Allomantic gold

Elendtheking

Hello everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

So i was recently thinking about the proprieties of allomantic gold and its interactions with the cognitive realm. It seems likely that it lets someone see himself in the cognitive realm: it lets you see how you view yourself.

Here's where I begin speculating: I'm thinking that if you burn gold and Duralumin at the same time you can fully access the cognitive realm and so travel to other places. This might be how a certain character went to a certain place after Secret History to help a certain people (I'm being vague because i don't know how to do spoiler posts).

This might be a bit like opening a mini perpenducalitary (don't know how to write it) between the physical and cognitive realm like Brandon Sanderson said an Elsecaller did.

Please post your thoughts on the subject.

The Temporal Quadrant of Allomancy seems to be deeply Spiritual more than Cognitive as the future sight (as the past sight) is Spiritual dependant. You don't see "how you view yourself" you simply see an "alternative you"....you may notice as TLR hardly see himself like an happy packman (both for the happy and the packman).

Anyway I am unsure about your idea of Gold+Durallumin as a way to worldhop...but indeed is interesting. The only counterproof I could provide is about Elend and his Atium+Durallumin who simply give to him a real Future sight instead of carry him in the Cognitive.

8 minutes ago, Elendtheking said:

This might be how a certain character went to a certain place after Secret History to help a certain people (I'm being vague because i don't know how to do spoiler posts).

He could simply run/use other fast travel to get there, he didn't need to worldhop to performe this feat...but this is tangental to your theory

Thanks for the reply. 

I can't answer most of this because I don't have the books with me but I don't see why the atium duralumin use should have sent Elend in the cognitive realm (we also don't know a lot about atium).

Also, What sort of fast travels are you thinking about (post catacendre there's an ocean between the south and the north so he could't have run the whole distance and steel pushing seems difficult)

Just now, Elendtheking said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I can't answer most of this because I don't have the books with me but I don't see why the atium duralumin use should have sent Elend in the cognitive realm (we also don't know a lot about atium).

Also, What sort of fast travels are you thinking about (post catacendre there's an ocean between the south and the north so he could't have run the whole distance and steel pushing seems difficult)

Hm.. Worldhopping might be possible to there through more traditional means, but with access to feruchemy and alomancy, compounded steelrunning and enhanced steelpushing (and manipulation of other powers) would probably be what's going on. Drawing on health and heat would probably help with the problem of friction from air resistance. (on heat, Brandon has stated before and we've seen that by necessity, drawing or storing attributes gives a measure of resistance to things, so thus drawing on heat should help with that.

34 minutes ago, Elendtheking said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Because atium is a temporal metal which uses the spiritual realm to create the images, like gold. So since both operate using the same mechanics, a duralumin-enhanced burn should achieve similar effects, propelling the allomancer's awareness into the spiritual realm.

4 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Because atium is a temporal metal which uses the spiritual realm to create the images, like gold. So since both operate using the same mechanics, a duralumin-enhanced burn should achieve similar effects, propelling the allomancer's awareness into the spiritual realm.

Shards such as Ruin "exist"(don't know how to say it otherwise) on all 3 realms so shouldn't god metals affect all three too.

13 minutes ago, Elendtheking said:

Shards such as Ruin "exist"(don't know how to say it otherwise) on all 3 realms so shouldn't god metals affect all three too.

Well not really, for example Malatium (the Eleventh metal) is a god metal alloy (Atium+gold) and it works simply as "Gold on others".

The Lerasium (another godmetal) work rewriting the Soul (so a Spiritual effect)...there are of course ramification for this, but its effect is spiritual

@Secrets I know it is an uncool solution, but a prepared team may overcome the friction problem with a simple and mundane aerodynamic shiled.

Edited by Yata

3 minutes ago, Yata said:

Well not really, for example Malatium (the Eleventh metal) is a god metal alloy (Atium+gold) and it works simply as "Gold on others".

The Lerasium (another godmetal) work rewriting the Soul (so a Spiritual effect)...there are of course ramification for this, but its effect is spiritual

Where was it said that malatium worked like gold on others?

Just now, Elendtheking said:

Where was it said that malatium worked like gold on others?

You see it, when Vin burnt it..She see the GoldShadow of TLR and an Inquisitor.

If you prefer something more official

KIRRIN (15 OCTOBER 2008)

Also, you should tell us what the last two metals are.

BRANDON SANDERSON (15 OCTOBER 2008)

The last two metals are Chromium and Nicrosil. We'll reveal what they do on the Allomancy poster. Suffice it to say that in the next trilogy, the main protagonist would be a Nicrosil Misting. And, to make a Robert Jordan-type comment, what those two metals do should become obvious to the serious student of Allomancy... (It has to do with the nature of the metal groupings.)

HAPPYMAN

If I read the poster correctly, and have the correlations down, these metals are the external enhancement metals.

The simplest idea is that they do to another person what Aluminum and Duralumin do to the Allomancer burning them. If this is true, then Chromium would destroy another Allomancer's metals (useful skill, that, especially in a group of Mistings fighting a Mistborn) while Nicrosil would cause the target's metals that are currently burning to be burned in a brief, intense flash. This could be used either to enhance a group of Mistings or to seriously mess up an enemy Allomancer.

PETER AHLSTROM

The other metals do not have exact one-to-one power correlations like that, so it seems more likely to me that they would work differently. It could be like an area effect weakening or enhancing spell. You would want an enhancer in your party, and you wouldn't want to go up against a weakener.

Nicrosil is a rather more complicated alloy than the others. It's an interesting one to pick, rather than something simpler like nichrome (though I guess that's actually a brand name).

BRANDON SANDERSON

Nicely done.

Ookla is right, the others don't have 1/1 correlations. But I liked this concept far too much not to use it.

In a future book series, Mistborn will also have become things of legend. The bloodlines will have become diluted to the point that there are no Mistborn, only Mistings—however, the latter are far more common. In this environment, a Nicrosil Misting could be invaluable both as an enhancer to your own team or a weapon to use against unsuspecting other Mistings.

DOUGLAS (17 OCTOBER)

I take it either Spook did not have children or Sazed made him a reduced-strength Mistborn rather than giving him the full potency of the 9 originals and Elend?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Spook is a reduced power Mistborn.

CHAOS (16 OCTOBER)

Very interesting about the Nicrosil.

So, if there is no more atium, then that would mean in any future trilogy, there would only be 14 metals, right? Somehow, that doesn't seem right, but maybe that is because it irks me that one quartet to be left incomplete with the absence of atium.

Would it be possible for Sazed to create a replacement metal, by chance, or will the temporal quartet remain inherently empty? It doesn't seem like it's too far of a stretch for Sazed to make more metals: after all, the metal Elend ate was a fragment of Preservation, and now Sazed holds Preservation.

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's a RAFO, I'm afraid. Suffice it to say that what the characters think they understand about the metals, they don't QUITE get right. If you study the interaction between the temporal metals, you might notice an inconsistency in the way they work...

PETER AHLSTROM

Uh-huh. That was already noticed by theorizers in the forums here. Gold works like Malatium and Electrum works like Atium. Yet they're on opposite corners of the metal square.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ah. I wondered if that had been noticed.

FOOTNOTE

This future book series is the second Mistborn Trilogy, not Alloy of Law. It seems that at the time of Alloy of Law, the people don't have a knowledge of nicrosil and chromium.

4 minutes ago, Yata said:

@Secrets I know it is an uncool solution, but a prepared team may overcome the friction problem with a simple and mundane aerodynamic shiled.

*sniffles* I guess a aerodynamic shield would work *sniffles*... I just wanted to use some fun magical solutions...

But I guess in some ways an aerodynamic shield would work better.

17 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Practically everything exists on all three realms.

True, though for sentient entities, their presence and awareness of the three realms varies.

and @Elendtheking, the god metals investiture is in a solid form. As was mentioned in the books, this investiture in a solid form is powerful, but doesn't have an expansive use. Each metal does certain things, and both Atium and Lerasium do things in the spiritual realm, Atium gives you sight into the spiritual realm (in varying ways, depending on burn rate), and Lerasium rewrites and adds to your spiritweb, adding the power of a Lerasium Mistborn to all allomantic powers. It also does something else, which we still don't know. Currently searching for reference in database.

EDIT: here!

Interview: Mar 16th, 2012

A "Late-Breaking" Report (Paraphrased)

BRANDON SANDERSON (paraphrased)

Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.

Tags

Edited by Secrets

Fair enough, but that argument still doesn't hold to argue that burning atium allows for interactions with the spiritual realm while burning gold does not. First of all, regardless of Ruin's awareness, atium is just a piece of power cast into physical form. It does not gain any awareness that the greater mind possesses. Secondly, the investiture that powers gold allomancy is directly from a shard as well, Preservation, so no reason why it can't achieve the effect of entering the spiritual realm as temporal allomancy requires.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Secrets said:

*sniffles* I guess a aerodynamic shield would work *sniffles*... I just wanted to use some fun magical solutions...

But I guess in some ways an aerodynamic shield would work better.

*sings* unless you're an EDGEDANCER or a DUSTBRINGER. magical solution :)

• Chaos locked this topic