Glyphs for Profiles

Awesomeness Summoned

Yeah, the light beams didn't turn out exactly how I envisioned them and then they made it hard to read the number. I attempted to rectify with a few blending layers but, as you say, they did end up looking a bit featherish.

I went back and reduced the beams a bit and added some alternative lighting effects. This any better?

17th_shard_2.jpg

Yeah, the light beams didn't turn out exactly how I envisioned them and then they made it hard to read the number. I attempted to rectify with a few blending layers but, as you say, they did end up looking a bit featherish.

I went back and reduced the beams a bit and added some alternative lighting effects. This any better?

17th_shard_2.jpg

Well, that's pretty freaking awesome.

17th_shard_2.jpg

Wow, you got it perfect. That's exactly what I had in mind, great work!

I've been trying to come up with ways to integrate the KR glyphs with their respective gemstones and it's proven to easily be the most difficult design so far. I wanted to make it look like the glyphs were glowing from inside the gemstones but the picture in my head seems to be beyond my photoshopping knowledge.

Working on Metacognition's personal avatar and the 17s icon gave me some ideas that turned out alright I guess.

Gems_sapphire.png

The problem is that I've gone through so many alterations I'm not sure I could recreate this with the other glyphs and it would take a lot of time to make each one. So, let me know if you think it looks good and worth the time to make the others or if I should scrap it.

Personally, I think it looks pretty good. I was picturing the symbol just kind of engraved on the gem, in white maybe.That looks much more awesome. Maybe you could make the symbol all one color? It seems a little disjointed with both the black and the blue. A less complicated sapphire might be easier to begin with, though. I don't know, because I have very little experience with this sort of thing. Whatever you decide will be wonderful, I'm sure.

EDIT: I just noticed that this post isn't really very helpful at all. Feel free to ignore it.

Edited by Limelleth

I think the glyph is a lot clearer. I like it a lot, especially the Windrunner one because it has that edge of blue in the engraving. The red one looks more like white stuff is sticking out, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Limelleth

I wonder if you could give us a hint of how you did that? It looks awesome and I want to try for myself. Unfortunately, my Photoshop-fu is weak and I'm nowhere near that skill level.

I could be wrong, but it looks like a basic bevel effect to me. (You do mean the engraved ones right?) you just right click the layer, click blending options, and the bevel&emboss is one of the effects you can mess with.

It could also be some mystical technique that I have no knowledge of.

Simply engraving the glyph on the stone is a much simpler process and I can definitely do that if you think it looks better that way:

gem_sapphire_engr.png gem_garnet_engr.png

These are exceptional. I encourage you to keep going with it! I might have to call dibs on the amethyst one if it is purple enough :)

I could be wrong, but it looks like a basic bevel effect to me. (You do mean the engraved ones right?) you just right click the layer, click blending options, and the bevel&emboss is one of the effects you can mess with.

It could also be some mystical technique that I have no knowledge of.

Yes for the engraved version it's more or less just a bevel blending mask. There is also a clipping mask for adding the blue edge (which as was noted didn't show up as much on the lightweaver glyph) and some other small details.

The one where I tried to do the glowing from within look though is a pretty complicated process to get the light beams. It involves about 5-6 different filters and numerous layers. As I said, it was a headache and didn't look any better than the engraved version so I'll just stick with finishing that set.

Chaos, on 05 Feb 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

I demand a full set of these.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I tried to vary the shapes of the gemstones a bit.

gem_sapphire_engr.png gem_smokestone_engr.png gem_ruby_engr.png gem_emerald_engr.png gem_diamond_engr.png

gem_garnet_engr.png gem_zircon_engr_2.png gem_amethyst_engr.png gem_topaz_engr_.png gem_heliodor_engr.png

I had troubles deciding on the stone to use for the heliodor and zircon so actually made two alternates for those.

gem_heliodor_engr_2.png gem_zircon_engr.png

Actual smokey quartz (which seems to be the consensus on what smokestone is) has a brownish tint like the one I made above but the skybreaker glyph has a purplish hue so I altered the color of some smokey quarts and made an alternate version of that one.

gem_smokestone_engr_2.png

Edited by aWESomeness summoned

Fantastic work. Many kudos!

I'm trying to think of suggestions, can only think of Stormlight stuff, lol. Like Chapter Icons (Kaladin's Spear symbol and stuff) and then the Border Headings of the Heralds (and the Masked Man)

I can't really remember any symbols or stuff from Warbreaker. Maybe try and find a cool design for Nightblood? (somewhere)
(Maybe do like a .gif of someone with Royal Locks changing hair color?)

How about doing some Wheel of Time symbols? I'm sure you could do stuff with the Aes Sedai symbol and the Dragon icon, or Heron marked swords or cool stuff. You got some nice photoshop skills.

All those new gems are so shiny and I love them. You are wonderful. I'd swap over to using one of the nice gems or the very vector-artish no-border Radiant glyphs, but I'm still highly enjoying my Voidbinding glyph over here. Maybe, if it's not too much trouble, you could do a set of Voidbinding glyphs in the style of the no-border Radiant glyphs? The no-border Radiant ones are just incredibly clean looking and it's great.

Edited by Moogle