35 minutes ago, Figberts said:

I always thought their real names were symmetry, and they were made unsemetrical over time. Otherwise why would the Vorins love symmetry?

That's one of the (admittedly many) things I haven't been able to crack. I am confident that the "regular" sounding names for the Heralds - Nale, Jezrien, etc. - are their real names, and the Vorin people, or maybe the Dawnsingers, gave them holy names to match the symmetry they already revered. I don't doubt that. But I can't decide why stuff happened in this order.

1 hour ago, Argent said:

That's one of the (admittedly many) things I haven't been able to crack. I am confident that the "regular" sounding names for the Heralds - Nale, Jezrien, etc. - are their real names, and the Vorin people, or maybe the Dawnsingers, gave them holy names to match the symmetry they already revered. I don't doubt that. But I can't decide why stuff happened in this order.

Maybe because "god" Tanavast has a simmetric -ike name and his shard too...unlikely but possible

On 15/10/2016 at 5:42 AM, Treamayne said:

I doubt it was similar to Elsecalling. When we see Jasnah appear, it is in a swirl of light and without condensation (or at least none is mentioned). However shardblades (and possibly Taln) appear, it is different from the way an Elsecaller steps from Cognitive to Physical. M:SH Spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Which seems, in appearance,  much more like a portable version of the Wells as seen in Mistborn: Secret History when Wit Hoid uses the well to get at the cavern.

The description implies heat and light. If heat/light is a consistent theme of transition from Cognitive to physical, is it possible that mist/frost is transition from Spiritual to Physical?

You know, it makes me wonder if Jasnah had been to Ashyn via the cognitive realm...

5 hours ago, Argent said:

That's one of the (admittedly many) things I haven't been able to crack. I am confident that the "regular" sounding names for the Heralds - Nale, Jezrien, etc. - are their real names, and the Vorin people, or maybe the Dawnsingers, gave them holy names to match the symmetry they already revered.

They are the real names (some are symmetrical to start with, so maybe that's got something to do with it.)

Can you confirm the real names of the Heralds for me?

Brandon Sanderson

Jezrien, Nale, Chanarach (nickname: Chana), Vedel, Paliah (nickname: Pali), Shalash (nickname: Ash), Battar, Kalak, Talenel (nickname: Taln), Ishar.

I realized afterwards that this is from your WoR Signing Report Argent. Perhaps that's why you are confident in the back of your mind about it

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

I realized afterwards that this is from your WoR Signing Report Argent. Perhaps that's why you are confident in the back of your mind about it

I was downplaying it - that's the exact WoB I was thinking of :)

When I saw the variety of names, I just assumed Brandon was being realistic about the kinds of linguistic drift that happens over millenia. For instance, Brandon's editor is named Moshe, which is just the Hebrew version of Moses. Same names, with a bit of linguistic drift. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2016 at 1:29 PM, Eki said:

I think his actual appearance is very much unlike the vast majority of Alethi though. And I doubt a darkeyed person would willfully immigrate to Alethkar. It's possible, of course, but unlikely. I think it would be more likely someone from the west would learn Alethi, in that case. But Taln showed up in Alethkar... Wouldn't that mean the body he supposedly possessed was in Alethkar too?

Late to the party, I see. The real Taln would have to show up to Alethkar. As explained in Dalinar's visions, the Alethi were the Kingdom set aside for war, and Taln is the Herald of War. Each Herald has a specialty, and each of the Silver Kingdoms also had a specialty that matched a Herald, I would assume.

Edited by Anthony Pero
Misquote.

• Chaos locked this topic