5 hours ago, Quiver said:

...yikes. So much math.:mellow:

Does that all lead to competitive pokemon teams which are rather "same-ish"? I ask since, it sounds like there is a meta behind the games which would let you figure out an optimised team, moves and stats.

The above only leads to "Max out IV's, and put EV's into stat X, Y, and Z". The common standard is EV's in your attack(max), speed(max), and HP(remaining). That said, this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's a good rule of thumb. Pending on your party make up, you might go against this.

Your team make up is going to dictate the majority of your stats and abilities and such.

15 hours ago, Eki said:

Porygon and its evolutions are artificial.

Completely forgot about Porygon (speaking of him, I am yet to find one of him/her in GO)

Also, alot of pokemon are created by "spirits", so in-between natural and artificial, I've been thinking about what these "spirits" really are, gods? primal beings?creators of Pokemon?

I smell a fanfiction

18 hours ago, Eki said:

Porygon and its evolutions are artificial. We don't know about some other Pokémon such as Magnemite (Bulbapedia tells me they existed 3000 years ago) or Voltorb (possibly created when a Pokéball was exposed to high energies), but we do know about Porygon for sure.

...Huh. You know, a while back, I was planning on doing a series in the vein of Race for the Iron Throne, where I played some of  apokemon game, typed it up as an account on a blog, then used it as a springboard to talk about... something. Worldbuilding, or history, or whatever.

This line... kind of makes me wonder why the worldbuilding and history of the pokemon universe is like. Electric pokemon, presumably, have always existed, so did humans use those to power things? Did electricity come about because of studying Magnemites, and making Pikachu's run in mazes to find electric cheese?

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

...Huh. You know, a while back, I was planning on doing a series in the vein of Race for the Iron Throne, where I played some of  apokemon game, typed it up as an account on a blog, then used it as a springboard to talk about... something. Worldbuilding, or history, or whatever.

This line... kind of makes me wonder why the worldbuilding and history of the pokemon universe is like. Electric pokemon, presumably, have always existed, so did humans use those to power things? Did electricity come about because of studying Magnemites, and making Pikachu's run in mazes to find electric cheese?

Do Pikachus dream of electric cheese?

I had to...

One theory Ive heard is that language in the pokemon world came from the cries of pokemon and not the other way around. So the word Blaze comes from Blazikens cry and Blaziken is a fire pokemon... it makes sense!

So looping that back to what you were talking about it is possible that pokemon helped make civilization possible, especially electric types.

Well...effectively Arceus is the big g.o.d. I never really considered pokemon had a legit, cohesive theory but according to bulbapedia they do o.O http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world

EDIT: and @Quiver apparently Rowlet's evolved forms may be called Archoot and Robinroot respectively, although I think Robinhoot soundssounds waaay better :lol:

Edited by AnanasSpren

On 06/08/2016 at 3:52 PM, AnanasSpren said:

Well...effectively Arceus is the big g.o.d. I never really considered pokemon had a legit, cohesive theory but according to bulbapedia they do o.O http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world

EDIT: and @Quiver apparently Rowlet's evolved forms may be called Archoot and Robinroot respectively, although I think Robinhoot soundssounds waaay better :lol:

If I go with Rowlet, I'm thinking 'Owliver Queen' :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-08-08 at 8:22 PM, Pathfinder said:

In the past is there a standard time before the release of the game where they confirm the starter's evolutions? Or do they release the game, and people find out via playing?

They tend to release them before the games come out, but there have already been concept art leaks for this generation. We'll have to wait and see if the leaks are actually true or not though.

I think I'll try to avoid that particular piece of information though, so I at least have some majorsurprises when I actually play :D

The wikipedia article lists the world as "Aloha" XD

Anyway. I just played firered for the first time, been meaning to fore a while(a few years), and finally got to it when my mates decided to go back and play the remakes of the originals. I finished the game (not including completing the national pokedex), in 3 days, finishing off with catching Mewtwo, Suicune and beating trainer tower :). I also started emerald but i just CBB, and replayed firered again with a randomiser, which was an interesting experience. I also started HeartGold. 

Just pre-ordered Moon, and my roommate got Sun. But now I'm torn on who to get as a starter! I normally always chose fire, but after seeing the wrestler evolution of Litten (has that leak been confirmed yet, btw?) I wasn't a fan. If those leaked forms end up being the real forms, I'll have no idea who to chose between Rowlet and Popplio. Also, I tend to chose my team based on personal preference, not who would be the best Pokemon to fill this slot, so we'll see how that turns out. I'll be using Alolan Ninetails no matter what.   

I'd love to use Ninetails too, but I don't think I'll decide until I'm actually playing. Ice Pokémon tend to turn up pretty late in the story, unfortunately. That doesn't have to be the case for these games, of course.

I'm interested to see how the alola forms play out. Vulpix is one of my favorite pokemon, and i love the looks of ice vulpix.

Alolan sandslash also has a really awesome typing (ice/steel). Makes me wonder how it will play out competitively, it might be a pretty decent stealth rock user (assuming its move pool doesn't change much, though i suspect it will)...

On 2016-08-24 at 8:02 PM, Eerongal said:

I'm interested to see how the alola forms play out. Vulpix is one of my favorite pokemon, and i love the looks of ice vulpix.

Alolan sandslash also has a really awesome typing (ice/steel). Makes me wonder how it will play out competitively, it might be a pretty decent stealth rock user (assuming its move pool doesn't change much, though i suspect it will)...

You think so? I think it only has three weaknesses, but two of them are 4x... It hits a lot of stuff offensively, but... I guess we'll see.

54 minutes ago, Eki said:

You think so? I think it only has three weaknesses, but two of them are 4x... It hits a lot of stuff offensively, but... I guess we'll see.

yeah, but the 4x weaknesses are fire and fighting. Not exactly the MOST common of moves used, though competitively you'd probably have to watch out for eruption. I can't even think of a fighting move off hand that's common ENOUGH that i'd worry about it.

Ground weakness kinda sucks, though, with precipice blades groudon being very common this year in general, plus earthquake is pretty much always a staple. It's only 2x, though. It has some pretty decent resistances with it, though.

I'm honestly most interested to see HOW the movepool changes, though. Sandslash isn't exactly the most powerful 'mon, but it has an alright attack and defense stats, with the right movepool it could make a decent helping hand/follow me/fakeout supporter to go along with a new pretty good typing.

I can't really speak for VGC, especially since the rules are bound to change for next year (I doubt they'll do the whole restricted thing two years in a row), but in general, fire attacks are fairly common, if nothing else than to deal with things like Scizor. And I can think of quite a few Pokémon that carry things like Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Close Combat, Superpower... Again, maybe not in VGC, but definitely in singles.

Oh, and I don't think we've had any confirmation about if stats change for Alolan forms or not... I would think they do, honestly.

Edited by Eki

Yeah, the movepool has to change. It would be fun if some egg moves were attacks the other form learns.

Although, it seems like Cubone doesn't have an Alolan form, meaning Alolan Marowak will still be able to learn ground moves, regardless of which attacks it can learn after evolving.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2016 at 4:12 AM, Dankness Ascendant said:

haha XD.

I love how creative pokemon are getting, *david attenborough voice* Ah yes, the rare key pokemon in it's natural habitat, did you know there is also a sword pokemon, a chandelier pokemon. Not to mention dedenne is basically Raichu among alot more other stuff

I know this was at the beginning of the conversation, but I'm just going to point out that Klefki is an incredible player with Prankster, Aegislash is almost stupidly OP, Chandelure has absurdly high special attack, and, apparently, each generation needs a Pikachu clone. Just sayin.

9 hours ago, Aon tEhe said:

Aegislash is almost stupidly OP

Almost?

From a non-competitive standpoint, it's absurd. From where you can get Honedge in X/Y, almost every single gym (except the Electric one) and the Champion can be cleared by Honedge or one of its evolutions. Aegislash just tops the cake with King's Shield.

It's less obscene in a competitive standpoint, but that's because you're not really dealing with a silly AI anymore.

On 12/10/2016 at 2:05 PM, Aon tEhe said:

I know this was at the beginning of the conversation, but I'm just going to point out that Klefki is an incredible player with Prankster, Aegislash is almost stupidly OP, Chandelure has absurdly high special attack, and, apparently, each generation needs a Pikachu clone. Just sayin.

Oh, I accept they are powerful, but seriously gamefreak?

Not to mention Litten.

You have to admit it's basically a domestic version of Litleo. In appearance and name

5 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

Oh, I accept they are powerful, but seriously gamefreak?

Not to mention Litten.

You have to admit it's basically a domestic version of Litleo. In appearance and name

Oh yes, compared to fantastic first generation pokemon such as Voltorb, Exeggcute, Magmar, Magnemite or Jynx.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally started avoiding spoilers a while back (which as I thought hasn't worked very well, but hey).

But I'M SO EXCITED AAAAH

Too bad we're getting it on the 23rd here :(

Anyway, I'm gonna avoid this thread, until I've gotten the game myself.