Kaladin Vs Szeth POV

ddleg

Hi I'm new!

I strongly suspect that the inevitable Kaladin/Szeth battle will end with Szeth being captured alive.

Welcome, Defiant!

The main reason I don't agree with the captured-alive scenario is that there are not many cells that will hold up to a shardblade.

There are ways around this (e.g. round-the-clock guard by two people in plate, or a specially designed cell that will collapse if cut, or maybe just immobilize his hands in a way that he couldn't grasp the blade if he ever did summon it), and maybe the Alethi have had occasion to think of such methods. Still, they don't seem the type to go in for non-lethal force, so I doubt restraining a shardbearer comes up very often.

Edited by ccstat

I think an interesting POV to see the confrontation from would be Jasnah's or Shallah's POV if they don't already know what Kaladin is. A scholarly POV of the battle could be quite informative. However, I think this is unlikely.

Worst scenario would be if Jasnah is there at all. Then from anyone's viewpoint, Kal takes on Szeth, (if the pov isn't Kal) there's a This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules moment when Kaladin reveals his Radiantness, then Jasnah soulcasts Szeth into a pile of dust.

Since Szeth was given instructions to be quick, and our bright scholars have been delayed at sea, I doubt Jasna or Shallan will be present to have a POV.

Therefore the assassin will have to face the men, and be spared the fate of joining Navani's rare-paperweight collection.

Edited to add link

Edited by Lorna

Welcome, Defiant!

The main reason I don't agree with the captured-alive scenario is that there are not many cells that will hold up to a shardblade.

There are ways around this (e.g. round-the-clock guard by two people in plate, or a specially designed cell that will collapse if cut, or maybe just immobilize his hands in a way that he couldn't grasp the blade if he ever did summon it), and maybe the Alethi have had occasion to think of such methods. Still, they don't seem the type to go in for non-lethal force, so I doubt restraining a shardbearer comes up very often.

It's way too early in the series to kill Szeth. He needs a redemption arc. He's been questioning his path all over the place. Brandon isn't George R.R. Martin. He follows story arcs to a narrative conclusion. Szeth surrendering his shardblade would be the start of a redemption arc.

It's way too early in the series to kill Szeth. He needs a redemption arc. He's been questioning his path all over the place. Brandon isn't George R.R. Martin. He follows story arcs to a narrative conclusion. Szeth surrendering his shardblade would be the start of a redemption arc.

Offtopic: GRRM does too. I can't really think of anyone he's killed prematurely.

I agree, though, that it's too early to kill Szeth. Brandon can claim dead characters might get a flashback book, but I don't believe he'd do that.

I am in the Szeth-has-an-honorblade camp, and I think that means Brandon might be able to kill him off before redemption.  We know other holders of honorblades have come back after being killed, so if he has an honorblade, he might come back somehow.  

THe cover with Kaladin, the kneeling spear man, in the full version, there is a guy in faded/grubby white, standing on a pile of corpses, with a sword, which i guess is a shardblade. That is the back side of the cover. We can all guess who that is, so the big fight is apparently on the shattered plains themselves.

Kaladin is supposed to guard dalinor and his family, so would they accompany his sons on to the battlefield themselves, or stick to the king. An assassination on the plains would be easier than in the camps, and his abilities would allow for a quick escape.

The thing is, his team would know the powers are dependant on storm light, so every crystal and stone would be removed or covered, until the ooponent is weaken enough to be over whelmed by superior numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic