Chromium Feruchemy?

soyperson

Question

I've always loved the idea of being able to influence luck. So I guess that's why I love chromium Feruchemy so much. 

But I can never figure out if it's altering luck (chance, gambling, the roulette wheel's spin, et c.), or fortune (an enemy's gun jamming, runaway bandits tripping over rocks, et c.).

Input?

1 minute ago, Drake Marshall said:

Alright then. Despite some misunderstanding I see we agree on how this works.

I feel like Sanderson would give more thought into the rules governing luck though. Rowling wrote a good story, but her magic was more... Well, more magical. It wasn't as well defined as the sorts of things Sanderson tends to deal with.

Definitely. Rowling's magic was the more generic type which fulfills plot devices. Sanderson will completely flesh out how luck will work and have it follow defined rules.

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

That gave me an idea.  What if Chromium Feruchemy allows you to connect (when tapping) or detach (when storing) Spiritual Connections to your own future events?  Time is mostly irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm, and while the future isn't set in stone, we already know that it can be partially seen and predicted through the Spiritual Realm, via both Atium's ability and the scenes showing how the Shards do just that.  By making or severing those Connections only in the Spiritual Realm, you wouldn't Cognitively understand the results, at least immediately, but it would guide you to the best of the possible futures determined by those Connections.  Sort of like if Atium just guided you to the best move instead of showing you the shadows.

That's a little bit like how I pictured it. But I feel like there might be some additional limitations to its use on top of this underlying system. Because, if there isn't some extra catch... A chromium compounder might be more powerful than many of the shards that are bad at future sight.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

That's a little bit like how I pictured it. But I feel like there might be some additional limitations to its use on top of this underlying system. Because, if there isn't some extra catch... A chromium compounder might be more powerful than many of the shards that are bad at future sight.

Well, the inherent limits are that it only works with Connection to your future, and that you don't get knowledge of that future, just a sort of guidance to the best future for you (in whatever timeframe, most likely only moments ahead).

21 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Definitely. Rowling's magic was the more generic type which fulfills plot devices. Sanderson will completely flesh out how luck will work and have it follow defined rules.

Exactly. Rowling's magic was whatever was needed, with the only rule being that Harry Potter is the strongest, or something like that. Or that the power of love has random unexplained all-powerful abilities.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I've always thought compounding luck would be like being Mat over from WoT

On 8/30/2016 at 4:44 PM, bleeder said:

I've always loved the idea of being able to influence luck. So I guess that's why I love chromium Feruchemy so much. 

But I can never figure out if it's altering luck (chance, gambling, the roulette wheel's spin, et c.), or fortune (an enemy's gun jamming, runaway bandits tripping over rocks, et c.).

Input?

I believe the answer can be found by looking at the other Feruchemical powers; they all require you to give something up, in order to use extra later. Therefore, I believe in order to store Luck, you must be unlucky for a time...which would imply Fortune. Let me explain - if it was alternating luck, then you could just sit in a room, Store Luck, and then proceed to flip a coin and always get the wrong call (ie. you want heads, so it's always going to be tails). This does not meld with the others - they require constant, unconscious usage (Storing Breath causes you to hyperventilate, Warmth for you to be cold, etc.) whereas with alternating luck, it can only be Stored when you do something. If it's the second type, however, the is always a way for the Cosmere to affect you (even if you lock yourself in a room, you can still not feel well, need to go to the bathroom etc. [Alternatively, you may find that while you were Storing Luck, your dog ran away or a loved one died....something along those lines.]) It all probably depends on how much you Stored in each sitting. 

52 minutes ago, Steelheart said:

I believe the answer can be found by looking at the other Feruchemical powers; they all require you to give something up, in order to use extra later. Therefore, I believe in order to store Luck, you must be unlucky for a time...which would imply Fortune. Let me explain - if it was alternating luck, then you could just sit in a room, Store Luck, and then proceed to flip a coin and always get the wrong call (ie. you want heads, so it's always going to be tails). This does not meld with the others - they require constant, unconscious usage (Storing Breath causes you to hyperventilate, Warmth for you to be cold, etc.) whereas with alternating luck, it can only be Stored when you do something. If it's the second type, however, the is always a way for the Cosmere to affect you (even if you lock yourself in a room, you can still not feel well, need to go to the bathroom etc. [Alternatively, you may find that while you were Storing Luck, your dog ran away or a loved one died....something along those lines.]) It all probably depends on how much you Stored in each sitting. 

I suspect that if one tried to store luck too quickly, they might not live long enough to ever start tapping their luck.

Then again, the same can be said for something like health. You can probably kill yourself by storing too much health at once in a goldmind.

7 hours ago, Steelheart said:

But for that second one... if a Spinner Ferring sat in a room made entirely of aluminum, would his Luck/Unluck still affect the world outside?

5 hours ago, bleeder said:

But for that second one... if a Spinner Ferring sat in a room made entirely of aluminum, would his Luck/Unluck still affect the world outside?

Feruchemy tends to be very internal, no? It doesn't seem to afford any of the external powers that allomancy might display, like steel, iron, bronze, or copper...

I suspect that aluminum wouldn't be able to block its effects. Most likely, the feruchemy is changing something about only the user, some attribute in the spiritual realm... Its not directly influencing the outside world in any way.

Mind you, it can still indirectly influence the outside world. I think this one is a lot like duraluminum feruchemy. Duraluminum feruchemy alters an individual's spiritual connection. It only alters the user's spiritual connection, but this can have effects on other people if the user makes themselves spiritually connected to them. I would also like to predict that duraluminum feruchemy is also impossible to negate with aluminum. Or a coppercloud, for that matter.