Mistborn Era 3/Era 4 Tech: How the Metallic Arts Might Influence Scientific Development

Quadrophenia

28 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. Wayne was able to tap an unkeyed goldmind with no issues.

...I am pretty sure than no one has thought of this, but something like a Steel/Iron medallion harness thing would be pretty useful for amputees or cripples. They could just pull and push themselves around, and pull objects towards them.

Fair point, that. 

And an even better point! Although, I'm wondering how they'd regulate speed. You wouldn't want an elderly cripple to fling himself at breakneck speeds just to reach the tea. 

On 10/10/2016 at 11:41 AM, Quadrophenia said:

Fair point, that. 

And an even better point! Although, I'm wondering how they'd regulate speed. You wouldn't want an elderly cripple to fling himself at breakneck speeds just to reach the tea. 

...oh. Well, a bit of training in a padded suit could help with speed regulation.

I was thinking. Feruchemical Bronze would be very useful for when you need to get something done late at night. Small Bronzemind medallions as some kind of "energy booster",  kinda like energy drinks? That'd be extremely useful when dealing with sleep deprivation.

Just now, Shadeshadow227 said:

...oh. Well, a bit of training in a padded suit could help with speed regulation.

I was thinking. Feruchemical Bronze would be very useful for when you need to get something done late at night. Small Bronzemind medallions as some kind of "energy booster",  kinda like energy drinks? That'd be extremely useful when dealing with sleep deprivation.

See, I love that sort of thing. Just imagining how a unique fantasy system might influence even the most mundane and innocuous elements of our daily lives we take for granted. It helps remind us how truly creative and inventive they had to be in the first place. 

Just now, Quadrophenia said:

See, I love that sort of thing. Just imagining how a unique fantasy system might influence even the most mundane and innocuous elements of our daily lives we take for granted. It helps remind us how truly creative and inventive they had to be in the first place. 

I know. This is truly amazing, isn't it? Things like this are what keep me on this site in the first place. People theorizing, taking these fantasy worlds and asking questions about the smallest things. Amazing.

8 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

I know. This is truly amazing, isn't it? Things like this are what keep me on this site in the first place. People theorizing, taking these fantasy worlds and asking questions about the smallest things. Amazing.

Plus, of all the suggestions for radical ways the Metallic Arts could influence tech and science-

Suggesting something as an innocuous replacement for energy drinks is kind of a stroke of genius. It's low-key, it isn't as flashy as giant robots or non-gas-reliant jetpacks, but it's still ingenious. 

18 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

How about Electrum Medallions of Determination to help people work or students make it through exams, coupled with Bronze Medallions for Wakefulness?

Huh. It occurs to me-

... Would coppermind medallions count as cheating on school tests? Or exams of any kind?

7 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Huh. It occurs to me-

... Would coppermind medallions count as cheating on school tests? Or exams of any kind?

Probably. Either that, or Archivers (that's the name, right?) are graded separately.

1 hour ago, Eki said:

Probably. Either that, or Archivers (that's the name, right?) are graded separately.

1 hour ago, Quadrophenia said:

Huh. It occurs to me-

Most definitely, unless the test is on analysis versus information retention. For tests which aren't analysis, they would need a coinshot or lurcher to examine the students to make sure they don't have metalminds, though they would probably need duraluminum medallions or nicrobursts to check for internal metalminds. Getting a duraluminum medallion would be pretty hard though so nicrobursts would probably be the best way.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

19 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Most definitely, unless the test is on analysis versus information retention. For tests which aren't analysis, they would need a coinshot or lurcher to examine the students to make sure they don't have metalminds, though they would probably need duraluminum or nicrobursts to check for internal metalminds.

God, there should be a mini-Mistborn novella entirely devoted what sort of crazy school system a Metallic Arts-influenced college would have. 

34 minutes ago, nTronz said:

Space travel seems a lot easier with the... New machines we found in the last novel. Long distance space travel also makes Pulsers VERY useful. Makes one wonder if this is how a hopper in the cosmere would prevent aging when hopping.

And suddenly, it seems more than possible that worldhopping will no longer be relegated to secretive thousand-year-old organizations with multidimensional-expanding agendas (or merely the one thousand-year-old man with a multidimensional-expanding agenda). Imagine a Star Trek-y universe, complete with a Federation, that links all the major Cosmere worlds together so that any man, woman or child could visit these worlds and learn and experience the wonders on each planet we the audience have grown to love. 

6 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Plus, of all the suggestions for radical ways the Metallic Arts could influence tech and science-

Suggesting something as an innocuous replacement for energy drinks is kind of a stroke of genius. It's low-key, it isn't as flashy as giant robots or non-gas-reliant jetpacks, but it's still ingenious. 

Hmm...well, I hate the taste of coffee, and energy drinks don't seem to affect me much...I thought bronzeminds would be better. It's not that ingenious. Just something I'd prefer to the alternatives.

4 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

God, there should be a mini-Mistborn novella entirely devoted what sort of crazy school system a Metallic Arts-influenced college would have. 

YES. BRANDON, GET ON THIS!

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Most definitely, unless the test is on analysis versus information retention. For tests which aren't analysis, they would need a coinshot or lurcher to examine the students to make sure they don't have metalminds, though they would probably need duraluminum medallions or nicrobursts to check for internal metalminds. Getting a duraluminum medallion would be pretty hard though so nicrobursts would probably be the best way.

...Duralumin? Why would that be used? Unless they were somehow tapping a metalmind inside of someone with one of these medallions, it'd be useless in checking for internal metalminds.

...hmm...now that we're on the topic of school...any kind of sports club would have to check for the physical metals (both Allomantic and Feruchemical) because they would provide an advantage in most events. Steelminds or allomantic pewter for track; ironminds for gymnastics; Allomantic Iron/Steel for almost any kind of sport; Pewter, whether Allomantic or Feruchemical, for wrestling, and Tin could be used for a wide variety of things. Same with academically geared clubs and Mental Feruchemy.

... Actually, you know what?

A sort of Babylon 5-esque (or Mass Effect-esque set up for you millennials) set up where a Federation-esque organization monitors and explores the Cosmere, combining space opera with several flavours of high fantasy? That would be amazing!

16 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

...Duralumin? Why would that be used? Unless they were somehow tapping a metalmind inside of someone with one of these medallions, it'd be useless in checking for internal metalminds.

A coinshot or lurcher using a medallion giving duraluminum allomancy could burn duraluminum in order to boost their steel or iron sight, therefore possibly seeing lines pointing to internal metalminds. 

19 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

... Actually, you know what?

A sort of Babylon 5-esque (or Mass Effect-esque set up for you millennials) set up where a Federation-esque organization monitors and explores the Cosmere, combining space opera with several flavours of high fantasy? That would be amazing!

Storm Trek: The Next Desolation

Edited by bleeder

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Fear is the mind-killer!

"Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

New headcanon: Either Paul or Leto Atreides is a Sliver, like the Lord Ruler. 

Just now, Quadrophenia said:

"Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

New headcanon: Either Paul or Leto Atreides is a Sliver, like the Lord Ruler. 

Paul.

Wait, back to Storm Trek

The venerable Captain Ernest Cladent leads his trusty crew on the C.V. Neverfar, to boldly go where no human, listener, or Hemalurgic creation has gone before. 

Like Threnody. No one goes there, psh.

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Paul.

Wait, back to Storm Trek

The venerable Captain Ernest Cladent leads his trusty crew on the C.V. Neverfar, to boldly go where no human, listener, or Hemalurgic creation has gone before. 

Like Threnody. No one goes there, psh.

We shall not go to Threnody. Tis a silly place.