Languages in the Cosmere

Blainejstephenson

I was reading Way of kings and Warbreaker at the same time and I noticed that the glyph 'Shash' is used in both. I thought it was odd that they had different meanings, and it made me wonder if the languages had been shared at one point in time, then separated. It could also be a coincidence, but I doubt that. Thoughts?

There is a WoB on this:

Interview: Sep, 2012

llwvyn

My question is in regards to the writing system. In Warbreaker, when Siri is teaching Susebron to read, she mentions the letter "shash," which we now know better as a Glyphair from WoK.

so onto the questions:

Are the two writing systems related, or is this a chance coincidence of names? If they are related, did they stem from the same source? (i.e., do the people of Nalthis and Roshar both descend from a more ancient group of people?) If I haven't gotten a RAFO yet, did the separation from these other people create the legends of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls?

Brandon Sanderson

There are interesting connections around the cosmere between linguistics and some cultures. Though different groups of humans were created on different planets, the Shards all share a single point of origin. However, the Tranquiline Halls legends are not related to a Nalthis/Roshar connection.

By the way, you accidentally made two threads. Not sure if it's possible to delete your own threads, but still.

33 minutes ago, Figberts said:

Could this have anything to do with Hoid's ability to understand all languages? It they are all based off the same  patterns, that could be much easier magically.

You know, that's a good point. Though he has been around since before the shattering, so that might have something to do with it. Well, thanks guys! And, I'll see if I can delete that thread. Oops!

3 hours ago, Figberts said:

Could this have anything to do with Hoid's ability to understand all languages? It they are all based off the same  patterns, that could be much easier magically.

I doubt it. He's using Connection magic to do it, and I don't think similarity between languages would help with that. Location is the important thing, as far as we know. Maybe it would make it easier to avoid accidentally saying a few things that don't translate (which we recently had confirmation that Hoid sometimes does, despite his experience). but I doubt it would be a major deal.

• 2 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic