Correct Pronunciation

Ammanas

So I have listened to the original audiobook of Elantris by Jack Garrett and am now on Arcanum Unbounded's Hope of Elantris, narrated by Krammer, and have noticed they have different ideas on pronouncing names. Has Brandon clarified the correct way between the options below? The first is Garrett the second is Krammer.

Raoden: Ray-o-den or Raw (rhymes with wow)-den

Shaod: Shay-ode or Shawd (rhymes with shroud).

Edited by Ammanas

There is no correct pronunciation, as far as Brandon is concerned (and this applies to all of his books). There are pronunciations that are correct in-world, but even Brandon doesn't always use those - so whatever sounds right in your head is correct.

This being said, Arelon has a very specific (in-world) way of pronouncing names - the first two vowels are always stressed and open. So Raoden would be something like RAY-OH-den and Shaod would be SHAY-ODE. Which unfortunately means Elantris would be EE-LAYN-tris, but nobody says it that way :)

There was a very old blog that explained all that, you may be able to find it on the website somewhere.

9 hours ago, Argent said:

Which unfortunately means Elantris would be EE-LAYN-tris, but nobody says it that way :)

Oh so I'm a nobody am I? In all seriousness, Elantris isn't so hard to pronounce the way they do in-world. it's Elantrian that is the tricky one.

12 hours ago, Ookla the Indefinite said:

Oh so I'm a nobody am I? In all seriousness, Elantris isn't so hard to pronounce the way they do in-world. it's Elantrian that is the tricky one.

You're weird.

7 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

I thought I saw an old WoB read it as E-LAWN-tris....weird

I don't think I've heard it pronounced quite like that. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2016 at 6:51 PM, Ammanas said:

Thanks everyone! It looks like the Krammer pronunciation is incorrect...I'm surprised someone in Brandons team didn't forward the above pronunciation guide for Arcanum Unbounded. 

Having listened painfully to several clips of Krammer reading these beautiful books, I am not surprised he has some strange pronunciations. He is one of the worst audiobook readers I've come across in a long time :P. I started making my own so I'd have something I could actually listen to without going Hoed :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 9:41 PM, WeiryWriter said:

@WeiryWriter, I've always pronounced it like this too. Apparently We are nobody. Not sure if that puts you in good company or not but there you go.

tenor.gif

As for the Michael Kramer love/hatred, meh he's fine. Kate Redding on the other hand is a delight.

• 5 months later...

Having just finished Elantris on Audio book. I the whole time was wondering just how much of the pronunciations are correct between all the Books I have listened to Mostly of Michael Kramer, at the end of Way of Kings narrated by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, Kate pronounces Sadeas, (Suh Day Us) while the whole entire book, Michael was saying what I assume to be the more common Sadeas (Sad Ee Us), while she joined Michael in the pronunciation in the 2nd book, they still were not united on all the words. Palanquin, was the word I most commonly heard between Palan *Quinn* and Palan *Keen*, I know it's slightly off topic from Elantris. But I believe it holds weight. I believe if any has a WoB on how to pronounce names for certain it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Given the nature of Stormlight I've always felt the varying annunciations are appropriate given the amount of cultural variation in that realm. I mean who am I to judge.  I like Kramer, and I love Reading, But I found myself missing Garrett in the reading of Hope of Elantris. To me it will Ho-eed not hode. It will be Shay ode, not showd. 

• Chaos locked this topic