Origin/Nature of spren. Spoiler?

I'm sure this has been brought up before but when I did a search, I did not find an exact answer so sorry in advance for what is most likely an annoying re-post.  Also, since this is my first post, I am not sure if this needs to be listed as a possible spoiler but I did not want to ruin (because i'm not Ati) it for anyone.

Spoiler

I am currently re-reading WoR and it hit me that that Honor (and Cultivation) must have created at least some of the spren before Honor was splintered.  I guess my question is if when Honors was splintered, did more spren came from his power?  If so, could this explain why some spren are mindless (windspren,rainspren)?  It seems possible that the spren Honor and Cultivation specifically created would be able to think and learn but that the spren that came from Honor's splintered power might be mindless because they are a manifestation of splintered power like the Dor and Breath (both of which are not sentient (right?)).

What are your thoughts on this?

First of all, welcome!

Second of all, WoR stuff doesn't need to be in spoiler tags now, since it's been so long since the book came out. There is some topic somewhere with rules about spoilers.

There were spren around before Honor died, yeah. There were even some around before the two shards even arrived on the planet.

Pattern mentions at some point that there were much fewer sentient spren at the time of the Recreance (which is before Honor died), which implies that Honor's splintering created many spren with minds. But I don't know for sure which kinds of spren existed in which quantities before or after his splintering. I'm pretty sure there were mindless spren before then too, but how many, I don't know. In either case, it does seem like Honor splintering created sentient spren. Your theory could still be correct if you say that Cultivation made them sentient by herself, since she was (and is) still alive.

Also, only Divine Breaths are splinters, normal ones aren't. And we don't really know how sentient Divine Breaths are, if at all.

It could be that all spren with a specific purpose and little intelligence (rotspren, alespren) were always there, but after the Recreance the intelligent spren were there. Since they have no specific purpose I don't know why Honor would have made them.

1 hour ago, Figberts said:

It could be that all spren with a specific purpose and little intelligence (rotspren, alespren) were always there, but after the Recreance the intelligent spren were there. Since they have no specific purpose I don't know why Honor would have made them.

Radiant Spren had to be around before the Recreance, though (since those are the ones bonded to the Radiants who betrayed their oaths in the Recreance) and they're intelligent spren.  The number of intelligent spren has been stated or at least speculated to have increased after Honor was splintered (which is separate from the Recreance, though conceivably related in some way), but there were intelligent spren before that without a doubt.

jW

On 10/5/2016 at 11:05 AM, Jondesu said:

Radiant Spren had to be around before the Recreance, though (since those are the ones bonded to the Radiants who betrayed their oaths in the Recreance) and they're intelligent spren.  The number of intelligent spren has been stated or at least speculated to have increased after Honor was splintered (which is separate from the Recreance, though conceivably related in some way), but there were intelligent spren before that without a doubt.

jW

Yeah, they definitely existed. Syl has vague memories of being bonded before the Recreance, and the Stormfather was around then too.  The source for fewer intelligent spren at the time of the Recreance is Pattern's comment that "Spren with minds were less plentiful then, and the majorities of several spren peoples were all bonded. There were very few survivors."

• Chaos locked this topic