Ettmetal theory

JUQ

I believe that Ettmetal is francium, or perhaps a less volatile form of it.

What we know:

1. It explodes when coming into contact with water
  2. It has a lot of energy

That's it, really. Now, what do we know about francium?

1. It's an alkali metal like sodium, cesium, and rubidium, and has an interesting trait in common: Extreme electronegativity, resulting in explosions when coming into contact with water. In fact, as you go down the periodic table, the elements become more electronegative. This means that cesium has a more violent DIRECT reaction with water than sodium (before you mention 'spontaneous combustion of the vast quantities of hydrogen generated' notice the word 'direct'). Francium is at the very bottom of these. So, BIG boom-boom on contact with water. Check point one.
  2. As the least electronegative element on the table, it is extremely reactive. Therefore, it will give off a lot of energy in order to shed it's extra electron. So, lots of energy. Check point three.
  3. When asked if ettmetal was Cesium, Branderson RAFOed and said that was the right lines.

The only problems with my theory are:

1. Francium is radioactive, and therefore dangerous to hoomans. Whether or not it's dangerous to Scadrians is another matter entirely.
  2. My chemistry knowledge is a little rusty, but I believe that if you gather a sizable lump of francium, it evaporates.

So, whaddyatink? Crazy? Insane? Bonkers? We aim to please.

Definitely a good thought, but Wikipedia presents some hurdles. Francium has a half-life of only 22 minutes, and the heat of decay would vaporize any accumulated amount of the material. In RL, no one has also accumulated any significant amount of it.

Things get funky when you reach the bottom of the table; one of my professors once called them 'fake elements' since they only exist for brief moments in a lab. So, don't think Francium would be a good candidate, even though its theoretical reaction with water should be more violent.

I'm fairly sure it's a god metal, probably Harmonium. But the "base" metal (ie the metal that is wrapped around the spiritual to create it) could very well be an alkali metal.

If it isn't a god metal, it just feels so odd that it would enable magic like that. When in use, it's like it's being burned, except outside of an Allomancer.

9 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Definitely a good thought, but Wikipedia presents some hurdles. Francium has a half-life of only 22 minutes, and the heat of decay would vaporize any accumulated amount of the material. In RL, no one has also accumulated any significant amount of it.

Things get funky when you reach the bottom of the table; one of my professors once called them 'fake elements' since they only exist for brief moments in a lab. So, don't think Francium would be a good candidate, even though its theoretical reaction with water should be more violent.

10 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

My chemistry knowledge is a little rusty, but I believe that if you gather a sizable lump of francium, it evaporates.

I noticed that problem.

Yeah, Francium is extremely rarely found in nature, and pretty much impossible to use. Cesium melts at about 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius), so is also unlikely. Rubidium explodes without water occasionally. Potassium and Sodium are both possible, as far as I know. Lithium will not really explode in water, just ignite.

11 minutes ago, Entreos said:

Yeah, Francium is extremely rarely found in nature, and pretty much impossible to use. Cesium melts at about 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius), so is also unlikely. Rubidium explodes without water occasionally. Potassium and Sodium are both possible, as far as I know. Lithium will not really explode in water, just ignite.

The reason I suggested francium was the radioactivity. However, ettmetal seems to get energy from electron stuff or whatever you're meant to say. Lithium will just convert water into hydrogen and oxygen, it will not explode. Sodium, however, will cause the hydrogen to explode. Therefore, it is probably actually the best choice. I doubt if it would be metallic sodium however, because it sends to stain hands (I think) and blacken when exposed to air. It's probably an alloy of some sort.

1 minute ago, The True Survivor said:

The reason I suggested francium was the radioactivity. However, ettmetal seems to get energy from electron stuff or whatever you're meant to say. Lithium will just convert water into hydrogen and oxygen, it will not explode. Sodium, however, will cause the hydrogen to explode. Therefore, it is probably actually the best choice. I doubt if it would be metallic sodium however, because it sends to stain hands (I think) and blacken when exposed to air. It's probably an alloy of some sort.

Yeah, I think Potassium works mostly the same as Sodium: Explodes in water, but badness happens when exposed to air. But Francium I'm fairly sure is completely impossible, as is lithium. And what do you mean by "get energy from electron stuff?"

2 hours ago, Entreos said:

Yeah, I think Potassium works mostly the same as Sodium: Explodes in water, but badness happens when exposed to air. But Francium I'm fairly sure is completely impossible, as is lithium. And what do you mean by "get energy from electron stuff?"

Sorry, I finished school three years ago and can't remember things very well. It's something to do with how it wants to get rid of it's extra electron, right? To satisfy the octet rule. (I can imagine Wayne saying something like, "What's a big cat got to do with it?")

EDIT:
I found a WoB that points to it being Cesium:

QUESTION

What's the chemical definition of a metal in Mistborn? Is it the entire chunk of the periodic table defined as a metal?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is technically that, but many of them are Allomantically inert. But things like cesium still count

However, I think that Brandon is trolling here, referencing Cesium in the hope that someone might notice it and think it's meaningful. It's question 12 here: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160

Edited by The True Survivor

5 hours ago, The True Survivor said:

Sorry, I finished school three years ago and can't remember things very well. It's something to do with how it wants to get rid of it's extra electron, right? To satisfy the octet rule. (I can imagine Wayne saying something like, "What's a big cat got to do with it?")

EDIT:
I found a WoB that points to it being Cesium:

However, I think that Brandon is trolling here, referencing Cesium in the hope that someone might notice it and think it's meaningful. It's question 12 here: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1160

That actually seems to imply almost the opposite, he's using cesium as an example of something that's a metal but allomantically inert.

Others have pointed out that Allik's language is apparently Scandinavian, and ettmetal should thus mean something like one/first metal.

So I think it's either Harmonium or Lithium.

On 10/6/2016 at 4:39 AM, The True Survivor said:
  1. It's an alkali metal like sodium, cesium, and rubidium, and has an interesting trait in common: Extreme electronegativity, resulting in explosions when coming into contact with water. In fact, as you go down the periodic table, the elements become more electronegative. This means that cesium has a more violent DIRECT reaction with water than sodium (before you mention 'spontaneous combustion of the vast quantities of hydrogen generated' notice the word 'direct'). Francium is at the very bottom of these. So, BIG boom-boom on contact with water. Check point one.

Sure, but even though the higher alkali metals have a more violent reaction, it's less actual energy. And we don't know exactly how the ettmetal bombs work - they could be basically fuel air bombs using the hydrogen generated.

• Chaos locked this topic