Urithiru is Soulcast & What's Up With Holy Crem

So I was stewing about this and found out Falconite beat me to the conclusion by a few years in http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/7493-something-holy-about-urithiru-and-shinovar/

But wanted to gather what we know and have a think:
-    Szeth says he can stand on the stones in Urithiru.
-    Shin are OK with using/touching metal as long as it’s soulcast, so might they feel the same about stone?
-    WoB says the distinction is cultural: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1107#19
So I agree with Falconite, Urithiru is an immense soulcast structure or collection of structures.  What think you?

Furthermore, as such an old place can *still* be considered OK to tread upon by Szeth:
-    There must be no crem build-up.  Or at the very least there is no crem build-up on the upper part of the tower.
-    Also there are glass windows facing east.  Again, at least in the upper part of the tower.
-    Then there is partial confirmation that Urithiru is protected from Easterly storms (Everstorm) by mountain(s) and (possibly) protected from westerly storms (Highstorms) because of extreme height: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1100#1
So Storms do not touch this place. Or at least they don’t touch the upper tower.

Which leads me to my second point/question.  Why is Crem "hallowed?"  We know it is not completely natural. (http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1163#39)  Is that all there is to it?  The Shin are aware of its nature?

35 minutes ago, ArborealEtymologist said:

-    Shin are OK with using/touching metal as long as it’s soulcast, so might they feel the same about stone?

I don't think the Shin revere metal the same way they do with stone. Rather it seems to me that they instead have a problem with mining metal since that destroys the stone which they do revere.

From the Way of Kings' Rysn interlude:

Vstim waved and some of the guards brought over a heavy crate. They set it down and pried off the top, revealing its peculiar contents. Pieces of scrap metal, mostly shaped like bits of shell, though some were formed like pieces of wood. It looked to Rysn like garbage that had—for some inexplicable reason—been Soulcast into metal.

“Ah,” Thresh said, squatting down to inspect the box. “Wonderful!”

“Not a bit of it was mined,” Vstim said. “No rocks were broken or smelted to get this metal, Thresh. It was Soulcast from shells, bark, or branches. I have a document sealed by five separate Thaylen notaries attesting to it.”

35 minutes ago, ArborealEtymologist said:

-    There must be no crem build-up.  Or at the very least there is no crem build-up on the upper part of the tower.

I'm pretty sure that there is crem build-up. It's why Dalinar had problems getting onto the roof of Urithiru.

From Chapter 89 of Words of Radiance:

The trapdoor refused to open, despite being unlocked. He’d oiled the parts. Why wasn’t it moving?

Crem, of course, he thought. He summoned his Shardblade and made a series of quick cuts around the trapdoor. Then, with an effort, he was able to force it to open. The ancient trapdoor swung upward and let him out onto the very top of the tower city.

Edited by BlackYeti

On 3/20/2017 at 2:16 PM, BlackYeti said:

I'm pretty sure that there is crem build-up. It's why Dalinar had problems getting onto the roof of Urithiru.

Bah, good point!  Then in what way is it different from the stones on the rest of Roshar?  Any ideas?  Absence of Crem seemed the obvious answer - but I didn't recall the moment with Dalinar hacking his way up.  Is Dalinar making an assumption?  Did he instead have to dismiss a lashing on the door perhaps?  And did so without realizing what he was doing?

Edited by ArborealEtymologist
Said Shinovar when I meant Roshar.

33 minutes ago, Figberts said:

If crem is shard poop, then where there are spren there should be crem.

Crem is fairly likely to not be from shards since it existed before shards were on Roshar. Even if you're still extrapolating that crem is some physical manifestation of waste from spren, that makes no sense as then there would be the spontaneous appearance of crem indoors, which has never been observed. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Yeah crem existed before the Shards arrived (Cultivation at least, so I'm assume all three), and is likened to Shard-poop rather than spren-poop.

QUESTION

Is crem spren poop? Or at least… not literally, but something like it?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it’s more like Shard poop. (Somewhat unsure sounding?

LINDEL

Crem and the Purelake on Roshar. Do they have any connection to Cultivation?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Both existed on the planet before Cultivation arrived.

QUESTION

But both are influenced by her now?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, she influences both.

I expect it's basically wasteproduct of investiture so it existed before because of Adonalsium's investiture but now it includes that of at least Cultivation, maybe Honor (if splintering doesn't prevent that). Probably not Odium as we believe he's confined to Braize.

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

QUESTION

Is crem spren poop? Or at least… not literally, but something like it?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, it’s more like Shard poop. (Somewhat unsure sounding?

Award for the strangest WoB I will read today goes to this gem.

Uruthiru could possibly have been soulcast if a bunch of Lightweavers/Elsecallers gathered to form it. Interesting idea!

• Chaos locked this topic