Yalb and Wayne

Sand Master

So I'm going to be the first one to punch a hole in my theory, before I even say what that theory is. According to the timeline, the events of the first five Stormlight books happen slightly before Alloy of Law.

However, I am seeing too many similarities to simply discount this. Here's what I am thinking: Similarly to Demoux, could Wayne not be a Worldhopper? I was re-reading WoK, and many of the things Yalb says seem just like something Wayne would say:

"Wouldn't be right for a proper woman not to scold a fellow for gambling. It'd be like the sun refusing to rise or the sea turning white."

"Anyway, conning men like [the bookstore owner] is almost as much fun as cheating guards."

And while inside the bookstore, Shallan thinks to herself:

Stormfather! He's quite the actor.

I think it would also not be unreasonable to assume that Yalb is still alive after Shallan sunk the boat in WoR, because we never directly saw him die, and she later sketched a drawing of him and another figure on a beach, which is something she hadn't seen before. I feel like this would not have been in the book if it were unimportant and Yalb would never make another appearance.

Of course, Yalb has Thaylen eyebrows and a Thaylen accent, but we all know that Wayne is a master of disguising both his looks and his voice.

Now, the holes. As I said in the beginning of this post, the timeline says that the first five SA books come before the Alloy of Law. This does seem to indicate that Wayne couldn't have been on Roshar, or that if he had been it would have been mentioned during the second-era Mistborn books. However, we don't have a lot of concrete information on exactly what life was like for Wax/Wayne before AoL (some backstory, some anecdotes, but not nearly as detailed as the current time in the second-era Mistborn books), so maybe when he wasn't lawkeeping with Wax, he was off Worldhopping? As for it not being mentioned, it is possible (though admittedly unlikely) that he simply never mentioned it to Wax, and never thought about it during his viewpoints in the books because it wasn't relevant at the time.

I admit, the timeline makes this flimsy at best. However, the similarities between Yalb and Wayne were way too striking not to say something about it. What do you guys think?

Edited by Sand Master
adding information

5 minutes ago, Yata said:

But we saw Wayne as a kid when he met Wax for the first time. Therefore is impossible for him to be older before (as Yalb)

When I said "when he wasn't lawkeeping with Wax" I didn't mean before he met Wax. I meant between cases that they worked on.

42 minutes ago, Sand Master said:

When I said "when he wasn't lawkeeping with Wax" I didn't mean before he met Wax. I meant between cases that they worked on.

Worldhopping requires weeks-months only for the travel in the Cognitive (without all the other problem about find a perpendicularity and reach it)  you can't vanish for a couple of days for an of world adventures and then return.

Edited by Yata

Wayne has too much of an established youth in scadrial to not be born there. And yalb comes a bit before wayne on scadrial. So, let's use occam's razor: we have proof that the cosmere admits time travel :D

On a more serious note, branon likes witty, fast-talking characters, so not much of a surprise that there re similar characters in different series. You may notice a lot in common between shallan and sarene, either.

1 hour ago, Eki said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Wayne ends up worldhopping after The Lost Metal, though. I bet the 17th Shard would love a bloodmaker on their side.

Just Wayne himself would be the perfect worldhopper.  Better than a kandra, even. Sure, it might be hard to keep him on task but if you give him a passion project then it might solve that.

Also, I'm not really sure how much the Shard cares about certain powers. They seem to be able to grant at least long lives to worldhoppers. Other abilities may be possible.

35 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

Just Wayne himself would be the perfect worldhopper.  Better than a kandra, even. Sure, it might be hard to keep him on task but if you give him a passion project then it might solve that.

Also, I'm not really sure how much the Shard cares about certain powers. They seem to be able to grant at least long lives to worldhoppers. Other abilities may be possible.

OR...Wayne becomes a kandra Worldhopper.  Isn't there a MeLaan quote where she says Wayne is basically wasted as a human?  That quote plus budding romance=Wayne becomes a Worldhopper kandra.

Crazier things have happened...I think.

EDIT: Plus you know, Wayne mimics people, kandra mimic people...

Edited by What's a Seawolf?
Additional Information

10 hours ago, Yata said:

Worldhopping requires weeks-months only for the travel in the Cognitive (without all the other problem about find a perpendicularity and reach it)  you can't vanish for a couple of days for an of world adventures and then return.

Ah, I did not know that.

1 minute ago, Sand Master said:

Ah, I did not know that.

No problem man :D

Just to explain better, when someone wordhops (at least the only method we know so far), he shifts in the Cognitive Realm (CR). Once there he have to actually go where he want to arrive and then re shift in the Physical realm in a new planet (like if the planet in the CR are actually fuse together in some points)

This because the distances in the Cognitive Realm are different. The place without a Cognitive presence simply don't exist there...this mean that the void between planet is no more. You may actually walk from Scadrial's CR to Roshar's CR but it took time.

There are other problems about moving in the Cognitive but at the moment are meaningless to this topic. But just to say, in the book we have a single direct report of a travel in the Cognitive. This character spent weeks to arrive at his target and his target was still in the same planet (this specific character was also peculiar enough to avoid some issues of a travel in the CR)

13 minutes ago, Yata said:

No problem man :D

Just to explain better, when someone wordhops (at least the only method we know so far), he shifts in the Cognitive Realm (CR). Once there he have to actually go where he want to arrive and then re shift in the Physical realm in a new planet (like if the planet in the CR are actually fuse together in some points)

This because the distances in the Cognitive Realm are different. The place without a Cognitive presence simply don't exist there...this mean that the void between planet is no more. You may actually walk from Scadrial's CR to Roshar's CR but it took time.

There are other problems about moving in the Cognitive but at the moment are meaningless to this topic. But just to say, in the book we have a single direct report of a travel in the Cognitive. This character spent weeks to arrive at his target and his target was still in the same planet (this specific character was also peculiar enough to avoid some issues of a travel in the CR)

I've read Secret History, and I knew that you still had to travel in the CR to go between planets. But I had thought (obviously incorrectly, but we still don't have a lot of direct information on CR travel so I figured it might be possible) that because everything in the CR has to do with how things view themselves (Kelsier was hurt by Hoid mostly because he thought he would be hurt), a person could travel in the CR without physically walking. Much like in the Wheel of Time, how while in Tel'aran'rhiod one could envision themselves in a place and just be there, I thought someone in the CR could probably do something similar.

58 minutes ago, Sand Master said:

I've read Secret History, and I knew that you still had to travel in the CR to go between planets. But I had thought (obviously incorrectly, but we still don't have a lot of direct information on CR travel so I figured it might be possible) that because everything in the CR has to do with how things view themselves (Kelsier was hurt by Hoid mostly because he thought he would be hurt), a person could travel in the CR without physically walking. Much like in the Wheel of Time, how while in Tel'aran'rhiod one could envision themselves in a place and just be there, I thought someone in the CR could probably do something similar.

The CR isn't as malleable as Tel'aran'rhiod... You has probably a great control over your own Cognitive Aspect but the rest is quite out of your control, because you have to overcome other things' identity to change them.

Probably there are ways to trasport matter from a point A to a point B but they are specific powers as for example the Trasportation Surge (if the Oathgate work with that Surge)

• Chaos locked this topic