Trans Oceanic Knowledge Exchange

Kaymyth

45 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Oh, dude. That's terrible. I hope my country doesn't harm you...

Well, thankfully most Americans will be voting for Hillary, right? :)

3 hours ago, bleeder said:

Kaymyth, I do believe that we shall get along swell. ;)

I imagine so. I get along with most folks on the Shard. :)

2 hours ago, skaa said:

Well, thankfully most Americans will be voting for Hillary, right? :)

Dear gods, I hope so.

On a the discussion of distance duration, I now have a healthy new lease on this, travelling in Oz and all. I will no longer complain about something being a few hours away (unless I'm driving). English/London roads are hilarious after seeing Bangkok/Manila's discombobulational farce of a traffic  :ph34r: (despite the fact the system actually works in its own way) The M25 can go suck a cremling as I laugh hysterically/maniacally at a mere traffic jam.

In all serious though, Europe and the UK needs to adopt the grid system stat; Adelaide and Melbourne are so organised and easy to navigate I find it hard to believe that we never did before

11 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Hopefully. Many Americans don't like Hillary any better, but she's better than Trump, at least. 

8 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

Most Americans will be voting against Trump, yes.

Oh yeah, that's probably a better way to put it. It sucks when you have to vote between two unsavory choices, especially since it seems impossible for third party candidates to win in America.

The Philippines doesn't have a two-party system. No siree. This year, we had not two, but six BAD choices to choose from for President. We had two candidates known for incompetence, two with mental health issues (one of them is Duterte), one with a pending corruption case, and a dead guy. Yes, we had a dead guy on the ballot. He was a relatively unknown old dude who died months before the election, and they forgot to remove his name. Pathetic.

I simply didn't vote. I just couldn't be bothered to choose between those clowns. But yeah, I understand that your situation is very different. The United States Presidency is basically the most powerful position on Earth right now, so it's important that a madman doesn't take it no matter what. Go give that bellicose idiot the humiliating defeat he deserves, Stateside Sanderfans!

Edited by skaa

5 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

In all serious though, Europe and the UK needs to adopt the grid system stat;

And how do you suggest we do that? :P Demolish all the cities and rebuild them to have better layout? :P

7 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

In all serious though, Europe and the UK needs to adopt the grid system stat; Adelaide and Melbourne are so organised and easy to navigate I find it hard to believe that we never did before

This is a bit funny, I explain myself. The grit system in its origin was an idea made by the Ancient Romans. They exported where they conquered and after a while other popolations saw the comfort in that....But in Italy we don't build city following that system :lol:

Anyway actually as far as I know the grit system is awful for the modern era... It was designed where the vehicles was just a minority (and I talk about carts and other similar). Now with the modern lifestyle there are too vehicles to be used without problem and the city itself are too big to work well with it.

I know there are studies about new urban designs to try to fix our city to be not so stressful. But the Grit System is probably among the system we have to forget.

Another factor you have to consider is about the space and time (yeah it seems a joke) in Europe.

Space:In Europe, many countries have no big plots of land to build. We have some hard limitation about "where build" and how to don't waste space.

Time: Our town are usually old very old (as I said in a previous post), many are villages with a progressive grow became full city. Nobody thought 1000 years ago that an hamlet at 30 km from Rome will began bigger than the 1000-years-old-Rome... But it's happened.

Edited by Yata

1 hour ago, Yata said:

This is a bit funny, I explain myself. The grit system in its origin was an idea made by the Ancient Romans. They exported where they conquered and after a while other popolations saw the comfort in that....But in Italy we don't build city following that system :lol:

Anyway actually as far as I know the grit system is awful for the modern era... It was designed where the vehicles was just a minority (and I talk about carts and other similar). Now with the modern lifestyle there are too vehicles to be used without problem and the city itself are too big to work well with it.

I know there are studies about new urban designs to try to fix our city to be not so stressful. But the Grit System is probably among the system we have to forget.

Another factor you have to consider is about the space and time (yeah it seems a joke) in Europe.

Space:In Europe, many countries have no big plots of land to build. We have some hard limitation about "where build" and how to don't waste space.

Time: Our town are usually old very old (as I said in a previous post), many are villages with a progressive grow became full city. Nobody thought 1000 years ago that an hamlet at 30 km from Rome will began bigger than the 1000-years-old-Rome... But it's happened.

This is an interesting subject. I had it taught that it was an ancient greek guy named Hippodamus who first suggested the grid system and it was named the Hippodamian plan. :DBut it was never used to a great extent in Greece and Romans, being utilitarian, were the ones who made it famous, with their war camps that had roads running east to west and north to south.

But anyway, I wanted to add that in a lot of cases, especially in coastal cities, winding, narrow roads and such also served as a defence against invaders! And, as you said, circular plans can also be more useful in directing traffic, by making cocentral ring roads (or subway/metro lines) and diverting heavy traffic there and keeping the center more traffic-free.

Under the cut is a map of downtown Kansas City:

Downtown.JPG

As you can see, there's an initial attempt at a grid system that then just sort of spirals into a bit of a mess.  They're nice in theory, but sometimes they just don't work out right.  (And yes, the Kansas City Convention Center DOES sit on top of the interstate. The highway goes through a tunnel underneath it. That, by the way, is where I was during WorldCon a couple weeks ago; the green space to the upper right of it is a park that has a bunch of Pokestops.)

This is one of the neatest, most organized sections of KC, by the way.  Go further out, and things like hills, rivers, and creeks wreak all sorts of fun havoc on the city's layout.  I-35 sort of meanders in a southwest diagonal from downtown, heading straight into the suburb where I live about 30 minutes from this section of map.  Some major roads stop in strange places, only to pick up a couple of blocks further down and continue on like nothing ever happened.

Here's a picture of the greater Kansas City metropolitan area:

Greater KC.JPG

The previous map is a zoomed-in inset of the little rectangle behind the "sas" of "Kansas City".  Our metro sprawls.

The state line wasn't obvious, so I traced it (badly) in blue to make it clearer.  Anything to the right of it is Missouri; to the left is Kansas.  The smaller creeks really aren't obvious, nor are other geographical features, but you can see how there's still a nod to a grid pattern that falls apart all over the place.  What this map really can't show you, either, is just how much green space we have interspersed throughout the city.  It's not uncommon to find deer grazing in your backyard anywhere but in the core downtown area, because you're never really that far from an area of timber.  There's a major creek and hike/bike trail system about a quarter mile walk from our house.

ETA:  ...once again, spoiler tagging did weird things when I attached images.  I have no idea what happened there.  Ah, well, there's a lot of text underneath that cut, too.

Edited by Kaymyth

I just like the openness and order of it; comparing it back home to London just makes me realise how clustered, claustrophobic and ugly it is (which makes sense when we've a large population for such a small group of isles. I'm not saying that it should abide by strict measurements and such; just to be a little tidier, neater and less grubbier, maybe introduce a little more greenery here and there (I think Adelaide has worn off on me :o)

1 hour ago, AnanasSpren said:

I just like the openness and order of it; comparing it back home to London just makes me realise how clustered, claustrophobic and ugly it is (which makes sense when we've a large population for such a small group of isles. I'm not saying that it should abide by strict measurements and such; just to be a little tidier, neater and less grubbier, maybe introduce a little more greenery here and there (I think Adelaide has worn off on me :o)

Do you live in Australia now? Or are you sightseeing?

6 hours ago, bleeder said:

Me, being that one guy from Tennessee, like "I wish I lived in exotic places"

Just remember, there are people out there who think that Tennessee and Kansas City count as "exotic places".

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Weird question for Europeans, especially those in the UK: Do you guys eat raw cookie dough, or is that more of an American thing? 

Not in the UK but over here we may eat some of the dough that's left over, depending on what kind of dough, but we wouldn't see it as an actual food.

On 8/16/2016 at 10:00 AM, AliasSheep said:

I don't know a lot about alcohol, coffee, tea or hot chocolate

but, man, can I tell you about mixing soda water and squash to create less sugary imitations of popular fizzy drinks

I remember when I went to England a couple years ago, one of my favorite things was the squash. As far as I'm aware, squash just doesn't exist in the US. (So as not to confuse any who haven't had squash, it is a concentrated drink that you dilute with water.)

Is it exclusively in the UK? Europe? Everywhere that isn't America?

On 30/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Weird question for Europeans, especially those in the UK: Do you guys eat raw cookie dough, or is that more of an American thing? 

I would...if I actually had the motivation to back cookies...brownies are my forté

On 2016-10-30 at 3:41 PM, RippleGylf said:

I remember when I went to England a couple years ago, one of my favorite things was the squash. As far as I'm aware, squash just doesn't exist in the US. (So as not to confuse any who haven't had squash, it is a concentrated drink that you dilute with water.)

Is it exclusively in the UK? Europe? Everywhere that isn't America?

It's common in Sweden too. If I recall correctly the Wikipedia article on the subject is pretty good.