Honorblades, do they have sheaths?

tobar14

Question

download.jpg

I was traveling back to MN from WI, and i stopped at a gas station and noticed they were selling audiobooks/graphic audio thingys.  Just for fun I searched to see if they had any Sanderson novels, and they did!

On the front of The Way of Kings graphic audio, it depicted Szeth unsheathing his honorblade. That made me think, do Honorblades have sheaths? Shardblades certainly don't.

Edited by tobar14

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, averyp1017 said:

No

Hide contents

, because they just turn back into spren when you are done using them.

Just a small correction. Honorblades don´t

Spoiler

turn back into Spren,because they aren´t Spren. That´s why Kaladin can touch Szeths blade without it screaming in his head

2 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

Well, one special one does...

...I know you know that the "one sword" isn't necessarily a shardblade. It's just based on them, right?

EDIT:

or is it based on the honorblades?

Edited by tobar14

8 minutes ago, tobar14 said:

...I know you know that the "one sword" isn't necessarily a shardblade. It's just based on them, right?

EDIT:

It is based on a dead shardblade. (They probably sensed the spren within using their lifesense.) Depending on your definition, it certainly is a shardblade - big chunks of a shard's power, crammed into a weapon.

2 hours ago, tobar14 said:

EDIT:

Nightblood is a shardblade. Brandon has named it as such. Also, a general definition of a shardblade is "a heavily invested magical object", which Nightblood definitely covers.

Towards the actual question. It's definitely artistic interpretation. There's no need for a sheath for an Honorblade since you can just store there in wherever honorblades go when they vanish. The closest sprenblades, and probably honorblades, have to sheaths is the edge coverings they use for practicing. 

4 hours ago, tobar14 said:

EDIT:

Relevant WoB:

Interview: Aug 13th, 2014

Question

The "God Surges" you mentioned recently, are they a part of the Way of Kings frontsheet?

You've said that there are three types of Blades in the Stormlight Archive. We've seen "dead" Shardblades, Honorblades—is the third type the "living spren" Shardblades, or is there another type we haven't seen?

Do all Surgebinders breathe Stormlight in, or are there other ways? Is Lift one-of-a-kind in this regard?

Brandon Sanderson

All I said regarding this was to tell a fan that it was possible to make an analogy between the god metals on Scadrial and certain powers on Roshar. However, these are not a codified part of the magic system.

Lift is one of a kind.

Nightblood is a very unique kind of Shardblade, but IS a Shardblade.

Tags

8 minutes ago, Figberts said:

You guys are overthinking this. You could just buy a sheath and stick your Honorblade in.

Te shardblade would cut its way straight out of it unless its made from the special metal that is resistant to shardblades, and that is apparently extremely rare.