Knights Radiant linked to Heralds

2 hours ago, Emerald101 said:

The only way that Ishar would be able to back up the threat he made would be using either some Bondsmith-specific power to break their Nahel bonds, or some kind of special Herald power that we don't know about.

Or just power of authorithy - Heralds were regarded as divine beings, the emissaries of the Almighty, the leaders and protectors of mankind.
Anyway they had at that point more battle experience (Desolations) than any Radiant (what could have been life expectancy with stone/bronze level tech and probably they had a lot less gems providing Stormlight than in current era?), so there is that.

Arguments could be made that since Honorblades where made specifically for the Heralds their Stormlight efficiency could have been better, but I don't like striding into speculation without any proof.

Anyway, my take on that Ishar epigraph is that that's when the Surgebinders were organized into Orders, with hierarchy, chain of command and so on. It's... it's like the difference between scattered superheroes and foundation of Justice League. Things start to get coordinated; no more Surgebinders fighting between themselves, they are sent where they are needed and things like that.

Not to mention that they would start passing experience between generations and teach new, fresh Surgebinders. That would help a lot.

7 hours ago, Releaser said:

I am a big fan of the theory that every herald (besides Taln) was at that Parshendi treaty signing feast. 

Haven't read the theory but wondered about that, too! Do you happen to have a link to such a discussion?

Edit: Just been to the discussion about the Aimians' curse, which reminded me: could the beggar that Axies meets be Jezrien? He would have had years after the party to move through all of Roshar. He asks Axies whether he's a herald, which seems a pointer against it, but after all, if that really was him at the party, he even asked 'Have you seen me?' So why should he remember that he knows all the heralds? And he does have something of a god complex...

Edited by Erklitt

16 hours ago, Erklitt said:

Haven't read the theory but wondered about that, too! Do you happen to have a link to such a discussion?

Who knows where that discussion is now, that might have been after WoK was released that I read that. 

A similar theory has it that all of the Heralds that stayed on Roshar, are now the opposite of what they were. The healer is now a murder (speculation that Vedel is one of the ardents helping King Taravangian kill people). Jezrien the former leader of the heralds, is now a slobbering gibbering drunk. Shallash who was the herald of art or what ever is now destroying all art with her face on it (and prob the assassian that Jesnah meets with).  

On 7/19/2016 at 1:32 PM, Drake Marshall said:

It is also interesting to note that the heralds seem to still be around in current Roshar... We have seen Talenel, Shalash, and Nalan. I am willing to bet that we have seen at least one other herald that we haven't recognized yet. I highly doubt these three are the only ones who will be involved in the story when all is said and done.

Who are Salash and Nalan? And is Zial a herald?

Shalash is the herald who apparently is going to great efforts to destroy statues and paintings of herself. We see her doing this in an interlude in Words of Radiance, and Szeth notes that the statue of Shalash is missing right before he assassinates Gavilar, which is likely also her work.

Nalan (refered to by Szeth as Nin) is the herald of justice. Several interuldes in Words of Radiance involve him and some incipient surgebinders, and then there is his encounter with Szeth at the end of the book...

I am afraid I am going to have to return in kind now. Who exactly is Zial? The only name similar to that I can think of is Zahel... If by any chance you do refer to Zahel, he isn't a herald no.

Edited by Drake Marshall

On 7/20/2016 at 3:07 PM, Oversleep said:

Or just power of authorithy - Heralds were regarded as divine beings, the emissaries of the Almighty, the leaders and protectors of mankind.
Anyway they had at that point more battle experience (Desolations) than any Radiant (what could have been life expectancy with stone/bronze level tech and probably they had a lot less gems providing Stormlight than in current era?), so there is that.

The Phrase used in the the Epigraph is "destroy each and every one", which in my mind implies use of physical force. Also, we have absolutely no way of knowing what level of experience the Heralds had when this took place. You seem to be assuming that there was a gap of substantial length between the beginning of the Oathpact and the Epigraph, which is supported by no evidence whatsoever. For all we know it was a couple years, or even shorter.

19 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Where exactly is this picture? I didn't see it on a scan of WoK and WoR, and I would like it for future reference. 

If you have the hardcover for way if kings,  it's one of the endpapers.  Without the handy labels on this pic tho :) 

18 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Thanks @Doctor12. Unfortunately, I have the kindle version, but I saved the image for future use  

The things you miss when buying e-books. Back cover summary, pictures… 

Exactly!  I first read all of Brandon's books on my phone (Brandon isn't that popular in Malaysia yet), but now I'm trying to collect the hardcovers due to all the lovely extras included.  And of course physical books are just better. 

26 minutes ago, Doctor12 said:

Exactly!  I first read all of Brandon's books on my phone (Brandon isn't that popular in Malaysia yet), but now I'm trying to collect the hardcovers due to all the lovely extras included.  And of course physical books are just better. 

I hear you there. Strangely, I'm actually more likely to read a book and finish faster than I do with e-books.

I'm beginning to think I need to get the hardcovers just for those extras, even though I probably will never actually read them. I imagine they must be rather bulky, and I like reading with the book held in one hand, which makes the kindle just ideal.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:02 PM, Erklitt said:

I'm beginning to think I need to get the hardcovers just for those extras, even though I probably will never actually read them. I imagine they must be rather bulky, and I like reading with the book held in one hand, which makes the kindle just ideal.

Getting in shape enough to read one of the Stormlight books with one hand would be quite the exercise regime.  Pity it would just end up giving you enormous hands.

• Chaos locked this topic