Some Hoid Theories

These may be already on here, and I'm sorry if they are. I have two theories on Hoid, but I have no real proof to back them up, just speculation. We know that Hoid can travel forward in time, but not back. I think this could be because he is using a Speedbubble, either for a,long time, or a very strong one. We also know that Hoid can regenerate very quickly, since he told Jasnah her shardblade would hardly hurt him. I think this may be because he can compound, using gold like Miles in Alloy of Law. Do you guys think these could be right, or are they already disproved?

Hoid may have powers that come from magic before the Shattering of Adonalsium. This means that he might be travelling forward or regenerating using similar realmatic methods as allomancey, but use a completely different method of accessing that power. (He may not need metal as a focus)

For the speedbubble theory, it could be unlikely, since he had to live through thousands of years during the Shattering and Catacendre period(Mistborn Trilogy). He should have used other methods to travel through time.

For the regeneration theory, I'm not sure whether we have got any confirmation that Gold Compounding can be used to heal Spiritual injuries. But I believe Hoid regenerates by other methods rather than Allomancy as well.

For his ability to move to time but not back, could it be as simple as going into a state of hibernation and waking up when he sets the "alarm". That would also explain why he can't move back in time.  Sleeping could be considered a sort of time travel.  

Edited by shadowwisp

1 hour ago, shadowwisp said:

For his ability to move to time but not back, could it be as simple as going into a state of hibernation and waking up when he sets the "alarm". That would also explain why he can't move back in time.  Sleeping could be considered a sort of time travel.  

Yeah, I think Hoid was in some kind of hibernation until pretty recently before Elantris. (Though when he want to sleep, I don't know - he seems to have had a hand in the Worldbringers and Worldsingers long ago.) At least, Hoid seemed to know much less about the cosmere magics at the time when he tried to become an Elantrian. If he had thousands of years to learn before then, he probably would have already known it would fail.

Edit: Also, isn't time dilation involved in travelling through the Cognitive Realm somehow?

Edited by Eki

My impression was that Hoid's ability to move forward in time was tied to his ability to worldhop. Moving through the cognitive realm to get to places can change the rate you move through time and space. 

While gold compounding is one way of healing the soul, there are many ways overall, and I think Hoid's method does not rely on Metallic Arts. While there isn't any real proof of that, compared to other methods such as using the Surge of Regrowth, gold compounding is a two step process which requires a hack between two systems, while one system methods do exist and are likely easier to preform. Also, I think he possessed most of his base powers before he even reached Scadrial.

14 hours ago, Talenel'Elin, Stonisrew said:

We also know that Hoid can regenerate very quickly, since he told Jasnah her shardblade would hardly hurt him. I think this may be because he can compound, using gold like Miles in Alloy of Law. 

For hoid healing himself we have this WOB.

INTERVIEW: Mar 4th, 2014

PINPOINT

If Hoid got beheaded, would his body grow a new head?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

PINPOINT

What if Hoid got cut by a shardblade?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Shardblade cuts the soul and what Hoid does heals the soul

To me this suggest that it is not gold because it seems like gold only heals the physical body but I don't know if there is a WOB on that.  It seems like he is using something similar to regrowth and we can assume regrowth does this since Mr. T suggest that Kaladin healed his arm with one of the regrowth honorblades and Sezth believed him.  

2 minutes ago, Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor said:

For hoid healing himself we have this WOB.

To me this suggest that it is not gold because it seems like gold only heals the physical body but I don't know if there is a WOB on that.  It seems like he is using something similar to regrowth and we can assume regrowth does this since Mr. T suggest that Kaladin healed his arm with one of the regrowth honorblades and Sezth believed him.  

Gold feruchemical can heal spiritual as well. It uses investiture to change the physical and spiritual to what the cognitive aspect thinks they are. Regrowth works the same with Stormlight.

KURKISTAN (GOODREADS)

Could Miles heal back his Allomancy if it was spiked out of him?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No, he could not. He would no longer be an Allomancer. Also, he'd probably be dead. :)

KURKISTAN

I'd thought maybe he could just do some super-tapping from his existing Health in his goldminds (since he'd still have his Feruchemy)...

BRANDON SANDERSON

Oh, I see what you're asking. Using Feruchemy to heal the removed portion of soul. That's actually plausible, not so different from healing other kinds of soul-wounds. If he survived, then yes, this actually might work. (That's why I get for reading the questions so quickly.

[Source]

2 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Gold feruchemical can heal spiritual as well. It uses investiture to change the physical and spiritual to what the cognitive aspect thinks they are. Regrowth works the same with Stormlight.

[Source]

Thats good to know and I guess it makes sense since it is using a type of investiture.  

Forgive me for forgetting but does Hoid possess Feruchemical powers? We have apparently seem him use allomancy (despite the letter seemingly telling us that he kept the lerasium bead safe) but I don't see how he could have gotten feruchemy as well. Are we talking about a feruchemical gold equivalent power that he then combines with allomancy or true Scadrial compounding?

23 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

Forgive me for forgetting but does Hoid possess Feruchemical powers? We have apparently seem him use allomancy (despite the letter seemingly telling us that he kept the lerasium bead safe) but I don't see how he could have gotten feruchemy as well. Are we talking about a feruchemical gold equivalent power that he then combines with allomancy or true Scadrial compounding?

According to Brandon he uses feruchemy in some part to help him divine where and when to go.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎28 at 9:40 PM, Talenel'Elin, Stonisrew said:

Hoid can regenerate very quickly, since he told Jasnah her shardblade would hardly hurt him

Do we have a quote that says hes a KR or was that just an assumption I made? cause I thought that was the reason

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎29 at 7:39 PM, nervousnerd said:

but I don't see how he could have gotten feruchemy as well

idk, we have no idea what trillium does, or he might have used a type of medallion type thing like the spear head, only more advanced, he is from Yolen after all

7 minutes ago, HonorIsDead said:

Do we have a quote that says hes a KR or was that just an assumption I made? cause I thought that was the reason

If he was, I'm pretty sure we would have noticed his spren in his PoVs. There are a lot of ways to get super healing in the Cosmere, and Hoid probably has access to one we haven't heard of yet.

On 10/29/2016 at 7:39 PM, nervousnerd said:

I don't know the details but I believe that the current theory is that Hoid is using the Lerasium God metal to "hack" into other magic systems to use them. 

4 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

I don't know the details but I believe that the current theory is that Hoid is using the Lerasium God metal to "hack" into other magic systems to use them. 

I'm not sure about that. It seems like he used the know-where-to-be trick before he picked the bead up in WoA. So that power must have come from somewhere else, at least. Who knows about everything else he's done since then.

41 minutes ago, theuntaintedchild said:

I have a personal theory that the reason Hoid knows where he needs to be but doesn't necessarily know why has connections to the Nightwatcher. He mentions at one point in WoR that the process is a little sketchy. 

The ability is described as innate though, and having to do with feruchemy. By implications, it's not a power he possesses as a result of reliance on another entity, but rather something he has because of a specific change in his spiritweb.

I think it's more likely that this form of investiture comes from Yolen. It probably works similarly to the bubbles, but I don't see a way he could get pure allomantic chromium outside of Scadrial. Anybody know anything about Yolen investiture?

7 minutes ago, Figberts said:

I think it's more likely that this form of investiture comes from Yolen. It probably works similarly to the bubbles, but I don't see a way he could get pure allomantic chromium outside of Scadrial. Anybody know anything about Yolen investiture?

We know he has Yolish Lightweaving (which is different from the Rosharan Lightweaving, but can produce some of the same effects). Other than that, I don't think we know much (except maybe some things that have appeared in early unpublished books Brandon wrote, that aren't necessarily canon anymore).

On 10/31/2016 at 8:22 AM, Spoolofwhool said:

The ability is described as innate though, and having to do with feruchemy. By implications, it's not a power he possesses as a result of reliance on another entity, but rather something he has because of a specific change in his spiritweb.

I'll take your word for it. Most of the spiritweb stuff leaves me baffled. XD

• Chaos locked this topic