So we know that, at the end of WoR, Kaladin grabbed Szeth's Honorblade. We also know that, according to Syl, Honorblades require  "a dangerous amount" of Stormlight.

My question is, if Kaladin were to wield an Honorblade would it do anything to him? 

So first off imagine if he wielded Szeth's:
     1) The Honorblade would actually drive away Syl, weakening his powers, and forcing him to use more stormlight.
     2) The Honorblade would compound his abilities, similar to compounding in Mistborn perhaps, and making him impossibly powerful.
     3) The Honorblade does nothing.
     4) The Honorblade simply requires him to use more Stormlight.
     5) The Honorblade refuses to bond with him

Or what if he wielded one of the other 9 blades:
     1) He now has access to four surges, two requiring normal amounts Stormlight, and two requiring  "a dangerous amount" of Stormlight.
     2) He now has access to four surges, all four requiring 
"a dangerous amount" of Stormlight.
     3) He now has access to four surges, all four requiring normal amounts of Stormlight
     4) Syl is driven away, he has access to two surges.
     5) The Honorblade refuses to bond with him.
     6) His basic surges are weakened, but he can still use four
     7) He becomes a cat.

I think that for Szeth's the first one is the most likely, maybe five.
For the second one maybe four, or five, probably seven though.

What are your thoughts, ideas, and everything else, please let me know.

Edited by Sasooner

This WoB sums up the general mechanics fairly well.

QUESTION

If a non Windrunner picked up Jezrien's honorblade would they gain Windrunner powers as well?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

If a Windrunner picked up that blade, would their abilities be enhanced?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There would be some compounding but strength is not as much an issue with surgebinding as is the strength of the spren bond and how much Stormlight you are using.

Don't forget though that two of the other nine blades would give him a surgebinding ability he already possesses, so only seven would give him a third and fourth surgebinding ability. Also, honorblades cannot "refuse" anything. I'm fairly sure they are non-sapient, and even non-sentient.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

This WoB sums up the general mechanics fairly well.

Don't forget though that two of the other nine blades would give him a surgebinding ability he already possesses, so only seven would give him a third and fourth surgebinding ability. Also, honorblades cannot "refuse" anything. I'm fairly sure they are non-sapient, and even non-sentient.

Thanks for the WoB there, that's useful.

Refuse wasn't really the right word, I just couldnt come up with something better, I was imagining something like his bind with  Syl causing something to happen that made it so that the Honorblade wouldn't bond. 

As far as the 9 other blades, I just generalized them, I was pressed for time so I left them out, and assumed one with one of his powers would function much like the first set for the one power, and the second set for the other.

But again, thank you, that was an amazing answer.

Here's a WoB to clear up some of the other points

Macen

If someone is using an Honorblade, would they be able to bond a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

It is indeed possible. It does not block it. Good question. You do not have to bond Honorblades. Honorblades work with whoever holds them.

Cancels out 3 and 5 on the first one, 4 and 5 for the second one

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

Here's a WoB to clear up some of the other points

Cancels out 3 and 5 on the first one, 4 and 5 for the second one

In the end..if I manage to grab an Honorblade in a fight...would It give me Surgebinder's power while we keep contact ? (It would be an interesting information to ask)

9 minutes ago, Yata said:

In the end..if I manage to grab an Honorblade in a fight...would It give me Surgebinder's power while we keep contact ? (It would be an interesting information to ask)

Brandon has said.. interesting things on the subject of bonding the things. Case in point, compare the prior WoB with this one

You mentioned that human can’t bond Honorblades, but Nalan tells Szeth that his bond with his Honorblade has been broken. Can you clear this up?

Brandon Sanderson

Humans CAN bond Honorblades. There's a crucial difference between Honorblades and Shardblades. When you drop an Honorblade, it does not disappear, even if it has been bonded. A Shardblade will disappear when dropped.

There are things that change, if only slightly. Given that he said this one only 6 days later, what do you interpret from it/them? Because I feel like I missed something important

Edited by The One Who Connects
Forgot Link

5 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Brandon has said.. interesting things on the subject of bonding the things. Case in point, compare the prior WoB with this one

There are things that change, if only slightly. Given that he said this one only 6 days later, what do you interpret from it/them? Because I feel like I missed something important

To me it means "only" that a Honorblade's bond is weaker than a RK's one. A Sprenblade is more linked to his owner than an Honorblade (this may be untrue in the case of Herald-Honorblade). We know also that more a RK progress in his Oaths, more his Bond become stronger and more efficient He become to use Stormligt.

Honorblade's stormlight use is worse than a RK in the middle of his progression (3 Oaths on 5), this is another clue about the Strenght of Honorblades' bond (I repeat myself, I don't know if this would change with the Heralds)

Well, there's a difference between being able to bond an Honorblade, and having to do so in order to use its power. So I don't see a contradiction there, really.

The way I read those quotes, anyone who touches an Honorblade can use it, but it's also possible to bond it.

• Chaos locked this topic