Winter on Roshar?

bdoble97

Question

8 answers to this question

Roshar has seasons (sort of) but they're very weird, lasting for a period of weeks and coming randomly. Brandon mentioned in an episode of Writing Excuses (transcript) that they're less what we'd think of as seasons and more temperatue variations interpreted as seasons via translation convention. Roshar apparently has no axial tilt and the combination of that and the semi-unpredicatble highstorms do fun things to the planet's weather patterns.

Edited by Weltall

1 hour ago, Secrets said:

Yes there is winter and yes there is snow but I don't remember anything about highstorms snowing (imagine all the snow after it had passed though...)

Shallan mentions snow on multiple occasions...

Ok off the top of my head I can't remember he talking about snow. But I have been reading alot of Sanderson with in the past 3 months I have reread SA read Warbreaker and just finshed the 1st Mistborn book. 

Just now, bdoble97 said:

Ok off the top of my head I can't remember he talking about snow. But I have been reading alot of Sanderson with in the past 3 months I have reread SA read Warbreaker and just finshed the 1st Mistborn book. 

Shallan was the one who mentioned snow

24 minutes ago, Secrets said:

Shallan was the one who mentioned snow

Yes yes, sorry. Did she say how much snow bc I would love to read about them trying to fight in 6 ft of snow I think it woyld cool reading about fighting ontops of huge sheets of ice I wounder how you could keep your footing in shardplate on ice.

Just now, bdoble97 said:

Yes yes, sorry. Did she say how much snow bc I would love to read about them trying to fight in 6 ft of snow I think it woyld cool reading about fighting ontops of huge sheets of ice I wounder how you could keep your footing in shardplate on ice.

I'm not sure but some of what I remember is that when Shallan was in the frostlands, thinking of how cold it was, she thought of how cold it got in areas up north or something where there was snow. I do remember heavy snow being mentioned. Snow couldn't last to long though, as weather and season are  very sporadic on Roshar.

28 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Not going to happen, seasons on roshar are not extreme. as weltall mentioned, they are not real season, just temporary variation. all of roshar has the equivalent of a temperate marine or tropical climate on heart, with small annual variations. so shallan comes from the mountains, it is colder there, you can imagine an average temperature of 10 degrees (all celsius) and it can vary between 0 and 20, so it can snow when it's particularly cold. taylenah is probably colder, average temperature around 5 degrees. but nowhere on the continent there is enough cold to accumulate snow for long. it can make a snowfall, but it melts in a few days. only place where it is cold enough is the icecap.

By the way, related tidbit: while brandon denied the existance of other major landmasses, there must be at least another continent, underneath the polar icecap (we have no mention of a northern icecap, but if there is one, there should be another continent too). You see, if it was all sea, the currents would circulate water and keep it too warm to freeze. on earth, the northern polar icecap only exist because the polar sea is relatively isolated, cut off from the rest of the oceans, and so no current exchanging cold polar water with warm subtropical water could form (partial exception for the gulf stream, which in fact keeps even the svalbard, 2000 km north of the northernmost point of alaska, from being frozen all year; you can see on google earth how the whole polar sea is like a giant cul-de-sac) think if the bering strait was bigger and allowed passage of another similar current). To develop an icecap you need either an isolated sea, or a continent where snow can accumulate.

Edited by king of nowhere

30 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Not going to happen, seasons on roshar are not extreme. as weltall mentioned, they are not real season, just temporary variation. all of roshar has the equivalent of a temperate marine or tropical climate on heart, with small annual variations. so shallan comes from the mountains, it is colder there, you can imagine an average temperature of 10 degrees (all celsius) and it can vary between 0 and 20, so it can snow when it's particularly cold. taylenah is probably colder, average temperature around 5 degrees. but nowhere on the continent there is enough cold to accumulate snow for long. it can make a snowfall, but it melts in a few days. only place where it is cold enough is the icecap.

By the way, related tidbit: while brandon denied the existance of other major landmasses, there must be at least another continent, underneath the polar icecap (we have no mention of a northern icecap, but if there is one, there should be another continent too). You see, if it was all sea, the currents would circulate water and keep it too warm to freeze. on earth, the northern polar icecap only exist because the polar sea is relatively isolated, cut off from the rest of the oceans, and so no current exchanging cold polar water with warm subtropical water could form (partial exception for the gulf stream, which in fact keeps even the svalbard, 2000 km north of the northernmost point of alaska, from being frozen all year; you can see on google earth how the whole polar sea is like a giant cul-de-sac) think if the bering strait was bigger and allowed passage of another similar current). To develop an icecap you need either an isolated sea, or a continent where snow can accumulate.

Wow. You are way smarter them hahah.