Tor.com Dream casting SA

bdoble97

On 11/14/2016 at 5:54 AM, Argent said:

Eeehhh, I think that may be overanalyzing it, @maxal. In my experience most people don't look at the details of every character's description, they go with what feels right with the image they have in their head. Often it can be about the vibe of the actor.

Yeah. A lot of people likely imagine characters that are like themselves even with physical descriptions that don't agree with that.

23 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Tom Hiddleston has been Hoid in my mind almost from the beginning, with Paul Bettany being a close runner up!! AUGH! If anything comes true I hope it's that!!!

I think Paul Bettany would would actually be better.  He's ridiculously good at roles along those lines (I love him as Vision, but he'd almost be closer to his performance as Chaucer in A Knight's Tale, probably).

On 11/16/2016 at 0:40 PM, Jondesu said:

I think Paul Bettany would would actually be better.  He's ridiculously good at roles along those lines (I love him as Vision, but he'd almost be closer to his performance as Chaucer in A Knight's Tale, probably).

I think they both would be wonderful.  They both have great voices too, and i think that's huge for Hoid's character.  Bettany has the advantage of age; depending on how Brandon/the casting director envision Hoid.  I think I've liked Paul Bettany in everything I've ever seen him in, Avengers and AKT definitely!  Although the movie was not the best adaptation, "Inkheart" (based on the Cornelia Funke books) had him as Dustfinger.  The movie wasn't great - but he: was PERFECT.

• 4 months later...

Honestly, I only liked four of the picks: Shallan, Jasnah, Syl, and Hoid. I know nobody is going to agree with this but I think that Robert Downey Jr could make a good Dalinar (with a little stage make-up). Of course, my dislike for the picks may just be how I picture the characters. For me, when I watch the movie version of a book, and the movie is different from how I pictured it, it kind of ruins it for me.

1 hour ago, Windrunner19 said:

Honestly, I only liked four of the picks: Shallan, Jasnah, Syl, and Hoid. I know nobody is going to agree with this but I think that Robert Downey Jr could make a good Dalinar (with a little stage make-up). Of course, my dislike for the picks may just be how I picture the characters. For me, when I watch the movie version of a book, and the movie is different from how I pictured it, it kind of ruins it for me.

If we ignore the ethnicity problematic, Robert Downey Jr isn't a bad choice. He does have the rugged look Dalinar has and he is the right age. He is perhaps too handsome, but huh I think that's not a too terrible thing to side-track from the canon. Obviously, casting a Dalinar on the young side implies Adolin's casting has to be on the young side as well.

The Tor.com casting hasn't made unanimity.

• Chaos locked this topic