Can someone in the Beyond affect the Physical Realm?

Stranker

This is just something I was wondering. No one knows what the Beyond is like, not even Harmony. I feel like it has more importance to it than just being an afterlife. Maybe someone in the Beyond will eventually need to affect something in the physical realm? What do you guys think?

Well, Beyond is not equal to God Beyond.

Beyond is somewhere out of 3 realms of Cosmere, and is the place ppl's soul head to after death. Somewhere like "The other shore of life".

And what I feel is, since Beyond is out of 3 realms, and seems to be least close to PR, I wonder that something in Beyond could even touch PR. But safer to be conservative on this.

Interesting question, though.

The ansew is of course "We can't know it".

But I will say not, for a couple of reasons (that may be meaningful or meaningless):

- The Shards at least the one we saw, don't know what the Beyond is, this mean they haven't any kind of interaction with it, if someone may influence the Realms from the Beyond... Well a Shard gains some information about the Beyond.

- The Deads' minds are pulled in the Beyond... It's a strong and overcoming pull. Once in the Beyond the pull is probably stronger and for someone there "send" something in the realms will be impossible.

Of course this are only my ideas, I have not sure proofs, I have a couple of ideas about the Beyond and the God Beyond and I am uncapable of deciding what are more likely <_<

3 hours ago, Yata said:

- The Deads' minds are pulled in the Beyond... It's a strong and overcoming pull. Once in the Beyond the pull is probably stronger and for someone there "send" something in the realms will be impossible.

Impossible until Kelsier goes there and tries it, you mean, right?

jW

39 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Impossible until Kelsier goes there and tries it, you mean, right?

jW

He or the Stick of course.

Example:

Honor (restored), Cultivation and Odium appear before the Stick to welcome it before its journey in the Beyond (It is The Stick after all)

H: Well my lord it's time to go

The Mighty Stick: I am a Stick
C: A great journey await for your highnes 

The Mighty Stick: I am a Stick

O: ... The Beyond is where the Sticks goes (nervous)

and the Mighty Stick fades and reachs the Beyond (Leras would be proud of Rayse) , but after some second...

Stick Beyond's Overlord: I AM A STICK!!!

Honor, Cultivation and Odium de-Invest themself from Great Roshar System and run away from their lives.

EDIT: This is pretty cool, i will copy-paste in Sanderson meme XD

Edited by Yata

Well... The only thing we are pretty sure about is that nothing in the three realms can interact with the great beyond. Now... If it is symmetric... Then nobody in the afterlife can interact with the three realms either.

Mind you... In a different threat about the beyond, I noted that various realms are not necessarily symmetric in how one can interact from them. So I wouldn't say that this answers the question.

So... I don't think we can know. Unless SH gets a sequel where Kelsier goes there and tries it.

Edited by Drake Marshall

40 minutes ago, CalypsoDreaming said:

I feel like if people in the Spiritual Realm could interact or influence things in the other realms, it would undermine the storytelling aspect, and would have to be very carefully handled.

The Beyond isn't the Spiritual Realm... The Beyond is a place beyond the 3 Realms.

We know something about the Spiritual Realm and we also saw them a few times because to a certain extent is reachable... The Beyond is mistery also for some Ascendend being like Harmony (but we don't know if it's the same for the other Shards)

Remember how people felt back when WoR was released when Szeth and Jasnah came back from the dead?  Imagine that, but worse.  The Beyond is for characters whose stories are finished, not for those who still have a part to play.  

10 hours ago, Yata said:

The Beyond isn't the Spiritual Realm... The Beyond is a place beyond the 3 Realms.

We know something about the Spiritual Realm and we also saw them a few times because to a certain extent is reachable... The Beyond is mistery also for some Ascendend being like Harmony (but we don't know if it's the same for the other Shards)

Ah, noted. Well, either way the point still stands. It threatens to ruin the finality of death within the books, if characters can interact with others. I, personally would say that it is a mystery, but not one that necessarily has to be solved or answered, even in the Cosmere.

From my perspective, the Beyond is similar to most current religions' idea of the afterlife, and the God Beyond comparable to a truly omniscient/omnipotent deity (Adonalsium was evidently neither because he was Shattered). As such, I highly doubt we'll see anything of it, because doing so would violate the sanctity with which such "true" afterlives are invested, and would spark controversy; when left undescribed, it is up to the reader to decide exactly what kind of heaven/hell/etc. they want to imagine.

Edited by Three1415

5 hours ago, Three1415 said:

a truly omniscient/omnipotent deity (Adonalsium was evidently neither because he was Shattered).

To me, Adonalsium being Shattered is not a reason to rule out omniscience/omnipotence. Depending on how you view Christianity, Jesus was both omniscient and omnipotent but allowed Himself to be killed to fulfill a specific purpose. Adonalsium might have allowed the Shattering for a specific reason, no?

8 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

To me, Adonalsium being Shattered is not a reason to rule out omniscience/omnipotence. Depending on how you view Christianity, Jesus was both omniscient and omnipotent but allowed Himself to be killed to fulfill a specific purpose. Adonalsium might have allowed the Shattering for a specific reason, no?

I think this is what Frost (or whoever did write that letter) thinks. I don't know if Frost thinks Adonalsium was omniscient, but at least he seems to think that the shattering was part of Adonalsium's plan for the cosmere. That's why he doesn't want Hoid interferring.

Of course, if Adonalsium's shattering was part of the plan, so could Hoid's actions, so...

• Chaos locked this topic