Ym

Smitty24

(SPOILERS for WoR)

I just wanted to through this out there out of curiosity:

Of all the deaths in the first two Stormlight books, was I the only one who was the most broken up over Ym's death? He was only featured in one Interlude, yet for some reason I felt a deeper connection to him than some of the other characters, and so when he died, I was actually pretty sad. Am I the only one?

'Experience Ended'

Could there be something to his religion? The idea about one becoming many seems very much like the shattering of Adonalsium. This is a bit of a stretch, but since some of the original shardholders seemed to be very good people, there was clearly a reason for his shattering beyond power seeking. So, was this because the universe was stagnating with Adonalsium? Similar idea to Ym's religion.

20 hours ago, Figberts said:

Could there be something to his religion? The idea about one becoming many seems very much like the shattering of Adonalsium. This is a bit of a stretch, but since some of the original shardholders seemed to be very good people, there was clearly a reason for his shattering beyond power seeking. So, was this because the universe was stagnating with Adonalsium? Similar idea to Ym's religion.

I thought the same thing. Especially since he mentions the God Beyond, which seems like it could easily refer to Adonalsium. I've often wondered how close he was to what actually happened.

Honestly, I liked him, but wasn't too broken up over his death. I was much more intrigued by the question of who was this mysterious lawman, that seems to give no chances for repentance. Nevertheless, the fact that there are some people who feel this way is a huge point in Brandon's favor. Making readers care about a side character in just one chapter... I could only hope to be there someday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2016 at 4:38 AM, Tariniel said:

"Honestly, I liked him, but wasn't too broken up over his death. I was much more intrigued by the question of who was this mysterious lawman, that seems to give no chances for repentance."

Wasn't this lawman Nale? He's a Skybreaker after all and their second ideal is 'I will put the law before all else.'

"Justice does not expire"

1 minute ago, Smitty24 said:

Wasn't this lawman Nale? He's a Skybreaker after all and their second ideal is 'I will put the law before all else.'

"Justice does not expire"

Yeah, it's known to be Nale now. At the time of the death, it wasn't, which is why he had the reaction.

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic