Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

On 28.05.2017 at 0:23 PM, Oversleep said:

I already posted it in Math & Science thread but I figure more people frequent this one...

main-qimg-5b0690e302a38cf2a8068158199e7a

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I know :D

The whole thing is a very elaborate trolling.

Reveal hidden contents

@Chaos have you seen this? :) that's quite interesting! 

I tried watching a bit of an old Nazi propaganda 'documentary' about Jews. I figured it'd be educational in an unpleasant sort of way to see what kind of subtlety or clever manipulation might have been involved in the build-up to the Nazi atrocities... but less than ten minutes in I came upon this gem.

"These Jews are being made by German forces to clear rubble off the streets following the Polish annexation. They are clearly unaccustomed to hard work, and they don't like it. They would rather be bartering or making loans, where they are in their element..."

I feel like this film was made not to convince decent people to become genocidal racists, and more to reinforce the conviction of people who already believed that. :wacko: Which is scary in its own way... I think probably the only thing more frightening then the video itself are the comments under it on YouTube.

13 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

I tried watching a bit of an old Nazi propaganda 'documentary' about Jews. I figured it'd be educational in an unpleasant sort of way to see what kind of subtlety or clever manipulation might have been involved in the build-up to the Nazi atrocities... but less than ten minutes in I came upon this gem.

"These Jews are being made by German forces to clear rubble off the streets following the Polish annexation. They are clearly unaccustomed to hard work, and they don't like it. They would rather be bartering or making loans, where they are in their element..."

I feel like this film was made not to convince decent people to become genocidal racists, and more to reinforce the conviction of people who already believed that. :wacko: Which is scary in its own way... I think probably the only thing more frightening then the video itself are the comments under it on YouTube.

Yep. We like to think that people are good and could only be tricked by devious means, but it turns out they are just waiting for an opportunity to manifest their worst selves. 

1 hour ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Yep. We like to think that people are good and could only be tricked by devious means, but it turns out they are just waiting for an opportunity to manifest their worst selves. 

Eh, it goes both ways. The positive and negative aspects of human nature are both pretty astounding. I agree that the negative does seem to present itself more often though. 

As a whole, humanity is pretty disgusting. 

:mellow:

Evil overlord who made nine human kings serve him by offering them power. He rules over the wasteland of ash. He was defeated by having the jewelry that contained his lifeforce stolen.

Spoiler

This guy

Spoiler

latest?cb=20120620000759

or this guy?

Spoiler

warmup_20121112___the_lord_ruler_by_inkt

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

:mellow:

Evil overlord who made nine human kings serve him by offering them power. He rules over the wasteland of ash. He was defeated by having the jewelry that contained his lifeforce stolen.

Reveal hidden contents

This guy

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20120620000759

or this guy?

Reveal hidden contents

warmup_20121112___the_lord_ruler_by_inkt

Ooh. You know, I'm conflicted. I'm pretty sure its TLR, not tLotR

@Orlion On a Cob - I think you're wrong here, and quite wrong. The people were at that point already conditioned, or tricked into assuming they were. They weren't looking for an opportunity to show their worst selves; they were tricked into belief they hadn't previously held; as if by a conman. 
Here they're being told that they already knew that Jews were awful. They weren't being told Jews were awful, they were being told they already believed Jews to be awful. The idea is to create cognitive dissonance with the position that no, Jews are not awful. This kind of propaganda assumes a position intentionally to make you fall into that position. 
For this kind of con to be effective, you need to spend some time conditioning your mark first, planting the ideas in their head - which the Nazi's had already done to the German people. This is why this kind of thing is so shocking or dissonant to us; we haven't been conditioned to accept it. 

@Calderis - Oh don't be so pessimistic. As a whole, humanity is pretty amazing. 
Sometimes we're awful, and I'll be the first to admit that there's evil gnawing at the heart of us (after all, that is one of the theological and philosophical positions that I espouse, and is held as a tenant of my faith). But there is also great light and wonder and beauty in us. Do not underestimate humanity! We will always surprise ourselves. 

*crawls onto the forum, flails around a bit, and finally collapses in a heap upon a convenient pile of cushions*

Guys, convention staffing is exhausting.

But ConQuesT is done for another year, which of course means that next month we start planning for 2018. I think I'm gonna have to take an extra day or two off of work in order to properly recover, especially since they're slowing heaping more responsibility onto my shoulders. There is so much that goes into even a small convention like ours.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:13 PM, Mestiv said:

Hmm, if only I knew someone who knew how to do that... :ph34r: so when's your birthday exactly? 

Hee. It's August 24. I turn 40 this year.

4 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

That's so far away :P I'm gonna forget about it 3 times until then :P

This is what Google Calendar reminders are for!

(Seriously, you don't really have to do this. Not that it wouldn't fill me with glee, because it would, but this whole thing is mostly me talking out of my nether regions.)

On 5/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, Oversleep said:

Ideas are like weeds. Before you know it, they got roots and they're growing...

See, there was a thread about what we would want in the Cosmere. I mentioned I'd want to see a Shardworld that is almost entirely water, high seas, naval battles, legendary monsters, pirates, worldhopper crews... and magic system based around air and water currents.

I just realized I started developing those storm mages... for example, storm mage surfer could ride the wave for miles...

Didn't Orson Scott card do something like that?