Douglas Venture

Kered

Question

So finally got the time to finish SoS, and I noticed Douglas Venture, then my jaw dropped. I did a check on Coppermind and Theoryland, and I haven't found anything significant. Which leads me to think I'm going crazy. Because, as Elend was the "last" Venture, the line should not have continued. Unless, Vin and Elend secretly had a kid. I feel that if that were the case, the heir of Vin and Elend would not introduced as a drunk. The only other conclusion I could think of is that, in honor of Elend and his deeds, one of the Originators decided to take on the name "Venture" to keep the house alive. 

Is there a WoB somewhere, or something big I'm missing? Has Douglas ever been talked about, other than in SoS?

3 answers to this question

On 22.12.2015 at 6:41 PM, Comatose said:

Technically, it's not clear any of Straff's children besides Elend would have been named 'Venture' because of their illegitimacy, though nothing would have stopped them from claiming it later. 

Also, the Ventures are a fairly old family, so Straff also had cousins, uncles, aunts, etc, all of whom could have had descendants live to the present day.  Keep in mind, the Ventures got out of Luthadel before the rebellion, and Vin only had to kill Straff and some of his generals before getting the troops to surrender.  Assuming many Ventures would have accompanied Straff back to Luthadel, lots of them would have escaped the Citizen's purge of nobles in Urteau, so those that survived the seige of Luthadel would have only had the end of the world to deal with. 

We know for certain Straff at least had a legitimate Venture nephew (who he intended to name as heir if Shan managed to kill Elend), and we never hear what happens to him, so maybe Douglas is his descendant? 

I mean, the Tekiels have made a com back despite the ruling branch being slaughtered by its rivals in Book 1, so it makes sense that the Ventures have as well. 

source post

I feel like I read a WoB on the matter. In any case, another explanation is that while Elend was the last Venture, it was only of the main branch on the family. It's possible that there was a side branch of Ventures somewhere else in the Final Empire which persisted through the Catacendre.