Invested Items/Beings and Shardblades

MoS03

Question

Shardblades don't pass through each other or Plate. Barring possible Ascension, is it possible for a being to become Invested to the point that a Shardblade wouldn't pass through them?

I assume so, but how much would it take? An entire Highstorm worth? More? What would that much do to a person's spiritweb?

12 answers to this question

Also moderate invested object would stop a Shardblade.
I asked to Mister Sanderson if a Metalmind would stop a Shardblade and He said yes. (then my trip to a Tin Ferring fighting a Shardbearer with his SmellMind-Sword XD)

Interesting, never heard of that a Metalmind would stop a Shardblade.
About a normal person (like Szeth, and that's just how think it might be):

I'm not sure if he really got killed by the fact that it's a Shardblade. Probably it could be stopped from cutting his "Soul", but in the end, it's still a physical sword, and he didn't wear any armor. Plus, a Shardplate can block a Shardblade, but it gets damaged from the physical impact as well. So, when I think about it like that: an invested object (and maybe person) can only stop a Shardblade from cutting on other realms, and makes it so a normal sword. If you then get hit, like Szeth, you still have a problem.

At the very least, we know it would take at most a thousand breaths in an awakened object. I'm assuming this because that's how many Nightblood has and it has been described as a shardblade far stronger than normal shardblades which probably means that it can block them.

With regards to a person being resistant, probably about that amount. If you could create a Type IV construct out of a body, then it might be resistant to shardblade attacks. Other than that, we can't really say, though probably a lot, since Szeth in a highstorm couldn't stop Kaladin from cutting him. As to whether it would damage a person's spiritweb, it would depend. If the invested energy is coming from a large external pool like allomancy, then yes, the continual flow would likely damage the spiritweb. If it' sandy internal storage investiture like surgebinding, then no.

Honestly though, overall, I don't think it's possible barring ascension. For a living creature to block a regular shardplate, it would need a greatly increased soul, which I don't think investiture generally augments. For a living creature to block Nightblood.... It would need to be strong enough to defend itself on all three realms.

13 hours ago, Yata said:

Also moderate invested object would stop a Shardblade.
I asked to Mister Sanderson if a Metalmind would stop a Shardblade and He said yes. (then my trip to a Tin Ferring fighting a Shardbearer with his SmellMind-Sword XD)

Could you provide a source? The only WoB about metalminds vs Shardblade I recall was that it would resist a little.

BTW, Survivor's Spearhead is nowhere as Invested as regular Shardblade, so there is that.

15 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Could you provide a source? The only WoB about metalminds vs Shardblade I recall was that it would resist a little.

BTW, Survivor's Spearhead is nowhere as Invested as regular Shardblade, so there is that.

of course, here the link

Q: Could a filled (fully feruchemical charge) metalmind block a Shardblade (or at least, resist a bit)?

A: Yes, it could. Excellent question.

About the BoM you have right. Shardblades are more invested than the BoM but also the Shardplade are probably less Invested than Shardblade and Half-Shard too. But those items are capable of stopping a Shardblade.

Another thing to considerate is that a replice of the Spearhead made only of a single metal (to keep the previous example Tin) full of Feruchemical tin would be as Invested as the BoM. It wil not be a godlike weapon but for the Investiture-density point of view they are the same thing

19 minutes ago, Yata said:

of course, here the link

About the BoM you have right. Shardblades are more invested than the BoM but also the Shardplade are probably less Invested than Shardblade and Half-Shard too. But those items are capable of stopping a Shardblade.

Another thing to considerate is that a replice of the Spearhead made only of a single metal (to keep the previous example Tin) full of Feruchemical tin would be as Invested as the BoM. It wil not be a godlike weapon but for the Investiture-density point of view they are the same thing

Point that Sanderson didn't clarify whether the metalmind would just resist or actually fully stop it from cutting through. 

14 minutes ago, Yata said:

Q: Could a filled (fully feruchemical charge) metalmind block a Shardblade (or at least, resist a bit)?

A: Yes, it could. Excellent question.

That only implies that a fully filled metalmind could resist a Shardblade a little. It is not conclusive whether it could block it -_-

3 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

This begs the question of whether or not Shardblades can harm the Unmade....

According to Taravangian, who may or may not be correct, the Unmade are spren, or very similar to them. As such, spren shardblades can probably interact with them to the same degree that they interact with spren, and we haven't had any indication that they can. However, I imagine that they cannot since spren shardblades mainly interact on the spiritual and physical realms, with the exception of Nightblood which annihilates on all three and could certainly destroy an Unmade.

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

According to Taravangian, who may or may not be correct, the Unmade are spren, or very similar to them. As such, spren shardblades can probably interact with them to the same degree that they interact with spren, and we haven't had any indication that they can. However, I imagine that they cannot since spren shardblades mainly interact on the spiritual and physical realms, with the exception of Nightblood which annihilates on all three and could certainly destroy an Unmade.

Hmmm so I'm guessing the Heralds cannot be harmed either. Though we know so little about them so that's not a solid guess.

we saw (or at least heard) that Herald may be killed by mundane claws therefore physical wound. I don't think they have a real ward aganist Shardblades and Spiritual wounds.

Maybe they may be a little more resistant to the cut, but I don't think more than a regular human aganist a regular sword.