons as part of the post before remembering what they are. I'm wondering if it would be easy/worthwhile to put a small light grey box around them, like the ones around the rep buttons/icon. I think that would make it look slightly more separate/intuitive but it's not a big deal.
  • The quote and rep sections move to separate lines far sooner than they have any need to. Even on my mobile they wouldn't be close to reaching eachother if they were on the same row (perhaps on a really small mobile they might). They go into separate rows as soon as it goes into tablet mode (as such). It just looks a bit odd to me having them separated like that and it unnecessarily stretches the page on mobile. It's not a really big deal though.

@Unodus If it's any consolation regarding Allomantic shaped profile pics, it's not very hard to do your own individually :P

For a (very rough) example: 

unodus profile pic pewter.png

Edit: It appears I'm not doing the @mention right :/

Edit again: Got it now, the popup wasn't appearing when I wrote the post.

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

Question: Would it be terribly difficult to implement "themes"? (for lack of a better term). By that, I mean changing the 'fore'ground colors.

For example: See how the background of this post you're reading is white, and all throughout any thread is white? Could we have an option to say, turn it 'fore'ground color black and have text in a different color (white or green or something else light), a handful of different predetermined color-schemes, sometime in the future? I know other websites have them but I don't know if they're a pain to implement or not.

(I did look through options beforehand to see if they already existed so if I didn't find them, call me dumb and point me to where I should properly look.)

29 minutes ago, Kythis said:

Question: Would it be terribly difficult to implement "themes"? (for lack of a better term). By that, I mean changing the 'fore'ground colors.

For example: See how the background of this post you're reading is white, and all throughout any thread is white? Could we have an option to say, turn it 'fore'ground color black and have text in a different color (white or green or something else light), a handful of different predetermined color-schemes, sometime in the future? I know other websites have them but I don't know if they're a pain to implement or not.

(I did look through options beforehand to see if they already existed so if I didn't find them, call me dumb and point me to where I should properly look.)

It's not currently an option, but it has been suggested before. Admin's have said it takes time to get a theme looking nice and working well, and test it and all that. 

5 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

Chaos, I see you still here on this forum. GO TO SLEEP! THIS IS AN ORDER!

Or I will report your posts!

to --uh--

you

We could always report @Chaos to @Rubix who was reportedly in the other room. Rubix could drug Chaos or tie him down....AND SPIKE HIM SOME MORE! ALL IN THE NAME OF SLEEP! MUAHAHAHAHAHAhaha....haha.....ha?

Oh hey, thread about the update I didn't notice.  I had sent a tweet about this topic, but might as well go ahead and post here for extra chance of being noticed.

Is there any sort of dark theme option I can set for the site?  I have a specific eye condition and the site being a good 90% white now is making it really hard to even type this.

2 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

Now, if I were truly sadistic, this would be the point where I mention that you'd said that awards might make a return under the new update...:P

I'd also like to mention that the site is still missing HTTPS/SSL secure connections :ph34r:

EDIT: Oh, a it would be nice to have facebook application correctly configured to allow us to login through facebook. Currently facebook states that the application is still in developement and only test users and administrators can use it.

Edited by Mestiv