Is Stormlight really just Electricity?

Arvius

I'm serious. Is stormlight really just static electricity? Think about it! They can only harvest it from highstorms, which would imply that highstorms produce a special kind of electricity that can be absorbed by bonded humans.

Real electricity would get absorbed, but static electricity sorta lingers (I'm sure we've all gotten shocked by something).

Am I right, Or just really bad with words?

Idk. Dont know very much about electricity. But from what I do know, it doesnt act like electricity. But, maybe we just dont know enough about its physical properties yet. I supoose it could act like electricity, by it being a power source. Im 100% sure there is someone on this site that is highly versed in it though lol.

Stormlight doesn't behave all that much like electricity.  Since we know that the Cosmere has real electricity, we can't read it as an analogy, either.

If you had enough static electricity build up in a storm to produce the glowing and effects we see, it wouldn't be a storm.  It would almost instantly turn into the world largest lightning bolt and blow off a significant chunk of the planet.  It may have started off as static electricity, but it wouldn't stay static for long. :)

Edited by happyman

Just the appearance is similar... everything else it hasn't other similarities. It's like to say:

Mistborn Spoiler:

Spoiler

Are the Mists only vapor ?

Stormlight is a piece of raw investiture (we don't know from who) and we know for example that may be used to feed/fuel whatever Invesiture-need device/user.

Edited by Yata

While this is a nice theory, there's the fact that spheres glow when charged with stormlight, which is, AFAIK, not an effect associated with electricity. And nobody mentions ever being shocked by anything shortly after highstorm.

Edited by Rasarr

There's the glowing, plus it doesn't harm non surgebinders, plus I don't think a gemstone would be a very good way to hold charge. They aren't exactly capacitors. On Roshar they seem to be the stormlight equivalent for a capacitor though... It would be very, very interesting to see a later era Roshar mass producing bits of surface mount gems to put in fabrial circuitboards.

Edited by Drake Marshall

On 13/07/2016 at 5:54 PM, Yata said:

Just the appearance is similar... everything else it hasn't other similarities. It's like to say:

Mistborn Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Are the Mists only vapor ?

Stormlight is a piece of raw investiture (we don't know from who) and we know for example that may be used to feed/fuel whatever Invesiture-need device/user.

We have pretty good indications that Stormlight is to some extent aligned with Honour. It might have some of Cultivation's power mixed in, but we know it doesn't have any Odium in it.

1 minute ago, Ari said:

We have pretty good indications that Stormlight is to some extent aligned with Honour. It might have some of Cultivation's power mixed in, but we know it doesn't have any Odium in it.

It's possible, but to be honest I began to think that Stormlight is Adonalsium's Pre-Shattering Investiture left on Roshar and I find hard to remove this idea from my mind :D

1 hour ago, Ari said:

Could have that in it as well, but if it doesn't have any honour in it, it's very strange that the Stormfather has any control over it.

The Stormfather existed before Honor died (and most likely before Honor even arrived), in a slightly different form. We usually call him the Rider of the Storm to distinguish him from the current Stormfather, but if course the Listeners still call him that today. Presumably that entity, a spren of Adonalsium rather than Honor, was the one originally connected to the highstorms.

On 17/07/2016 at 9:03 PM, Eki said:

The Stormfather existed before Honor died (and most likely before Honor even arrived), in a slightly different form. We usually call him the Rider of the Storm to distinguish him from the current Stormfather, but if course the Listeners still call him that today. Presumably that entity, a spren of Adonalsium rather than Honor, was the one originally connected to the highstorms.

Do we have a WoB on this or something? Because there's a fair amount of assumption built in there that I'm not comfortable with just taking someone else's word for. (That said, we all miss things in the books, so if this is one of those things for me, all good) All I remember the books implying is that there's a Spren of this type that has power over highstorms, and it's Honour's cognitive shadow. I don't recall any indication that Stormfather is more like a title that can be taken up by any Spren, as opposed to a result of who this Spren was. And the Parshendi do imply he is and has always been their enemy, which would be consistent with the Stormfather only ever having been the one Spren, at least in living memory.

9 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I believe that it is more odium's arrival that changed him however... I think it could be said that the stormfather probably is a part of honor, but when Tanavast died that obviously had implications for the stormfather.

Actually the Listeners said that the Rider of the Storm (Stormfather) was among the Spren who betrayed them giving their power to the humans instead of them.

Therefore it's legit to think that the Stormfather (former Rider of the Storm) was there in ancient times before Radiants and all...Possibly the Rider of the Storm was on Roshar before H&C arrived. This will probably mean that he is an Adonalsiumspren (like other mindless across the Shardworld). Honor "recluited him" for his war... When Honor died, his Shadow want to continue his fight aganist Odium and merged with the Rider (maybe because they are compatible... an AdonalsiumSpren and a the mind of a man who predate the Shattering).

Of course many of this things are speculations

It's likely that the Rider was around for a long time, at least if he is the one who sends/controls the storms. The storms have been around for a very long time after all - the native ecology is completely adapted to them, and in many cases even reliant on them.

21 hours ago, Eki said:

It's likely that the Rider was around for a long time, at least if he is the one who sends/controls the storms. The storms have been around for a very long time after all - the native ecology is completely adapted to them, and in many cases even reliant on them.

The Highstorms predate the Shattering (WoB) but we don't know if the Hightstorms was Invested at those time (I think yes, but there aren't proofs)

Edited by Yata

8 hours ago, Yata said:

Actually the Listeners said that the Rider of the Storm (Stormfather) was among the Spren who betrayed them giving their power to the humans instead of them.

Therefore it's legit to think that the Stormfather (former Rider of the Storm) was there in ancient times before Radiants and all...Possibly the Rider of the Storm was on Roshar before H&C arrived. This will probably mean that he is an Adonalsiumspren (like other mindless across the Shardworld). Honor "recluited him" for his war... When Honor died, his Shadow want to continue his fight aganist Odium and merged with the Rider (maybe because they are compatible... an AdonalsiumSpren and a the mind of a man who predate the Shattering).

Of course many of this things are speculations

It is certainly legit to think that the stormfather was there in ancient times... But we don't know for sure that this is the case. There is no reason to assume that the knights radiant showed up at the exact same moment honor and cultivation traveled to Roshar and presumably made humans there. In fact, the fact that the stormfather "betrayed" the listeners to humanity implies that humans existed for some time before the stormfather's defection, meaning that honor was probably around for a little while before making radiants. Thus the stormfather could easily have been part of honor, although it could also viably have existed before then.

2 hours ago, Eki said:

Probably the storms were a natural pattern on the planet before any shards got involved. If storms always existed as a natural pattern, then there may have been a sort of natural investiture associated with them, in which case the stormfather has existed probably since before the shattering. Or maybe they were just storms before honor showed up and invested them. Also the adaption in of itself is no evidence because honor could have adapted life forms like the lord ruler changed plants with the power of preservation... But I think the WoB settles that question; storms have apparently existed on Roshar since ancient times.

I don't think we really know either way if the Stormfather existed since ancient times though. I would be very interested to find out what the stormfather actually is... He is related to honor's cognitive shadow in some ways, but the details are vague. Fortunately, I think since Dalinar's book is coming next, we will probably find out a lot more about the nature of the stormfather soon.

Edited by Drake Marshall

17 hours ago, Yata said:

The Highstorms predate the Shattering (WoB) but we don't know if the Hightstorms was Invested at those time (I think yes, but there isn't proofs)

True, but the highstorms themselves wouldn't work without magic of some kind.

13 hours ago, Eki said:

True, but the highstorms themselves wouldn't work without magic of some kind.

Why?

Anyway, knowing that Adonalsium created some spren on Roshar it's possible they were always Invested, but we have no proofs.

7 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Anyway, knowing that Adonalsium created some spren on Roshar it's possible they were always Invested, but we have no proofs.

I think the same, well we have a little clue but I can't call it "a proof".

The Listener seems to predate Humans and Shards on Roshar. They are Spren dependant (their whole evolution-creation is about be a uncomplete be that may became complete through Spren's bond) and they need:

1) A spren to bond with

2) A great amount of Investiture to perform the trasformation

Of course we know already there are AdonalsiumSpren on Roshar but I find unlikely that Adonalsium designed the Listeners to be uncapable of trasform within their own ecology.

A possible answer is "the Stormlight is always part of the Highstorm as a Investiture left by Adonalsium to made possible the peculiar Roshar's ecology". Remember that an Huge Amount of Investiture left on Roshar may be also the cause of the Spren manifestation... There ara a lot of power who shifted on the planet and the Realms buonds are weaker.

(I may use a extremely wrong wording but it's like if Roshar itself is a Pseudo-Perpendicularity where the realms tend to overlapping)

But this may be see as a proof or not based by someone's position on the matter (I am not exactly an impartial Judge :D)

10 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Why?

They are too regular, too fierce, too... unnatural. Using normal physics (and we know the Cosmere has fairly normal physics before magic comes in), highstorms just wouldn't happen.

That they are somehow created through magic doesn't necessarily mean the storms themselves are Invested though. But I'm fairly certain they need magic to exist in the first place.

38 minutes ago, Eki said:

They are too regular, too fierce, too... unnatural. Using normal physics (and we know the Cosmere has fairly normal physics before magic comes in), highstorms just wouldn't happen.

That they are somehow created through magic doesn't necessarily mean the storms themselves are Invested though. But I'm fairly certain they need magic to exist in the first place.

Are they any more unnatural than Jupiter's Red Spot, though? A massive, unending storm that circles the planet isn't incomprehensible. Keep in mind the geography of Roshar is insane: a single continent set in a massive sea, no other land on the rest of the planet so far as we know. With those conditions, nothing would ever completely stop a storm like that, even if the part over land broke as it does. It might be of magical origin, but I'm not convinced it absolutely must be.

jW

54 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Are they any more unnatural than Jupiter's Red Spot, though? A massive, unending storm that circles the planet isn't incomprehensible. Keep in mind the geography of Roshar is insane: a single continent set in a massive sea, no other land on the rest of the planet so far as we know. With those conditions, nothing would ever completely stop a storm like that, even if the part over land broke as it does. It might be of magical origin, but I'm not convinced it absolutely must be.

jW

The rest of Jupiter is also a storm, pretty much. The spot is also, if I recall correctly, a whirlwind. Highstorms aren't, they blow in one direction. I don't think Jupiter is a fair comparison.