Hoid book

bdoble97

Question

Im reading The Wax and Wayne Mistborn books right now. Im iabout 150 pgs into book 2 and Hoid showed up. Love seeing his name on the page. So I guess I have 2 question is Hoid inmortal bc there is a 300 year spand between the two mistborn book series, and will his book  be after everything thing or will it be a prequel to all the books in the Cosmere. 

8 answers to this question

He's a lot older than 300 years... he's been alive since before the prologue to the Way of Kings, which is set over 4000 years before Mistborn. (He may have been in a form of stasis for a chunk of that, though.) How he stays alive is a bit of a mystery, but he likes to collect magic from various Shardworlds, so one of them might have granted him something like immortality.

When Brandon has spoken about his plans for Hoid and the cosmere as a whole getting series, he's told us of two sets of books: Dragonsteel, which tells the story of the Shattering of Adonalsium (and is set way in the past); and a Mistborn space trilogy, where Allomancy and Feruchemy are used to achieve faster-than-light travel, that will be a sort of grand finale to the cosmere. Both of those series have Hoid as a main character. Unfortunately, we'll be waiting a long time to get those books... Brandon wants to finish Stormlight before jumping into Dragonsteel.

12 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

He's a lot older than 300 years... he's been alive since before the prologue to the Way of Kings, which is set over 4000 years before Mistborn. (He may have been in a form of stasis for a chunk of that, though.) How he stays alive is a bit of a mystery, but he likes to collect magic from various Shardworlds, so one of them might have granted him something like immortality.

When Brandon has spoken about his plans for Hoid and the cosmere as a whole getting series, he's told us of two sets of books: Dragonsteel, which tells the story of the Shattering of Adonalsium (and is set way in the past); and a Mistborn space trilogy, where Allomancy and Feruchemy are used to achieve faster-than-light travel, that will be a sort of grand finale to the cosmere. Both of those series have Hoid as a main character. Unfortunately, we'll be waiting a long time to get those books... Brandon wants to finish Stormlight before jumping into Dragonsteel.

That sounds amazing. I was wondering if the space opera route was going to be the way he put all the worlds together in the Cosmeres sounds absolutely fantastic. Even though I want to know the two stories of Hoid  books I am in no rush SA is probably my favorite book series ever. The space opera sounds so good I just picture amazingly epic looking Gothic type of spaceships kind of like the Necromancers from Chronicles of Riddick movie as the the ships from the mistborn books. Hahha this has gotten me to excited 

6 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

That sounds amazing. I was wondering if the space opera route was going to be the way he put all the worlds together in the Cosmeres sounds absolutely fantastic. Even though I want to know the two stories of Hoid  books I am in no rush SA is probably my favorite book series ever. The space opera sounds so good I just picture amazingly epic looking Gothic type of spaceships kind of like the Necromancers from Chronicles of Riddick movie as the the ships from the mistborn books. Hahha this has gotten me to excited 

I believe he always did intend to have Mistborn, Dragonsteel and Stormlight Archives act as the anchors to the Cosmere saga. Also, the idea for the space opera has been around since near the beginning; he originally pitched Mistborn as three trilogies covering three periods, the pure fantasy, 20th century and space age.

32 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I believe he always did intend to have Mistborn, Dragonsteel and Stormlight Archives act as the anchors to the Cosmere saga. Also, the idea for the space opera has been around since near the beginning; he originally pitched Mistborn as three trilogies covering three periods, the pure fantasy, 20th century and space age.

So Mistborn, Dragonsteel and Stormlight no Elantris.  I do remember reading somthing awhile back about the space age Mistborn. But the space opera would be a diffrent set of books connecting all the worlds of the cosmere. Right. So ee would get a Mistborn space age triolgy hopefully and then a different space opera saga man that sounds so epic.

18 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

So Mistborn, Dragonsteel and Stormlight no Elantris.  I do remember reading somthing awhile back about the space age Mistborn. But the space opera would be a diffrent set of books connecting all the worlds of the cosmere. Right. So ee would get a Mistborn space age triolgy hopefully and then a different space opera saga man that sounds so epic.

No, those two are the same.

55 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

If you want to do some further reading into Brandon's plans,I can direct you to a couple of places. (Theoryland has a ton of cool quotes, but I don't have the time to link to all of them.) He's also posted some essays about his unpublished history as a writer (he wrote 13 books before his publisher finally bought one, and some of those unpublished books will eventually be updated and rewritten.) He's changed his plans somewhat, to include the four Wax & Wayne Mistborn books, which weren't in his original outline. (That's right, there will be one more of those coming.) He talked about that in the Mistborn section of one of his yearly updates.

36 minutes ago, Eki said:

No, those two are the same.

You're correct that there's only one Mistborn trilogy that would fit that description. However... Brandon has spoken of a space opera that's not Sci-Fi Mistborn that he wants to write. It's been in the works since at least 2011, but he didn't specify in that interview if it was cosmere or not. I suspect it's Adamant, just because there's no room in the 36-book original outline for another cosmere sci-fi series unless Dragonsteel gets really crazy. Or there's a chance it's Dark One, which wasn't in the cosmere at that time.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

If you want to do some further reading into Brandon's plans,I can direct you to a couple of places. (Theoryland has a ton of cool quotes, but I don't have the time to link to all of them.) He's also posted some essays about his unpublished history as a writer (he wrote 13 books before his publisher finally bought one, and some of those unpublished books will eventually be updated and rewritten.) He's changed his plans somewhat, to include the four Wax & Wayne Mistborn books, which weren't in his original outline. (That's right, there will be one more of those coming.) He talked about that in the Mistborn section of one of his yearly updates.

You're correct that there's only one Mistborn trilogy that would fit that description. However... Brandon has spoken of a space opera that's not Sci-Fi Mistborn that he wants to write. It's been in the works since at least 2011, but he didn't specify in that interview if it was cosmere or not. I suspect it's Adamant, just because there's no room in the 36-book original outline for another cosmere sci-fi series unless Dragonsteel gets really crazy. Or there's a chance it's Dark One, which wasn't in the cosmere at that time.

I want to click on the link and read about it but I feel like I should read all of the available cosmere books before I look at any of that stuff.