Pokemon Go!

Vyree

3 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Man when you get past level 20  or so it takes a crazy amount of XP to gain a new level. 

I think I've seen that it's basically the sum of all the previous levels. So if it takes a total of 100,000 XP to go from 1-19, it'd take 100,000 more to reach level 20 (made up numbers). Haven't checked the math on that though.

Edit: checked it. I'm level 20 now; it took me 210,000 total XP to get there, and level 21 requires 50,000 above that. So the above theory is definitely not true.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

I'm level 19, started a little while ago, but have an excellent area.  I can walk two miles (round trip) and get like 30 pokestops, and like 40 Pokemon, in about an hour.  There is not really anything worth getting at my level, most of my best stuff comes from eggs or evolving.

But there are a whole ton of Pidgies and Wheedles.  So, I just wait till I have about 144 candy for each, activate a lucky egg, and boost two or three levels.  The levels I boost get less and less the higher I get, but it's still the best way to level I know.

There are also a bunch of Evees, so some of my best stuff are evolved Evees, Jolteons, Flareons, etc.  My best thing is a Snorlax, which came out of an egg with over 1000 XP. :P 

On 8/10/2016 at 1:16 PM, Jondesu said:

Hatched four 5km eggs today.  Two were almost there already, but I put in the extra 5km of walking to hatch the other two (I have two incubators).  Got a Ponyta and a Koffing for the trouble, nothing all that special, but I was a bit proud of myself anyways.

Edit: As you might expect, I am now quite sore (legs especially). Also, Pikachu! :angry: Escaped from a Great Ball, despite Razz Berries, curve balls, "Nice" and "Great" hits...6 times in a row! The only one I've seen, stuck around through all that, then ran away from me. So I still don't have a Pikachu.

jW

Your are preaching to the choir on escaped Pokes. I used 26 Ultra Balls after a Razz candy on the Dragonite I encountered (curve balls, nice/great/excellent throws, etc.) and after the 26th it ran.

16 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Man when you get past level 20  or so it takes a crazy amount of XP to gain a new level. 

I know what you mean. I'm about halfway through 23, even with evolutions/lucky eggs and such it just takes forever to level up.

1 hour ago, Iron Eyes said:

Your are preaching to the choir on escaped Pokes. I used 26 Ultra Balls after a Razz candy on the Dragonite I encountered (curve balls, nice/great/excellent throws, etc.) and after the 26th it ran.

I know what you mean. I'm about halfway through 23, even with evolutions/lucky eggs and such it just takes forever to level up.

Woah… that sucks.

BTW, since we were talking about names previously: I had to name my Exeggutor "Paalm".  Couldn't resist. (Since it looks like a Palm tree and all, and, well, SoS.)

jW

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

I would cry.

2 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Woah… that sucks.

BTW, since we were talking about names previously: I had to name my Exeggutor "Paalm".  Couldn't resist. (Since it looks like a Palm tree and all, and, well, SoS.)

jW

Yeah, I was a little salty about it... Fortunately, it would have been my 2nd Dragonite (I had previously evolved one) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Then again, The one I evolved is CP 1872 and the one I encountered was over CP 2100 so that kind of sucked...

I nickname most of my Pokemon, I don't actually have any Cosmere based names though. I should change that.

Just now, Iron Eyes said:

Yeah, I was a little salty about it... Fortunately, it would have been my 2nd Dragonite (I had previously evolved one) so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Then again, The one I evolved is CP 1872 and the one I encountered was over CP 2100 so that kind of sucked...

I nickname most of my Pokemon, I don't actually have any Cosmere based names though. I should change that.

Yeah, I name almost all of mine, but only two are Cosmere. The other one I had mentioned before (Nightblood, my Ghastly).

I recently added a Flareon named Firewall, and an Electabuzz named Garfield. A lot of my names aren't that great.

jW

8 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

I'm level 23 now and it's 125k to get to level 24. All I really care about is getting to 30 because there is no more increase on CP but it's going to take forever!

Isn't it just the CP of wild Pokémon that doesn't improve, but you can still use power up to get better ones? And level 20 for eggs.

24 minutes ago, Eki said:

Isn't it just the CP of wild Pokémon that doesn't improve, but you can still use power up to get better ones? And level 20 for eggs.

Yes the CP of wild Pokemon goes up as you level to level 30 (max level 40). So a Pokemon you catch at level 30 may be 200-300 better CP than level 20 (I don't know the actual number just that it's more). You can always power them up but you may not want to waste too much stardust on that until levels closer to 30. 

I'm just trying to hit 20 right now.  A local ice cream shop gives a larger size of ice cream, free, for each level divisible by five until 20. :P Free ice cream is a good reason for leveling.

The only problem I have is the hacks I know there are for the game, and I never stop wondering if the insanely high leveled things in the gyms near me are legit or not.

21 hours ago, Jondesu said:

So, I took over a gym today and figured why leave my best Pokémon to defend it?

Did this instead. Little runt held the gym on his own for over an hour.

IMG_1954.PNG

jW

This is actually along the lines of how Mystic has held all of the Gyms (more or less) near where I live. We set the first two stages of the Gym with really weak Pokemon so you can quickly train the gym level up and then stages 3-10 get real Pokes. You can load a gym up to level 5-6 like this in about 20 minutes. The trick is you just need a group of 5 or 6 to initially take the gym.

On 07/09/2016 at 7:17 AM, Jondesu said:

So, I took over a gym today and figured why leave my best Pokémon to defend it?

Did this instead. Little runt held the gym on his own for over an hour.

IMG_1954.PNG

jW

XD, I have a friend on team Valour who waits for us Mystic people to take a gym, then quickly puts in a Magicarp into the gym during the neutral period to take it, then another valour friend puts in his 2400 dragonite in...

Sad life.

On the other hand, the friend with the 2400 dragonite has a Kangashkan nest around his house and promised me that he would catch one CP 1000+ :) 

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2016 at 5:34 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

XD, I have a friend on team Valour who waits for us Mystic people to take a gym, then quickly puts in a Magicarp into the gym during the neutral period to take it, then another valour friend puts in his 2400 dragonite in...

Sad life.

On the other hand, the friend with the 2400 dragonite has a Kangashkan nest around his house and promised me that he would catch one CP 1000+ :) 

Happily, the latest update has rendered this trick impossible.  There's a cooldown period of a few minutes now where only the person who defeated the gym can claim it.

Edited by Kaymyth

15 minutes ago, Titan Arum said:

How many people still play Pokemon Go? I'm now level 30 and only need one more mon to complete my North America pokedex. My desire to grind for XP has been severely diminished, despite the current XP boost. Nonetheless, I still open the ap at least twice a day while walking my dog. 

I do!  Though I'm considerably behind you; only level 22, and still a ton of critters in my dex still sitting in sad chalk outlines.  With winter setting in, I'm not likely to get out and about nearly as often as I had been.

I keep hearing rumors about Gen 2 lurking around the corner.  Some people think it's going to be next week, while others figure it'll be after the the first of the year in the spring when it starts to warm up again.  That might revitalize things.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Mythical said:

I do!  Though I'm considerably behind you; only level 22, and still a ton of critters in my dex still sitting in sad chalk outlines.  With winter setting in, I'm not likely to get out and about nearly as often as I had been.

I keep hearing rumors about Gen 2 lurking around the corner.  Some people think it's going to be next week, while others figure it'll be after the the first of the year in the spring when it starts to warm up again.  That might revitalize things.

Out of all the pokemon you're still missing, which is highest on your wishlist? I'm only missing a Hitmonchan. 

I also have heard about Gen 2 supposedly coming out on Dec. 7th, but to me it's only a rumor until Niantic says something. In the mean time, I've been hoarding a ton of candy for mon in Gen1 that can be evolved further in Gen2 while also trying to find high IV versions of them:

1. Eevee
  2. Onix
  3. Slowpoke
  4. Oddish
  5. Zubat
  6. Poliwag
  7. Horsea

23 hours ago, Titan Arum said:

Out of all the pokemon you're still missing, which is highest on your wishlist? I'm only missing a Hitmonchan. 

I also have heard about Gen 2 supposedly coming out on Dec. 7th, but to me it's only a rumor until Niantic says something. In the mean time, I've been hoarding a ton of candy for mon in Gen1 that can be evolved further in Gen2 while also trying to find high IV versions of them:

1. Eevee
  2. Onix
  3. Slowpoke
  4. Oddish
  5. Zubat
  6. Poliwag
  7. Horsea

Would you believe I have yet to catch a Pikachu?  Haven't even seen one spawn.  It's distressing, I tells ya.

Yeah, I'm a bit iffy on Gen 2 coming out quite that quickly.  I would think that something that big would involve a lot of hype on their part to get people interested.

I'm torn on candy hoarding right now, because my Jolteon and Flareon need upgrading some more, and I have yet to get a Vaporeon worth keeping.  I'd like to have my first gen set before I start looking at new Eeveelutions.  Still haven't found an Onix, nor enough Horseas to even get my Gen 1 evolution in.

The big CP shift they did a couple weeks ago really shook things up.  On the one hand, I got a few BIG jumps in Pokemon power for a few of my key 'mon.  On the other...well, it rendered the IV calculator spreadsheet that Oudeis sent me ages ago completely unusable.  I had to go out and find a new calculator, and it took a couple of days before they started getting updated with the new values.

Edited by Ookla the Mythical