Disappointed in Words of Radiance

Quothe

Wait! It isnt what it...looks like? Sounds like? Reads like? I dunno. But anyway, i have one major gripe about this book(well maybe the only one, since it was so amazing!).

Its the fact that Shallan and Wit didnt get into an all out battle royale of insults!

We did get to see Shallan and Kaladin argue, and that was awesomely amusing in its own right. But knowing throughout the books that Shallan can barely hold her tongue from making snappy retorts and Wit loving to insult/confuse everyone he sees, i was honestly shocked that not a single witty moment passed between the two. 

So, if you guys agree or you wanna share a few moments you wished happened in the Stormlight Archive but didnt, feel free to tell me.

I'm actually not surprised Wit and Shallan never insulted each other. Shallan is, after all, very grateful to Wit after their meeting many years ago. I think Wit has a kind of respect for Shallan too. I actually think they are very much alike in many ways. Both hiding secrets and playing roles, constantly...

That doesn't necessarily mean they won't get into a witty banter contest, but yeah, I'm not surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I can't really think of anything I wish had happened. Nothing I don't expect to happen in the future, at any rate.

May memory is hazy on this, but there may be a WoB that Shallan isn't at Wit's level yet, so he would destroy her in a battle of insults. 

Though I also agree that it's less likely to happen because of their past encounters. 

Mild Cosmere spoiler:

Spoiler

It is also strongly hinted that Hoid uses the Yolish form of Lightweaving, including in various WoB (though he as RAFO'd it as well), so they are also both likely practitioners of the same type of magic system. Someone should ask Brandon if all Lightweavers are snarky.... ;) 

I think it would actually be more fun to see Shallan and Hoid tag teaming e.g. the Highprinces, shredding their feable souls with an insane barrage of razor sharp insults and killer puns.! :D:P 

16 hours ago, Eki said:

I'm actually not surprised Wit and Shallan never insulted each other. Shallan is, after all, very grateful to Wit after their meeting many years ago. I think Wit has a kind of respect for Shallan too. I actually think they are very much alike in many ways. Both hiding secrets and playing roles, constantly...

That doesn't necessarily mean they won't get into a witty banter contest, but yeah, I'm not surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I can't really think of anything I wish had happened. Nothing I don't expect to happen in the future, at any rate.

Ahh, see that's the thing. I am aware of their meeting all those years ago and I conpletely understand that Shallan is very grateful to Wit for helping her, which is why I kinda wish that meeting never happened. Dont get me wrong, it was definitely a good scene and it was really cute and heartwarming when Shallan hugged Wit during their reunion, Wit standing awkwardly for a few secs afterwards obviously not used to someone being affectionate towards him.

4 hours ago, Argel said:

May memory is hazy on this, but there may be a WoB that Shallan isn't at Wit's level yet, so he would destroy her in a battle of insults. 

Though I also agree that it's less likely to happen because of their past encounters. 

Mild Cosmere spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

It is also strongly hinted that Hoid uses the Yolish form of Lightweaving, including in various WoB (though he as RAFO'd it as well), so they are also both likely practitioners of the same type of magic system. Someone should ask Brandon if all Lightweavers are snarky.... ;) 

I think it would actually be more fun to see Shallan and Hoid tag teaming e.g. the Highprinces, shredding their feable souls with an insane barrage of razor sharp insults and killer puns.! :D:P 

That would make sense, since Wit/Hoid has travelled throughout the Cosmere and all. Speaking of which, ive seen WoB a bunch of times on posts and had never figured out what it means. Could you explain it?

And YES! A tag team between the two would be just as awesome, against anyone really. Maybe the final confrontation in SA will be Wit and Shallan just yelling their retorts towards Odium and him breaking into millions of pieces :P.

39 minutes ago, sirchesh said:

Speaking of which, ive seen WoB a bunch of times on posts and had never figured out what it means. Could you explain it?

WoB stands for Word of Brandon. Essentially something that Brandson Sanderson said in an interview that isn't necessarily in any of his books. I believe the term originates from fans of Wheel of Time. Same thing for RAFO which stands for Read And Find Out. 

RAFO: coppermind.net/wiki/File:Card_rafo.jpg 

Edited by shadowwisp

12 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

WoB stands for Word of Brandon. Essentially something that Brandson Sanderson said in an interview that isn't necessarily in any of his books. I believe the term originates from fans of Wheel of Time. Same thing for RAFO which stands for Read And Find Out. 

Ooohh, thanks!

20 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

I always assumed the term was a variation on the phrase Word of God

• Chaos locked this topic