Shards on Scadrial

Thinker

reading through some archives for a new theory of mine and found this:

INTERVIEW: Oct, 2008

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)

With all the talk about action and reaction and whatnot, will some force form to counter Sazed's new Ruin/Preservation mix? It seems to me like the whole nature of the world can't stand to have one person unopposed.

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

Ruin and Preservation were not the only Shards of Adonalsium, though they are the only ones on Scadrial at the moment. Sazed's ability to be both at once is actually something I drew from Eastern mythology, where it is believed that the ability to contain two opposing forces at the same time represents ultimate harmony. The Buddha, for instance, was said to have performed the miracle of producing both fair and ice from his hands at the same time.

CHAOS

Is "Scadrial" the proper name to refer to the Mistborn world?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Scadrial is indeed the name of the planet.

this was written before the second trilogy [AoL, SoS, BoM] meaning that the 2 shards came after sazed ascended. this makes it likely that one of the 2 is the one sazed can sense, and the "one that is less obvious" [paraphrased] would have only come after the ascension, narrowing down the options, thought it was interesting and might help?

2 hours ago, Thinker said:

this was written before the second trilogy [AoL, SoS, BoM] meaning that the 2 shards came after sazed ascended. this makes it likely that one of the 2 is the one sazed can sense, and the "one that is less obvious" [paraphrased] would have only come after the ascension, narrowing down the options, thought it was interesting and might help?

I... do not follow this train of thought. Could you explain?

52 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I... do not follow this train of thought. Could you explain?

I think it might be possible he misread the quote. 

3 hours ago, Thinker said:

reading through some archives for a new theory of mine and found this:

INTERVIEW: Oct, 2008

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)

With all the talk about action and reaction and whatnot, will some force form to counter Sazed's new Ruin/Preservation mix? It seems to me like the whole nature of the world can't stand to have one person unopposed.

BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)

Ruin and Preservation were not the only Shards of Adonalsium, though they are the only ones on Scadrial at the moment. Sazed's ability to be both at once is actually something I drew from Eastern mythology, where it is believed that the ability to contain two opposing forces at the same time represents ultimate harmony. The Buddha, for instance, was said to have performed the miracle of producing both fair and ice from his hands at the same time.

CHAOS

Is "Scadrial" the proper name to refer to the Mistborn world?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Scadrial is indeed the name of the planet.

I think what Brandon meant was that other shards besides Ruin and Preservation exist, but only those two shards are on Scadrial. 

• Chaos locked this topic