Other Shard Influence in Roshar (warning mistborn/warbreaker/cosmere spoilers)

goody153

8 minutes ago, Argel said:

And yet Odium is stuck on Braize, being invested in e.g. a planet limits where a shard can go, the intents can hamper what they can do, etc. They're so powerful they have to act through agents/splinters most of the time....

Odium is stuck on Braize, at least as far as I think we know, because Honor did something to trap him there. A Shard negated a Shard. 

Certainly, Intents and such can hamper or limit a Shard but even Preservation, who could not kill, would be more than capable of locking away any uppity magic user if he desired. 

12 minutes ago, Argel said:

And yet Odium is stuck on Braize, being invested in e.g. a planet limits where a shard can go

We do not know the mechanism of Odium's prison. We can speculate about a deal Honor struck with Odium which made him inable to leave Greater Roshar, but we do not know what's been done nor how it's been done.
Also, Odium is resisted by a fully alive, fully powerful Shard, so it creates a situation similar to Preservation/Ruin equilibrium.

the intents can hamper what they can do

Adonalsium was balanced between the intents of the Shards that were ripped from it; it either means that it was unable to do anything (contrevidence in Adonalsium creating a ton of things) or was able to do anything.

They're so powerful they have to act through agents/splinters most of the time....

Sel: both dead
Scadrial: two locked in deathmatch, then one with conflicting Intents
Roshar: one dead, two in perpetual war

That leaves only Nalthis with Endowment. She does chose to offer a Splinter to someone she considered worthy and a chance to change the future, but those were not things great in the scale of Shards: avert this war, someone dying of illness and so on. We don't even know what Edgli is up to.

But we also don't know what has happened to Sel from Elantris to the 5th stormlight book. We don't know what happened to Roshar between the second and fifth stormlight book. So we have no idea if dominion and devotion are back on the playing field somehow, or if Odium is free by the time of Alloy of Law. Too many variables. 

Argel, you've inspired me with my first theory:

"Adonasium was shattered to liberate its power(s).  It had become too invested in a single planet/system, which restricted it's mobility.  And its "all 16 shard combined" was too overly balanced limiting its possible actions.  Shattering liberated the many shard's powers and mobility."

On 7/11/2016 at 8:53 AM, Eki said:

I think part of the reason that we see so many worldhoppers in Stormlight is that it's one of the latest series chronologically (almost contemporary to W&W Mistborn books), so we just have more characters and worlds that CAN show up. It's possible that there were more worldhoppers in, say, Warbreaker, but we wouldn't have met them before. (Though there weren't that many characters in Warbreaker, so maybe bad example) And, of course, Brandon hadn't invented as many characters before, so that's another reason why there would be more now.

And yeah, I don't think Harmony has any special connection to the 17th shard?

I think another big reason we have so many worldhoppers in this series is because stormlight archive is supposed to be a sort of epic in the cosmere... I mean mistborn is obviously a long story and such (if we get four trilogies for the different eras that is twelve books!), but I believe Sanderson intended Stormlight Archive to be a very ambitious series, after all it will have ten books. I look forward to seeing all these future books:)

Edited by Drake Marshall

1 hour ago, djammmer said:

Argel, you've inspired me with my first theory:

"Adonasium was shattered to liberate its power(s).  It had become too invested in a single planet/system, which restricted it's mobility.  And its "all 16 shard combined" was too overly balanced limiting its possible actions.  Shattering liberated the many shard's powers and mobility."

@djammmer - I started a thread a few months ago discussing some of these possibilities if you'd like to read through and see what came of it: 

3 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I think another big reason we have so many worldhoppers in this series is because stormlight archive is supposed to be a sort of epic in the cosmere... I mean mistborn is obviously a long story and such (if we get four trilogies for the different eras that is twelve books!), but I believe Sanderson intended Stormlight Archive to be a very ambitious series, after all it will have ten books. I look forward to seeing all these future books:)

Not just that, but Odium is of great interest and concern to the rest of the Cosmere I'm sure, so people from other worlds who are Cosmere-aware will naturally be observing and/or interfering depending on how much they know and what their goals are.

jW

• Chaos locked this topic