Hoid's Ten Commandments

Spoolofwhool

So Hoid has been dropping some nice pearls of wisdom at the end of each Stormlight Archive book to date, with the WoB that he'll have another monologue in Oathbringer. I've decided to make a small post of the essence of each one, dubbing the list "Hoid's Ten Commandments," with the hope that by the end of SA we'll have ten. 

Currently have it in English and High Imperial. It would be really cool if someone could make Women Script versions as well.

Hoid's Ten Commandments (English)

1. Thou shall value timeliness above all else. (The Way of Kings)
  2. Thou shall find God within thy hearts. (Words of Radiance)
  3. (Oathbringer)
  4. (Unknown)
  5. (Unknown)
  6. (Unknown)
  7. (Unknown)
  8. (Unknown)
  9. (Unknown)
  10. (Unknown)

Wasing Commanding the Ten of Hoid (Scandrian High Imperial)

1. Ising needing of time the first. (The Way of Kings)
  2. Ising with heart the finding of God. (Words of Radiance)
  3. (Oathbringer)
  4. (Unknown)
  5. (Unknown)
  6. (Unknown)
  7. (Unknown)
  8. (Unknown)
  9. (Unknown)
  10. (Unknown)
Edited by Spoolofwhool

So this post may be a little pedantic, but your early modern English grammar is a little wrong. Specifically, the word "shalt": as I understand it this can only be used if it is immediately followed by the word "not", i.e. if you are forbidding something. Otherwise the word "shall" should be used instead. So, "Thou shalt not kill" is correct, but "Thou shall not kill" is wrong. And similarly, "Thou shalt value novelty above all else" is wrong. It should be "Thou shall value novelty above all else".

Now, more on topic: if I remember the epilogue to The Way of Kings correctly, Hoid eventually settled not on novelty as the thing that people value the most, but instead on timeliness. He was using the discussion to point out that (the-man-who-may-or-may-not-be-but-almost-certainly-is) Taln had arrived late.

Also if I might suggest, an Eleventh Commandment could be added from Elantris: "Thou shall find beauty in the fact that there are secrets which remain unknown".

My prediction for Book 10 (or possibly Book 5):

10. Thou shalt put the needs of the many before the needs of the few.

10. Ising the greater needing of the many (my High Imperial isn't strong).

Ties into Hoid sadly watching Roshar burn.

It would be interesting if Hoid does indeed dispense similar pearls of wisdom at the end of each book. In the absence of any clue what he'll talk about I've decided to have some fun and tweak the real-world version (well, one version since there are several versions/divisions) in a Hoidian manner. Tagged because wall o'text. :D

1. Thou shalt have no other gods but Adonalsium. Unless he's dead, in which case worshipping Bacon is okay.

2. Thou shalt not make any images of me without asking first. I'm so photogenic that I want to make sure you capture my essence properly.

3. Thou shalt not take the names of thy lords and/or saviors in vain. Because they're probably listening and might actually respond, so make it count.

4. Remember to take some time off to chill, but I'm not telling you what day because even I can't keep all your calendars straight.

5. Honor your family, unless they're chulls like Straff Venture.

6. Thou shalt not kill. I really mean this one, I can't and you shouldn't.

7. Thou shalt not cheat on your partner(s) but other than that, I really don't care what you do in your spare time.

8. Thou shalt not steal. Do as I say, not as I do.

9. Don't lie. Talking in circles and non-answers are totally okay though.

10. Covet all you like but don't do anything illegal. Lift, this means you!

On 4/20/2017 at 11:28 PM, Extesian said:

My prediction for Book 10 (or possibly Book 5):

10. Thou shalt put the needs of the many before the needs of the few.

Ties into Hoid sadly watching Roshar burn.

That would be... depressing. And yet entirely in line with what he tells Dalinar in WoR and with a lot of speculation that Roshar as a planet might not make it to the end of the Cosmere.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic