3 Lashes only use the Gravity Surge – Atmospheric Pressure Surge abilities are not in Ars Arcanum - WoR Updated

KiManiak

Here is a 7 min video with a practical demonstration of the power of air pressure in the context of a localized vacuum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcd9SRax3I

With that in mind, if Kaladin had remote control over where a vacuum was placed in air, he could put a tube of vacuum between any person and an object like a rock or arrow and cause instantaneous death more or less.  Or asphyxiation.  Or hemorrhaging.  It seems like a bit too powerful of a weapon for a Sanderson protagonist, so I assume that it can't be done remotely.  IE you have to be touching an object to place a vacuum near it.  

I guess it could still be used for flying (for yourself only) by creating an infinitesimally thin vacuum in front of you.  Of course, that could only happen by pushing the particles in front of you out of the way.  If you went fast enough you would certainly break the sound barrier, and that would really be annoying for people living below you.  Or it could be used as a signal!  Instead of horns to call people to plateaus you just have a surgebinder fly by...  Incidentally, it's a good thing you don't need to breathe when you are infused with stormlight or there would be a problem with the vacuum in front of you.

Edited by soulcastJam

Fascinating... Imagine the possibilities of placing a written message or item inside a small metal cylinder and vacuum-launching it across a battlefield. Imagine the power of a greatbow fired by a Surgebinder with the pressure surgebinding. Imagine a Surgebinder creating a vacuum next to himself when fighting enemies, then slashing through the vacuum with a shard blade, cutting through all those sucked into that tight space.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum and hope that I'm not repeating anybody.  But, in regards to the surge of atmospheric pressure (very mild spoilers for WoR)....

Is it possible that when Kaladin was first learning to use basic lashings - flying above the shattered plains - he was unconciously using the surge of Atmospheric Pressure?  I say this because Kaladin specifically mentions that the air isn't as thin as Rock said it should be.  Could he be using Atmospheric Pressure unconciously to create a pocket of breathable air around him?

That's all!  Feedback appreciated.

I'm new to the forum and hope that I'm not repeating anybody.  But, in regards to the surge of atmospheric pressure (very mild spoilers for WoR)....

Is it possible that when Kaladin was first learning to use basic lashings - flying above the shattered plains - he was unconciously using the surge of Atmospheric Pressure?  I say this because Kaladin specifically mentions that the air isn't as thin as Rock said it should be.  Could he be using Atmospheric Pressure unconciously to create a pocket of breathable air around him?

That's all!  Feedback appreciated.

Unlikely. He wouldn't be breathing while flyinf due to Stormlight anyway,

• Chaos locked this topic