Sam Script

@Sam Script Turns out it was partly head canon from my side. There's a footnote on theoryland that states 'BWS has stated elsewhere that Hoid has not used his lerasium bead.' and I had taken that for fact. However I find no primary source for this. And maybe it was just 'has not used up...'?

In addition there have been answers that strengthened that impression by their very vagueness, like:

Herowannabe: Would you answer if Hoid used it for Feruchemy?
Brandon Sanderson: His bead? Hoid’s bead was—He originally got it because he wanted to be an Allomancer.

To me that always sounded like in the end, he hadn't used it for Allomancy. But that's interpretation.

And on the other hand, there's this:

Question: Can you share any abilities that Hoid has accrued so far in the books, has he-- I can't even pronounce the L-word...
Brandon Sanderson: Yes, lerasium, he is indeed an Allomancer. That has happened. I haven't confirmed much else, but he does have that.

Still, no clear statement whether he used that particular bead.

On reddit I found an indirect quote: 'All he has said was that's there's other uses of Lerasium besides consuming it.' which might suggest the Feruchemy part.

So in the end, I guess nothing is certain, but the 'consumed part of it, kept part of it' seems a pretty likely theory.

@Jondesu If there is such a WoB, I haven't found it, though I tried. There's lots of confirmation that Hoid does have a bead, but not that the element from the letter is that bead.

Edited by Erklitt
confusing typo

Cool @AnanasSpren could you give us the original text?

@Erklitt it could also mean that Hoid used Lerasium to gain Allomancy, but somehow took it to develop other usages as well. It doesN'T mean Allomancy is NOT from the Lerasium.

Yeah we're sure about not much, but the bead was used for Allomancy is, actually, pretty believable:lol:

(And the Nahel question was ignored. Why the bond is named by the name? Expecting for creative ideas

17 minutes ago, Sam Script said:

Cool @AnanasSpren could you give us the original text?

@Erklitt it could also mean that Hoid used Lerasium to gain Allomancy, but somehow took it to develop other usages as well. It doesN'T mean Allomancy is NOT from the Lerasium.

Yeah we're sure about not much, but the bead was used for Allomancy is, actually, pretty believable:lol:

(And the Nahel question was ignored. Why the bond is named by the name? Expecting for creative ideas

Actually, got my letters mixed up, was thinking of the second one. My bad!

15 minutes ago, Sam Script said:

Agreed, and that's what I said in my conclusion. Just wanted to make clear why it's not quite clear (and where my erroneous head canon came from). Is that clear now? :D

About Nahel: AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing to go by (or are there any WoBs?) so it's just 'fire away'. The capitalization seems to point to a proper name.

• Maybe the name of the first spren to try / do it?
  • Or of the first human surgebinder?
  • The place where it first occurred? (don't like that one much)
  • Possibly some technical term from Shadesmar that has something to do with what happens during forming or maintaining that bond? No idea whatsoever what that might be though...

I've seen a theory that Nahel is the name of Cultivation's shardholder. The idea was that because bond refers to Honor, Nahel should be connected to Cultivation in some way, since the magic system is a mix of the two. Even if Nahel isn't the shardholder, I think it is connected to Cultivation. 

On 7/26/2016 at 2:20 PM, Radiant Returned said:

I think it's more likely based on Sigzil's personality that he's just a good listener and understands humans and so is easy to open up to

I, too, think this is the answer. Sigzil is simply a good listener (no, not the Parshendi kind).

6 hours ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

I've seen a theory that Nahel is the name of Cultivation's shardholder. The idea was that because bond refers to Honor, Nahel should be connected to Cultivation in some way, since the magic system is a mix of the two. Even if Nahel isn't the shardholder, I think it is connected to Cultivation. 

Nahel sounds pretty male... so maybe it's related to Cultivation yeah. When do we have a confirmation that Surgebinding is of both H&C?

3 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

I, too, think this is the answer. Sigzil is simply a good listener (no, not the Parshendi kind).

Well @CaptainRyan the special terms would usually be capitalized, so seldom would be mistaken:)

• Chaos locked this topic