taravangian's day of brilliance...

king of nowhere

I was rereading WoR, and I sudddenly connected the mathematics: Taravangian could expect to have another such day in 2000 years. And a rosharan year has 500 days. So the chances of Taravangian waking up that smart are... exactly one in a million!

And we all know one-in-a-million chances happen if you really need them (source: Terry P.)

Though, on the other hand, I favor a different idea, that the opposite one-in-a-million chance will happen, and T will wake up really dumb, but gifted with incredible compassion, and that will make him do something drastic that will actually make it all work.

I'm not sure so much that a 'day of ultimate compassion' would be enough to make his 'day of brilliance' plan work but it certainly could give him perspective on whether or not his assumptions concering the Nightwatcher's boon and bane were correct or not. After all, he asked for 'the capacity to save the world' and he's just assuming the hyper-intelligence was the boon that answered the wish while the shifting and inverse relationship to his compassion was the bane given to balance it out. Give him a day when he's on the complete opposite side of the scale and things could get very interesting.

Also, nice catch on the 'million-to-one' thing. Now as we know million to one chances happen nine times out of ten.... xD

• Chaos locked this topic