No Shardplate for Kaladin

bdoble97

12 hours ago, shadowwisp said:

If Kaladin and Szeth end up having a rematch, I suspect he will desperately need the shardplate.

Even without Nightblood, Szeth is personally being trained by a Herald.  

But is that not exactly what he did in the end of book 1? First to revere lash to draw all the enemy arrows towards his shield. It would have worked better if he had a stronger shield.....or shardplate. Then he ran solo into the middle of the enemy army to soak up as much attention as possible to let the other bridgemen place the bridge. You can't be more of a tank than that. 

And now that Kaladin is going to get a full team of squires, he is certainly going to be leading the charge into battle. If he ends up dying, presumably his squires will lose their abilities. So again, best interest for Kaladin to wear some shardplate.  

That was a spur of the moment last ditch effort. To save lives. When he has time to plan and fight, or he is just fight when he was fighting Szeth he totally was not being a tank and slamming into his opponent. He is to smar and patient when fighting to just barge in there. 

50 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

That was a spur of the moment last ditch effort. To save lives. When he has time to plan and fight, or he is just fight when he was fighting Szeth he totally was not being a tank and slamming into his opponent. He is to smar and patient when fighting to just barge in there. 

Kaladin's personality tends to put him into to last ditch effort actions hahaha. Like jumping into the area to help Alodin and distract the other Shard wielders, or acting as a distraction/aggro to help Shallan escape from the Chasmfiend, or acting as a last line of defense for the king when facing Szeth for the first time and again at the end of the book. 

I think your definition of a tank is different from mine. A tank isn't someone who slams into someone, a tank is someone who protects others. And that fits Kaladin's role/personality quite well. He was hired to be a royal bodyguard after all.  

I do have to agree with you in that it's tough to see Kaladin wearing plate but he would be completely unreasonable not to. In both fights with Szeth, he lost his arm in a single slice. It took a significant amount of time and stormlight to heal it, both of which are invaluable in a fight against another Shard wielder. 

Plus, the Shardplate would help him against the extra radiation and cold temperatures high in the sky. 

Edited by shadowwisp

59 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I'm sorry, but why are you assuming that wearing shardplate means Kaladin has to just stand there and take hits, or just go around body slamming people? As stated before, shardplate grants increased mobility and strength. He would be quite able to continue to fight in his usual method, lithely moving through the battlefield while using basic lashings to finely control movement, while in shardplate. 

1 hour ago, shadowwisp said:

Kaladin's personality tends to put him into to last ditch effort actions hahaha. Like jumping into the area to help Alodin and distract the other Shard wielders, or acting as a distraction/aggro to help Shallan escape from the Chasmfiend, or acting as a last line of defense for the king when facing Szeth for the first time and again at the end of the book. 

I think your definition of a tank is different from mine. A tank isn't someone who slams into someone, a tank is someone who protects others. And that fits Kaladin's role/personality quite well. He was hired to be a royal bodyguard after all.  

I do have to agree with you in that it's tough to see Kaladin wearing plate but he would be completely unreasonable not to. In both fights with Szeth, he lost his arm in a single slice. It took a significant amount of time and stormlight to heal it, both of which are invaluable in a fight against another Shard wielder. 

Plus, the Shardplate would help him against the extra radiation and cold temperatures high in the sky. 

Excellent statements there I agree our definition of a tank are different. When I think of a tank I think about when I played hockey growing up they always said I was a tank because I would just sleep in the Bog people as hard as I could not caring if I get hurt as long as I took out the guy haha that's probably why I had three concussions. And a bunch of broken bones. For me a tank it's someone like Lan  from The Wheel of Time at the last battle he goes in there for the kill no matter what's going to happen to him. 

I don't think it's out of character for Kaladin to use a plate. 

Initially, he's repulsed by Shards, and he thinks the reason he's repulsed is because those Shards were just used to kill most of his squad. Now, that may be partially true for that specific set of shards, but later we see him being offered Shallan's Blade, and he does not have any sense of revulsion. But he is repulsed by every other dead Shardblade he comes in contact with. We can surmise from this that what actually repulses him is some sense of the dead spren trapped inside.

I don't recall any instances of him feeling repulsed by Shardplate specifically. If he rejects Shards, it's either a Blade or a complete set. He uses that helmet in the duel without any sense of revulsion. It may be because any sense wasn't noteworthy in the face of the emergency, but I don't think so.

So I do think Kaladin will end up using Shardplate at some point.

34 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Excellent statements there I agree our definition of a tank are different. When I think of a tank I think about when I played hockey growing up they always said I was a tank because I would just sleep in the Bog people as hard as I could not caring if I get hurt as long as I took out the guy haha that's probably why I had three concussions. And a bunch of broken bones. For me a tank it's someone like Lan  from The Wheel of Time at the last battle he goes in there for the kill no matter what's going to happen to him. 

If that's your definition then it actually fits Kaladin really well. Consider all the times he's gotten into a fight. Most of these times, he's thrown himself into the fight with the intent of accomplishing a specific goal with little regard for his well-being. At the end of WoK he threw himself at the Parshendi with the desire to save the Kholins. He hopped into the arena during Adolin's duel to save him without regard for his safety. He went to save Gavilar without his surgebinding powers, knowing he would be facing full shardbearers, without caring about his safety. 

As far as I can see, with either definition of a tank, Kaladin would end up wearing shardplate because it's the logical thing to do. It will make him a more effective fighter, and whether he is doing impulsive stunts or methodical fighting, it would be an advantage for him. 

8 hours ago, shadowwisp said:

Sorry for my misspellings most the time I post when im at work doing voice to text. Ots bad when I look back at what I have said lol. But really enjoy the banter  back and forth. I guess I just dont picture Kaladin in Shardplate 

On 10/12/2016 at 7:27 PM, Oversleep said:

Could please somebody explain why wouldn't Kaladin want his own Shardplate? I mean, very resistant power armor which does not inhibit movement in any way and, if what we've seen in visions is what we think it is, it can be summoned at will. What are the cons?

Meanwhile the pros are numerous: protection against mundane damage = less Stormlight wasted on healing. Protection against supernatural damage, like Shardweapons. Interference with other Investitures - Szeth couldn't Lash people in Shardplate, it's almost impossible to be Pushed/Pulled etc. Protection against Voidbringers - Adolin would be toast when that stormform threw lightning at him - also it protects the eyes, as the helmet adapted to black out the flashes.

Possibly it also creates a closed circuit of Stormlight, which means none of it is wasted by evaporation.

Yeah, I cant think of a single good reason for why he wouldn't use it. Shallan sure since she isnt a fighter but why wouldn't Kaladin use something that dramatically increases his fighting ability and chances of survival and victory? He's definitely going to get it sooner or later.

• Chaos locked this topic