Where Hoid went when he left the shattered plains

VinKohlin

Okay, so in WoK when Hoid is talking with Dalinar and says he would like to "Stay and make fun of the kings friends and eat free food but unfortunately the greater cosmere can not wait." I wondered where he was going. What if he went to Scadrial for a bit, probably to give Wax the coppermind coin in Bands of Mourning, before he came back to Roshar? 

What do you guys think?

Mistborn Era 2 happens after WoK.

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

The Alloy of Law takes place around 300 years after The Hero of Ages and several hundred years before the events in The Way of Kings. That does put it around the same time as Warbreaker.

FOOTNOTE

This was recently changed when Brandon realized a timeline conflict. Way of Kings is now in between Hero of Ages and Alloy of Law.

Alloy of Law Reddit Q&A

There's been some speculation that all the Era 2 mistborn stories are essentially happening in the "break time" between the first and second halves of the Stormlight Archive, but I haven't seen that confirmed by WoB yet. :)

3 hours ago, Ari said:

There's been some speculation that all the Era 2 mistborn stories are essentially happening in the "break time" between the first and second halves of the Stormlight Archive, but I haven't seen that confirmed by WoB yet. :)

IIRC, The Final Metal started off being say 10-20 years afterward SA5 to closer to 5 years, to possibly even overlapping. So not sure if it has been nailed down yet but the trending is pretty clear. So some good chance for some overlap.

Again though, did we ever get that confirmed?

edit: Found it while looking for something else on theoryland. Mistborn Era 2 definitely happens after Stormlight Archive book 5, but it might be even later, like after SA6 or SA7, and it's one of the challenges in giving us a timeline of the books, as he might need to write that far into Stormlight before he knows for sure where it slots in.

Edited by Ari
Found the relevant WoB

Those were all from WoBs from the touring and conventions from earlier this year. The 10-20 years may not be exact, but I remember reading the one where he indicated it could be closer to 5. And then later on he talked about a possible overlap. I do not think it has been nailed down, but as I said, the trending is pretty clear. It could just come down to when and where Hoid needs to be to do certain things. Ot it could be a lot more. Do we know if The Last Metal (final metal?) is supposed to come out? After SA5?

Edited by Argel

13 hours ago, Landis963 said:

I think he went to meet up with Taln, when he arrived at that village at the end of the book.  

Okay, that makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Argel said:

Those were all from WoBs

What does WoB stand for again? 

Hm... Well the way he said "the greater cosmere" makes me think that he went to a different planet, not somewhere on Roshar. If the annotation to that WoB is correct, than the WoK doesn't happen in paralell to another cosmere novel, so I don't think we can really know where hoid went. Perhaps the point of that line was to name drop the cosmere, though it isn't out of the question that it holds more plot significance than that.

45 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Isn't it supposed to be 2018? After Oathbringer, but before SA4 or Elantris sequels?

This. Check, I think, the last State of the Sanderson. "The Lost Metal" is the next "big book" slated for the Cosmere after "Oathbringer" iirc.

EDIT, from the State of Sanderson 2015:

Therefore, I’ve slotted this in after Stormlight 3 as well. Hopefully it won’t get pushed back again. Usually I try to do about equal in pages to a Stormlight book between Stormlight books. That gives me room for three smaller books. Right now plans are for these three books to be The Lost Metal (Wax and Wayne 4), The Atzlanian, and a new project. (See below.)

Edited by PallonianFire

• Chaos locked this topic