Roshar on Earth

Aryanath

I was reading the last week's issue of The Economist magazine today and I came across this article in the science section: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21709287-piece-sea-floor-stranded-dry-land-may-hold-clues-lifes-origin-topsy

It describes the Danakil (aka Afar) Depression in Ethiopia, "a piece of the sea floor stranded on dry land." Strongly reminded me of Roshar. 

Danakil Depression.jpg

Edited by Aryanath

nice one!!

but if it comes to roshar on earth i rly like our similarities with shinovar

• chickens , horses , grass and the rest of plantlife
  • only place with soil 
  • no carapace animamals 
  • no spren 
  • we dont have that big eyes but that could be a contrast with the rest of Roshar's inhabitans

2 hours ago, Eki said:

I like this. I'm having a hard time imagining (eastern) Roshar as anything other than a dull gray. But that's not true - there are lots of plants, and not all stones are gray.

I don't remember, are the stones described as gray specifically in the text anywhere, or with any other colors?  There are tons of potential colors for rocks, and while I also just pictured it all as dull gray, that's probably not really accurate.

For all we know, most of Roshar could look more like this: zhangye-danxia-landform-china-1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I don't remember, are the stones described as gray specifically in the text anywhere, or with any other colors?  There are tons of potential colors for rocks, and while I also just pictured it all as dull gray, that's probably not really accurate.

I don't remember. I mean, the vast majority of it comes from crem, so there might not be THAT much variation. I'd like for it to be, though.

Just now, Eki said:

I don't remember. I mean, the vast majority of it comes from crem, so there might not be THAT much variation. I'd like for it to be, though.

Yeah, but it's possible the crem mixing with different things as it hardens could do that.  Crem itself is a brownish color I think I remember, so the continent is almost certainly not gray like I was originally thinking, at least.

Yeah, nice find!

4 hours ago, harambe said:

we dont have that big eyes but that could be a contrast with the rest of Roshar's inhabitans

Their 'large eyes' are relative. Word of Brandon is that pretty much everyone on Roshar other than the Shin have epicanthic folds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/c9ftd2b/?context=3

• Chaos locked this topic