How much time has passed.

bdoble97

I am almost done with my read read a Words of Radiance and I'm on chapter 78 were on pg 1140 Shallan is  drawing a picture of Jasnah as she'd been on that night just over a month ago when Shallan had last seen her. To me so much has happened in yhis book it seems hard yo think roughly only a month has passed during the events of this book. I would of thought there would of had at least three or four months past by the point that Dalinar's grand army  actually head out onto the shadow Plains. Makes me wonder how much time has passed between the two books we have so far in the SA surely there was much more time passing in The Way of Kings.

A Rosharan month is fifty days, so it's a little longer than you might think.

I can only remember one Weeping (other than in flashbacks; correct me if I'm wrong), which means the two combined have been less than one year.

I looked in WoK, and chapter 2 starts with "Eight months later", meaning eight months after Kaladin kills the shardbearer and becomes a slave. Then, towards the end of the book, his final flashback (the scene where Amaram betrays him) is "One year ago" (or ten months ago, though it could be rounded off). At that point, there is quite a bit left of the book, but at least we can say WoK is at least two months, but probably not that much longer.

31 minutes ago, Eki said:

A Rosharan month is fifty days, so it's a little longer than you might think.

I can only remember one Weeping (other than in flashbacks; correct me if I'm wrong), which means the two combined have been less than one year.

I looked in WoK, and chapter 2 starts with "Eight months later", meaning eight months after Kaladin kills the shardbearer and becomes a slave. Then, towards the end of the book, his final flashback (the scene where Amaram betrays him) is "One year ago" (or ten months ago, though it could be rounded off). At that point, there is quite a bit left of the book, but at least we can say WoK is at least two months, but probably not that much longer.

So with the two books together we are looking at about 3 months 150 days. If i read your response correctly.

Just now, bdoble97 said:

So with the two books together we are looking at about 3 months 150 days. If i read your response correctly.

Longer than that, but probably not by too much. Kaladin's final flashback is in part four of WoK, but part five is pretty short, at least in terms of pages. Time also passes between the books.

Probably needs a separate topic, but this leads me to something I was thinking about: How old the characters are.

Shallan, for example is presented as a quite young woman - I thought 16 was mentioned somewhere, but the Stormlight Archive states she is 18 at the end of WoR.  So this works out about 24.5 years old in our terms (18 x 500/365).  How we view someone who is 24-25 does not mesh with how I perceive Shallan to be written.

Any thoughts, comments on this?

The days are shorter on Roshar, as well. One Rosharan year ends up being 1.1 earth years.

The Coppermind has birth years where available. Shallan was born in 1156, and the books take place in 1173 (WoR ends right when 1174 begins, I believe). So it seems like she's around 17 Rosharan years old. or so. Not sure where it says she's 18, but that might be closer to her true age if she was born early in 1156.

So she'd be 19-20 by our reckoning.

10 minutes ago, Nu Ralik said:

Probably needs a separate topic, but this leads me to something I was thinking about: How old the characters are.

Shallan, for example is presented as a quite young woman - I thought 16 was mentioned somewhere, but the Stormlight Archive states she is 18 at the end of WoR.  So this works out about 24.5 years old in our terms (18 x 500/365).  How we view someone who is 24-25 does not mesh with how I perceive Shallan to be written.

Any thoughts, comments on this?

Ignore the age conversion which is 1.1, BTW. I doubt the author intends us to read the book with a calculator and he wouldn't give us ages if they were meant to be warp through the action of a WoB the majority of readers have never heard of. 

I thus picture the characters as per their book age, which is 17.5 years old for Shallan. Others may disagree, but I have always hated the "Earth age conversion": it never fits with the canon descriptions and behaviors of the characters. 

• Chaos locked this topic